Horror Films

Started by Quintaros, Sat 01/11/2003 01:50:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Snake

QuoteET. The Extra Terrestrial (come on, who when they were little didn't get freaked out when the kids found him and he freaked out going OWOOAOAOW!!!!!11)
lol! Holy shit I remember that! I love that part! Did you see the other version where they used computer graphics for ET? It sucks...I like the robot munchkin ET better :P

Mine are:
The Return of the Living Dead - Jesus Christ I love this movie. Can't wait until I find the DVD. The most memorable moment from that movie is when Gina goes down in the basement and that black slimey motherfucker pops out of nowhere...yikes

Amityville(sp?) 1 - I love the part where that girl is telling her mother that she scared her friend away and she flew out the window...she goes and checks and...BWAHAHAHA!!!1 SHIT!
closes eyes and covers face...then wipes his ass with Boyd's hair

The Ring - I just recently saw this. Everyone on IRC thinks it sucks, but poobungies to them because I liked it. The beginning freaked me out the most since the legend was built up and shit went from there, then that girl went up to her room and REEEEEEEEEAAAARGH! Damn.
I'd like to see Ringu since it looks a lot freakier.

I can't think of anything else...

One thing I'm getting sick of, is all these movies that have these little kids that know everything about what's going on and such...it's so damned cliche it's not funny. Know what I'm saying? Was it "The Sixth Sence" that started it or what??

Anyway, if I think of anymore movies I like, I'll post again.

cya

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

remixor

Quote from: Rincewind on Sun 02/11/2003 11:00:11
- Evil Dead (1981)
Just saw this one recently, and it is really, really scary. I usually don't consider gore to be a plus in any movie(Well, maybe in Braindead, but then I don't consider that to be a real horror movie either...) but in this film it didn't really disturb me that much - It just made it a lot more creepy, in my opinion...
And one thing's for sure: I'm not going down into the cellar of our cabin up in the woods. Ever.

See Evil Dead 2!  See Evil Dead 2!  It's sort of like Braindead in concept, but about a gajillion times better.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Miez

Quote from: remixor on Mon 03/11/2003 06:00:43
- Evil Dead (1981)
Just saw this one recently, and it is really, really scary. I usually don't consider gore to be a plus in any movie(Well, maybe in Braindead, but then I don't consider that to be a real horror movie either...) but in this film it didn't really disturb me that much - It just made it a lot more creepy, in my opinion...
And one thing's for sure: I'm not going down into the cellar of our cabin up in the woods. Ever.

See Evil Dead 2!  See Evil Dead 2!  It's sort of like Braindead in concept, but about a gajillion times better.

Evil Dead 2 is very phunny, especially when the walls start vomiting these industrial strength torrents of goo ... BUT it's not a scary movie. Evil Dead 1 has a sort of gritty, low budget, Blair-witch-meets-snuff-mobie quality to it that makes it damn scary.
In my opinion - but I'm just a little wuss ...  ::)

remixor

Quote from: miez on Mon 03/11/2003 08:22:32
Quote from: remixor on Mon 03/11/2003 06:00:43
- Evil Dead (1981)

Evil Dead 2 is very phunny, especially when the walls start vomiting these industrial strength torrents of goo ... BUT it's not a scary movie. Evil Dead 1 has a sort of gritty, low budget, Blair-witch-meets-snuff-mobie quality to it that makes it damn scary.
In my opinion - but I'm just a little wuss ...  ::)

Oh man, that scene with the walls rules.  Bruce Campbell's face when he starts to notice something wrong is brilliant, and then when it's followed by the ABSURD amount of blood...bwahahah!  What a great movie.
Yeah, Evil Dead 1 and Evil Dead 2 are quite different movies.  As you say, Evil Dead 1 has that gritty horror feel; Evil Dead 2 is more of a remake than a sequel.  It basically takes the plot of ED1 and redoes it in more of a humorous setting.  Both are great, for different reasons.

One thing must be said, though, and I'll spoiler this for those who haven't seen ED2, because it must be experienced for oneself.
Spoiler
The scene in which Bruce Campbell grafts the chainsaw onto the stump of his arm, then saws off his shotgun and says "Groovy." is one of the absolute most awesome and badass scenes in movie history.
[close]

GarageGothic

I just bought the Evil Dead trilogy DVDs last week. Bruce Campbell is a comical genius. Why isn't this man a huge star by now? Anyway, I wouldn't classify them as horror (maybe the first film, but that's, in my opinion, the weakest of the bunch), so on to the real stuff.

I was surprised to see how similar people's tastes in horror are to my own. If I'm able to pull off what I'm trying to do with Shadowplay, you guys are going to love it. Most of these movies have already been mentioned, but here goes:

The Haunting - An absolute masterpiece. One of the most unsettling films ever. The remake ruined everything that was good about the original.

Don't Look Now - Still scares the shit out of me. To this day, I can't see a red raincoat without fliching.

Angel Heart - Great detective story, great horror film, fabulous New Orleans atmosphere. I've always felt that this is what inspired Gabriel Knight 1, although the stories are completely different.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, Lost Highway & Mulholland Drive - Though far from perfect, these movies show David Lynch's incredible talent for the uncanny. Highlights: The first half hour of LH, The two-guys-at-the-diner in MH, and the David Bowie scene in FWWM. Spooky. If you can get your hands on his 1-minute short, Premonitions Following and Evil Deed, do so. It's the best of Lynch condensed into a single minute of film.

Pet Sematary - I wanted to have just one Stephen King-adaptation on the list, and while The Shining was an obvious choice, I never really liked it as an adaptation (but I still find it scary as hell). Pet Sematary isn't a masterpiece, but it's incredibly atmospheric, that kid is so creepy, it has two Ramones songs, and Re-Animator ripped off the ending.

In the Mouth of Madness - Not John Carpenter's best movie, but certainly one of the best Lovecraft-inspired films ever. You either love it or hate it. I think the 3 or 4 copies (I keep taping it until I get a letterboxed copy) in my collection speak for themselves :)

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari - THE expressionist film. It isn't really scary, but I love it to pieces. The Caligari style has influnced just about anything I've done within visual arts.

Vampyr - Carl Th. Dreyer, 1932. Wonderful atmosphere, incredible use of early sound film. Nearly as good as The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari.

Carnival of Souls (1962 version) - Dreamy, surreal, much like Vampyr. Shot on a low budget, but so much more atmospheric than most studio horror.

And then there are all the others: Roger Corman's Poe cycle (anything starring Vincent Price really), Psycho (1960), and a strange Disney family movie from 1980 called The Watcher in the Woods, which really spooked me when I watched it as a kid. I haven't seen it since, I'd probably be disappointed, but man was that scary for a little kid.

12431 unplugged

Quote from: RogerHinders on Sat 01/11/2003 18:13:55

Djurkyrkogården 2(i don´t know the english name, made by stephen king, if anybody knows correct me)

that would be "pet cemetary 2". it wasn't that scary.

remixor

Quote from: GarageGothic on Mon 03/11/2003 10:20:01
I just bought the Evil Dead trilogy DVDs last week. Bruce Campbell is a comical genius. Why isn't this man a huge star by now? Anyway, I wouldn't classify them as horror (maybe the first film, but that's, in my opinion, the weakest of the bunch), so on to the real stuff.

Bruce Campbell is indeed a brilliant comedian and in my opinion an all-around badass.  One of the best things about him is that he can exude his baddassitude without needing to exert it another character.  He can just be there and be imposing.
Anyway, one reason he's not a big star is his public dislike of Hollywood and the way it works.  He always cites the example of Serving Sara, starring Matthew Perry and Liz Hurley.  Campbell had good billing on that movie (he's fourth in the credits), but as he says it was a pile of shit.  Most of his experience with big-name Hollywood people have soured him on the whole thing.  He did have a role in The Hudsucker Proxy, though, and you can't go wrong with the Coen brothers.
Anyway, in all likelihood he'll continue his career as a giant among B-movie actors, but probably won't ever break into the mainstream (nor does he want to).

GarageGothic

QuoteAnyway, in all likelihood he'll continue his career as a giant among B-movie actors, but probably won't ever break into the mainstream (nor does he want to).

I just wish some of his old pals like Raimi and the Coen bros. would use him more (or that he'd let them). He was hilarious as the wrestling announcer in Spiderman.

remixor

Yeah, me too.  He's still in a lot of cameos.  Most of Raimi's movies have him there somewhere, and the Coens have stuck him in a couple (very minor) cameos in a few of their post-Hudsucker films.  It is too bad he doesn't do more with them though.

c.leksutin

Jacob's Ladder and In The Mouth of Madness.

Both very scary.

C.

Pumaman

Watching Evil Dead made me lose my respect for Duke Nukem ._.

Chrille

hehe CJ,  watch They Live
GASPOP software
http://www.gaspop.com

Las Naranjas

I can't think of a Raimi film without Bruce Campbell in a cameo at least. He was even in an episode of Hercules, which I think Raimi produced.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Rincewind

Remixor:
Thanks for the tip - I will check out ED2 if I get the chance. Walls spewing out unsaid amounts of goo sounds just like what I need right now... :) Hehe...

remixor

CJ: Yeah, Duke ripped off most of his catchprases from Bruce Campbell, Evil Dead 2 in particular.  It's rather ridiculous, since most gamers hear those quotes and instantly associated them with Duke Nukem rather than Evil Dead.

Quote from: Las Naranjas on Mon 03/11/2003 22:54:15
I can't think of a Raimi film without Bruce Campbell in a cameo at least. He was even in an episode of Hercules, which I think Raimi produced.

Yeah, he played the King of Thieves guy (I think that's what he was called, I could be wrong; Prince of Thieves maybe?) in a bunch of episodes.

Nine Toes

When I was a little boy, the only kinds of movies that ever scared me, or gave me nightmares were zombie flicks.  "Return Of The Living Dead, Part 2" and the music video for Michael Jackson's "Thriller" always did a real number on me...  So anything with Zombies... like "Day Of The Dead" (I just bought the DVD, hell yeah!), "Return Of The Living Dead", Lucio Fulci's "Zombie", "Resident Evil", or even "28 Days Later".  You just can't go wrong with the living dead...

A few other good ones are "They", "They Live"... I rented one about werewolves that wasn't too bad, I think it was called "Dog Soldiers".

From what I understand, they're even working on a second "Resident Evil" film, due out in 2004... I believe it's called "Resident Evil: Apocalypse".  I don't have an URL for it, so check Google.
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Las Naranjas

Return part 2 was awful. 3 was alright.

1 was sublime of course.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

Fizz

would you marry me, BodyArt?
Zombies are the shit.

and i heard rumors that Romero is working on a new zombie movie´; so thats going to becool.

i think that the RE movie sucks, and i wouldnt see the follow up i f i were payed (maybe if sex with milla jovovich in that 5th element spandex thing was money)

other than that, i have a friend who has worked in the special effects business for over ten years, and he tells me that a whole bunch of zombie flicks are comin up these years. so be patient!

Ghost

he he he... each time i want to see a horror movie my girlfriend hides under the bed... but i saw a good deal of stuff and have to agree: most remakes aren't half as good as they're supposed to be. Like GarageGothic said, the remake of The Haunting destroyed it. As did many other remakes.

horror movies with a supernatural element? so ALIEN doesn't count, no? that scared me stiff when i was about 11. Whew. And Poltergeist had me checking my bed every night. Poltergeist 2 make me check the cover box if I had the right movie ;)

the good old classics, then:

- japanese version of The Ring because it's more disturbing than the remake

- Tarantula and Them, because they have that good old thrilling feeling of "i don't know what's going on"

- The Fly (the original with Ian Price) for the same reasons and because the last scene (the scientiest's head on a fly body eaten by a spider) is not only scary but unbeareable- can you imagine how helpless and scared the poor man must be?

- House on Haunted Hill.  I liked neither 13 ghosts nor ghost ship because, imho, they were too clean, no feeling, no tension. really not. sorry.

- Evil Dead 1 and 2, though 2 is only a remake of 1 with some funny elements. For some strange reasons everyone hits me when I admit
that Army of Darkness isn't my favourite...

- Most of the cheapo scary movie collections- Golden Years, Fright Night Special, Bodybags, Don't walk further- contain some rare gems too.

That's it, ecept for Teletubby reruns...

remixor

Quote from: Ghost on Wed 05/11/2003 08:58:43- Evil Dead 1 and 2, though 2 is only a remake of 1 with some funny elements. For some strange reasons everyone hits me when I admit
that Army of Darkness isn't my favourite...

Really??  Army of Darkness is great, but it has nothing on Evil Dead 2.  Army of Darkness is much more of a comedy, compared to Evil Dead 2's brilliant "funny horror" combination.  Most people I know who enjoy the series wouldn't consider AoD the best.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk