Galaxy Quest: The Arkainian Artifact

Started by cheddar, Sun 09/11/2003 11:17:48

Previous topic - Next topic

cheddar

Hey everyone.

I have completed part 1 of my Galaxy Quest game. This version is considered a beta, but it is 100% complete, I just don't want to make it "offical" until I'm sure there aren't any bugs. I hope it's OK that it's in this forum, it is completed. Depending on the popularity of this release I will make Part 2 - continuing the adventure from where Part 1 left off.

It's a Space Quest-ish adventure, I hope the puzzles aren't too difficult. As for the backgrounds they're hand drawn and scanned - I was really trying to capture the cheap amature-esque badly-drawn (tm) style that is quite popular :)

I also used some sprites from the Insta Game: Space Pack. I wish there were more available, very useful!

Please try it out, here's the link:

http://www.geocities.com/iloveags2003/GalaxyQuest.zip

Here's the walkthrough, but try the game without it:
http://www.geocities.com/iloveags2003/Walkthrough.txt

UPDATE:
- I've added a link to the walkthrough and uploaded a version that fixes a (fairly) minor bug.
- Anyone who plays this: Please give me any suggestions on how I could have made the game better.

Let me know if you find any bugs, or if you're stuck and need a hint :)

Thanks for your support
Cheddar

remixor

I'll download the game as soon as I finish this post, but just so you know there's a (not very good) movie called Galaxy Quest.  I don't know if yours is related at all, but if it's just coincidence you may want to change it to avoid confusion.   It's not too big of a deal though.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Inkoddi

I found a bug:
Spoiler
You can purcase the spaceship without a credit card!!!
[close]

Anyways I'm stuck...
Spoiler
NEED A FINGERPRINT!!
[close]

cheddar

Quote from: remixor on Sun 09/11/2003 12:16:16
I'll download the game as soon as I finish this post, but just so you know there's a (not very good) movie called Galaxy Quest.  I don't know if yours is related at all, but if it's just coincidence you may want to change it to avoid confusion.   It's not too big of a deal though.

Yeah, my game has absolutely nothing to do with Galaxy Quest. Thought that movie was awful :), but I don't think I can get any copyright infrigements? I doubt "Galaxy Quest" is a registered trademark and I don't have any characters/plot similarites to the movie. But I suppose I need to inform fellow AGSers that it's not based on the CRAP movie :)

Thanks

cheddar

Thanks for the bug report, Inkoddi! I've corrected it and uploaded it to my website.

As for your being stuck
Spoiler
Is captain Ahab passed out? If not keep in mind that he doesn't handle alcohol too well. If he is already passed out take a look at the next hint.
[close]

Tried this?
Spoiler
Use the LOOK command on Ahab's glass. It gives you a close-up.
[close]

Still stuck?
Spoiler

Captain Ahab is the only person that can access that part of the ship. If ONLY you could get his finger print from somewhere, short of cutting his hand off of course :).
[close]

OK, I'll just reveal what you have to do if you're still stuck:
Spoiler
LOOK at Ahab's Glass. Use the black powder on his glass. Now figure out how to remove the print from the glass's surface.
[close]

remixor

Quote from: cheddar on Sun 09/11/2003 13:13:05
Quote from: remixor on Sun 09/11/2003 12:16:16

Yeah, my game has absolutely nothing to do with Galaxy Quest. Thought that movie was awful :), but I don't think I can get any copyright infrigements? I doubt "Galaxy Quest" is a registered trademark and I don't have any characters/plot similarites to the movie. But I suppose I need to inform fellow AGSers that it's not based on the CRAP movie :)

Thanks

Yeah, you'll be fine.  A related side note: Sierra never owned the trademark to the name "Space Quest."  It was (and is) owned by an educational company, and Sierra licensed its use for their games.

Anym

C'mon! The movies wasn't THAT bad... :)
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

evilspacefart

hmmm... maybe a bug...
Spoiler
ship is fixed, but how do i get the green guy to join my crew?
[close]

Cheddar (replying)

Hey evilspacefart

Thanks for trying my game:
Spoiler
You should jsut be able to ask him, but there was a bug I thought I'd fixed
Spoiler

[close]
[close]

Artphreak555

i need help:

Spoiler
how can i get Ahab a drink...i don't have any money
[close]

Inkoddi

The game wasn't THAT bad :P but it would be much nicer with an ending :D

LGM

Haven't played yet.. But you're quite wrong about Galaxy Quest.

I thought it was very well done and funny. I try and watch it every once and awhile
You. Me. Denny's.

remixor

Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Wed 12/11/2003 05:26:43

I thought it was very well done and funny.

How do you know?  You haven't played it yet.  BWAHAHAHAH i r teh funy.

Alla

Hi,..my Zip files refused to be extracted :say: corrapted files,download again..
Any help?thanks

BorisZ

Quote from: remixor on Wed 12/11/2003 05:36:10
Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Wed 12/11/2003 05:26:43

I thought it was very well done and funny.

How do you know? Ã, You haven't played it yet. Ã, BWAHAHAHAH i are teh funy.

He means the movie, not the game!

jen

How can you say the movie was crap?  It was fantastic!  I mean, you didn't think it was meant to be serious did you?  It was meant to be a spoof on the Star Trek phenomenon.  I thought it was hilarious!  And I can only WISH to look as good as Sigorney Weaver when I'm that age!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk