Where do I upload my game?

Started by Jhumjhum, Mon 03/11/2003 04:37:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Jhumjhum

Hi!

I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question. But if I have a finished game, how do I make it available to other people. I don't have any web address. Is there a way to upload it in the AGS site? Its too big to send by E-mail.

Timosity

There's plenty of free hosting sites on the net. Though it does depend on how large the game is.

I use

http://www.tripod.lycos.co.uk/

which has 50MB of space

there's also http://geocities.yahoo.com/

there's thousands of them out there, just do a search on google

Then when you find the one you want, come back and edit your first post, as this is the wrong forum for this question, but don't worry, if you edit it, everyone will still like you.

Jhumjhum

Hey thanx for the prompt reply!  I'm checking them out now.

Timosity

Oh well, I was trying to help out someone new, and gave them info on what to do, if it wasn't moved they probably would have done as I suggested and Edit the main post when they uploaded, then Instead of this thread being silly, it would have actually become the games thread.

maybe give people a little more time AGA, then if still no game, then move it.

AGA

I didn't see your editing suggestion, Tim, I just read the title and automatically moved it :P Good suggestion though, I'll bear that in mind for future instances...

Jhumjhum

:-[ Oops! Sorry, for posting in the wrong forum. I should've edited it like timosity said.

Glad u moved it though.

Felipe

Hey zoomer!
In case you didn't decide for a hosting service yet, maybe you'd also like to take a look at www.freewebs.com it also provides 50 MB for storage of files (wich can be increased 'til 100MB if you ask them), but one of the best things of it is that (I don't know about the ones Timosity suggested, but...) this one has no pop ups, no banners.... nothing.
You can check it to see what other "users" thing about it too ;)
Don't blame me - I didn't know it!   (I have the feeling this will come handy...)

-

Timosity

The only problem with freewebs is the download speed is really slow usually, eg 1kb/s, and if your game is large, it takes hours to download, even if you're on cable.

There isn't really any 'decent' free sites without ads.

You can also check with your ISP cause usually you get some webspace with your internet account, and you won't have ads using that. It may only be 10Mb of space or something though.

The one I use is mainly because it has free PHP/MySQL which is very rare to find for free.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Felipe

Quote from: Tìmosíty on Tue 04/11/2003 06:00:26
The only problem with freewebs is the download speed is really slow usually, eg 1kb/s, and if your game is large, it takes hours to download, even if you're on cable.

There isn't really any 'decent' free sites without ads.

You can also check with your ISP cause usually you get some webspace with your internet account, and you won't have ads using that. It may only be 10Mb of space or something though.

The one I use is mainly because it has free PHP/MySQL which is very rare to find for free.
Hell, I should have known it couldn't be THAT good...
Are you sure this ACTUALLY happens...?I mean, that's not a problem from the computer you're using?
Are there any workarounds for it? :-[
Don't blame me - I didn't know it!   (I have the feeling this will come handy...)

-

Timosity

I know a few people that have used freewebs for their games in the completed games forum and many people from various countries have complained about the slowness of the site.

I also used to have a web1000 site and it was great at first, but some places can't access the sites eg. some places in europe, and there are some little catches with it, the main one being

you have to have a certain amount of page views per MB downloaded.

My account was suspended with no reason given (but probably cause I used a trick that loaded a new page in a tiny frame out of view every 10 secs to get around the page view thing.

I found this site which lists heaps of free sites but I had a look at lots of them and there are plenty of catches.

http://www.webhosts4free.com/webhosts-01.php

but if people want to go through and see if any of the mare any good, go for it.
just be aware that a lot of sites offer heaps of MB's but sometimes the max file size is 200kb

There was one that offered 200MB but the max file size was 400kb (seems silly)

Punch

It's also often worth looking into your ISP's service offers. Quite a few of them provide their users with some webspace, around 10mb is typical. It's usually pretty good, and ad free and all. So take a look.

- Punch

Timosity

he he, Punch, I said that a few posts up, but yes, worth mentioning again as a lot of people probably don't realise this.

Nellie

Just Adventure+ offers hosting for independent adventures.

I can no longer find the forum post, but basically you should e-mail Randy (the editor) for more information.

Jhumjhum

Thanx guys!

I haven't really decided yet. I'm currently checking them all. My game isn't ready yet. I've just planned the plot & the path it will take. I was thinking that maybe I'll put up a demo. (a small 1 room demo) But then I decided that I'll just finish the whole game & maybe then put it up for some people to play & give comments.

As its my first game so I dunno how its gonna be and if it turns out to be really bad then I'll just remove it.  :)

Seeya!!

Femme Stab Mode >:D

Hey, but if you never find a good host, I have plenty of spare webspace you could use for free.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

Jhumjhum

Thanx Femme, I'll keep it in mind.  ;)

TerranRich

I don't mean to be an ass, but this has to be the 8000th time somebody has asked this.

Isn't there a thread out there that explains all this?

AGA

Yes, yes there is. But it's not in the completed games forums, it's in the demos one. I'll make a copy in the completed games forum now...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk