So what's the story behind your avatar?

Started by Dave Gilbert, Thu 13/11/2003 16:46:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Gilbert

Some of you know that my company manufactures denim for Mudd Jeans.  My avatar comes from one of Mudd's old hang tags:

Am I the only one who is freaked out by this guy?  I don't know what the tag designers were thinking...

Privateer Puddin'

Vel

One sunny day I took a picture of myself in my grandma's yard.
There. I hope you like it.

DGMacphee

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070290/

I'll try and grab a clip from the video sometime soon.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

Al_Ninio

I'm obsessed with Metal Slug.
Best side-scrolling shooter arcade game. EVAR!!1!

*edit* And uh, that's where my avatar is from.

remixor

I like to sit high on my soapbox throne of self-importance and look down condescendingly upon the insignificant gibbering internet masses.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Andail

This is a long story.

When I was young, my parents took me to the museum of natural history. There was a big whale there, which you could go inside to see how big it was.
However, my parents forgot me there, and as the museum closed, they also closed the whale and I was trapped inside.
The following day, my parents came back to look for me, but failed, so they took another kid instead.
And that kid is me, Andail.

SSH

I was walking along one day and then this baby jumped on top of me and wrestled me to the ground. We rolled and rolled in a tussle of death.

Or maybe my wife took this photo of me playing with my daughter at my Gran's house and then I animated it with rotation...

Nostradamus

I was really into South Park at the time I joined, 2.5 years ago. My first avatar wa sKenny on a toilet and then when I saw this animated one I simply loved it.

AGA

Well if you don't recognise my avatar, you don't deserve to be here. Every self respecting adventure fan should recognise Roger Wilco after all! (Thanks go to RobertEric, who originally ripped and animated the gif)

Inkoddi

One day, when I was walking in the forest, a terrifying beast confronted me and tried to eat me. I ran for my life, the beast was only four metres away when I jumped on top of my bike and drove home with the beast left behind. That's where my avatar comes from. (or maybe I was just lazy and drew it in one minute)

Ben

It's one of those things that nobody thinks is funny except for me.. Isn't that the point of avatars?

Ferret

After a year of idling, I though "fuck it". 5 minutes later... avatar!

TEH EDIT : Okay, I actually stole my current screen-name from another website (but hey, who doesn't?). If anyone here reads Atomic Toy, and had visited the site around the time Matrix Reloaded was released, you'd know where I got it from. To everyone else who missed it, well that's too damn bad!

DragonRose

For a long time, I didn't have an avatar because I wanted one of a dragon and I couldn't find one.  So I got a picture of me, messed around with colour balances and filters, and boom!

BEFORE---------------------------------------AFTER

Sorry guys, I'm not really a red head.
Sssshhhh!!! No sex please, we're British!!- Pumaman

Hobbes

A Dutch artist, Bram Vermeulen, makes music, paints, writes, etc. He made this painting about being drunk. I like it. :)

Trapezoid

Mine's the Oingo Boingo mascot logo thingy. Good band.

Oh, I used to have Pee Wee Herman for my avatar. I don't know why.

Esseb

It was originally meant as an inventory object for a game I made. I needed an avatar and felt it lacked a cigarette.

veryweirdguy

Quote from: Ben on Thu 13/11/2003 17:32:15
It's one of those things that nobody thinks is funny except for me.. Isn't that the point of avatars?

Lol yeah, same here.

I made my goose as an icon to go in the bottom corner of every page for a project I did at school, different for each page. He kinda stuck.

TheDude

My avatar's a band called Mother Love Bone.

"Mother Love Bone has become a legendary Seattle band, but its music is less familiar than its story. The heroin overdose that killed lead singer Andrew Wood came just before the release of ''Apple,'' the band's major label debut, and this seminal forerunner of the Seattle sound that has become such a major force sank without a trace."

Two of the remaining members then went on to form Pearl Jam (my favourite band) who are one of the 4 main Seattle bands (Nirvana, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains).

Vel

PureGhostGR

used to be an old button design from a webpage.. (doodles or sketches or something)..

:P

So lazy of me..

Miez

<-- It's me ... myself ... in a happy mood. It's also my single-bearded-man business logo.  ;D

Barcik

My avatar is from The Usual Suspects. Funny thing is, I only saw the movie for the first time yesterday!
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

Robert Eric

I bought a digital camera, took a picture of my dog lying on the floor to try it out, then used that picture as my avatar.  I once used a quite unpleasant mugshot of Roger Wilco, but I liked the dog one better.
Ã, Ã, 

Ishmael

Mine's one of MRC's inv objects... I once uploaded it to show it to someone, as I myself thought I did well with it, and then, I was bored with my older one, so I just put that in there. (The AGS Manual under pillow thing had been on my mind for some time, but I wasn't sure how I'd put it and where, but when I uploaded that and changed it, it all just came out by itself). Yeah, I think so...

I've had several avatars during time... I've been registered for... how long? A year? Or a year and a half even? Well anyway, I was fully idle for some time (half a year?), then started posting on the tech forums, and somewhere dug up my first avatar... what was it? I've also noticed there's nowdays a member called "Sledge Hammer" in the forum. I used to have a Sledge theme for a short while ;D

Okay, am I drifting away from the subject? I better stop...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Ghormak

Quote from: Ben on Thu 13/11/2003 17:32:15

Yes.

<---
Achtung Franz! The comic

Harvester

I am really interested in everything (including pieces of fruit) that has a tendency to turn into a vampire.
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

fjeronimo

Actually the story of my avatar is a long and bloody one...
...It all began in a dark and stormy night...
???
...wait a minute... I just remembered... I don't have one!... Ops...  

fjeronimo  
Dark Realms :  http://mega.ist.utl.pt/~fjds/
Writing, programming, art, medieval & SF/fantasy info, texts & quotations, music...

WanderLady

Robert Eric: Because of only glancing at the avatar, I always thought your dog was wearing a detective's type hat. But after looking now, I see it's a only a shadow.

Matt Brown

curse you fjeronimo...you took my joke
word up

Toefur

I dunno... what do you guys think?  :P

Timosity

At the moment it is my two favourite football teams from 2 different codes.

The green one is the Canberra Raiders, A Rugby League Team

The Red one is the Sydney Swans, An Australian Rules Team

They both came 4th and made finals this season in there respective comps but didn't win.

I put this avatar up during the finals in the hope that it would make them win, but obviously It made them lose.

Also there's a couple of odd frames, I think someone may have hacked my avatar.

Snake

One night I finally said "fuck it" also and snapped a picture of myself in the dark.

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

Alynn

+-Me Its what I look like, with a few edits...
|  Ok its acually the D&D Char I have had all my life
|  My buddy drew it for me... He will be my artist for
|  My big big game...... After I get done with my small
|  Big game....
|  But it is based on me....
|  And 100X100 Avatars ARENT TOO BIG! :P
|
|
\/

Scummbuddy

Aylnn, just resize it.

and as for mine.  its just me, but dont let the picture fool you. I'm not really a cartoon.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Duzz

mine is based on a character based on a very greedy seagull....

I was at a holiday house with a group of friends, and we were eating fish 'n chips on the beach throwing scraps to the seagulls, a large chicken bone was thrown, and one of them ate the whole thing in one bite... it got stuck halfway and you could see the bone pushing out the side of it's neck.  
ahhh, good times...
Powerhoof - My new indie games company! | Wintermute Studios - My older AGS games: The Historical League of Bouncy Boxing, Grr! Bearly Sane,  Duzz Quest...

BruisedWeasel

"This is my body, given and shed for you, though I'd prefer you eat only my head, as I am partial to my torso and would rather not get it scuffed. Thank you." --Chris(t) Jones

Darth Mandarb

Hahahah!!  Wanderlady - I always thought Robert Eric's avatar was a chipmunk wearing a detective's hat!!

Hahah!!  I'm glad I'm not the only one that saw something different!!

]).]v[.

TheYak

I never looked very closely at RE's dog but always assumed via peripheral vision that it was wearing a hat or something.  Hmm..  

Am I the only one that didn't miss the important details in Andail's narrative?  They closed the whale!  We're left to assume that they closed him inside the whale.  Our dear Andail is actually Jonah.

My avatar is in existence because I wanted something to replace that shifty-eyeball one I made.

Nacho

Quote from: Andail on Thu 13/11/2003 17:03:08
This is a long story.

When I was young, my parents took me to the museum of natural history. There was a big whale there, which you could go inside to see how big it was.
However, my parents forgot me there, and as the museum closed, they also closed the whale and I was trapped inside.
The following day, my parents came back to look for me, but failed, so they took another kid instead.
And that kid is me, Andail.

That explains why the guy on the pic doesn´t resemble at all with Petter!

My avatar has to see with my nick. Farlander was the pilot of the X-wing who Lucasarts used to write a history for the manual. I used S-wars related avatars in the past, but now, following that futuristic style, I use fry, one of my favourite characters and who has a slight resemblance with me.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Ali

One day I tried to draw a crime-solvin' film noir goblin. I did, and he should be sitting to the left of this message.

n3tgraph

when I joined the community I had guybrush as avatar :)

but I drew my own character, looking somewhat like myself for a game

the game became nothing, but the avatar-dude remained ;)
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Alynn

I refuse to resize.... This avatar has been this big all his life... Why should he change!!!oneone11!1!1!one!

* Alynn dances to Bobby Brown's "My Prerogitive"

Mats Berglinn

When I was a kid I made up a character for a play once for Funny hour at the fridays in school. Me and my friends made a play about three animals that were captured at a zoo and then they escape back to the freedom of Africa. One of them was Crocis Crocodile and he was made up by me. He was inspired from Hannah-Barbera's Wally Gator and from the first Crocis had a hat and tie like Wally Gator. Years later after we have done two plays featuring Crocis Crocodile and his pals Koko Monkey and Ziri Zebra, I made comedian strips for the school magazine with him and his pals. I wanted to make Crocis my own character like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny. Koko and Ziri weren't actually my creation, they were my girl-buddies' creations but since we didn't do Crocis Crocodile together so I took them (hey didn't mind it however). I have made a couple of stories of Crocis including two animated movie scripts and two christmas stories. There are a lot of this under construction like a third movie, a comic about Crocis and pals as detectives, a special movie with Crocis' twin brother Cayman and even AGS games. So that's why I made Crocis into an avatar. Of course I saw Crocis as a famous movie star so that's why now I have the "Blues Brothers" Crocis avatar but if you remember I used the original Crocis. Maybe I will change Crocis into other movie star but I don't know yet.

TerranRich

My current avatar is an Andorian from Star Trek: Enterprise. I scanned it in to work on a Star Trek web site and just decided randomly one day to use it and replace my ugly mug.

Pet Terry

I was wandering in the forest with my friends, when suddenly a bunch of UFO's came and tried to kill us!

Just kidding.

About a year ago I was at my friends house and we took a picture where we all looked scared... then I cropped my head and animated it.

EDIT: Man, I just realised how I look young in that picture :P
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Eggie

I'm not blurdy telling the whole 'Egg Head Cheesy Bird' story again!  >:(

Eggie is an egg. He is a happy egg. I am going to give him a personality...I just haven't gotten around to it yet...

WATCH OUT! For Egg: The Movie! Coming in...um...I'd say about 3 years...

I thought RE's avatar was a bear.

SSH

RE's avatar is magic: it looks like something different to each person...

Domino

my friend took this picture a couple of years ago on new years eve. I looked totally out of it, so i added a nice pair of sunglasses to cover up my bloodshot and half open eyes.

Shawn

Inkoddi

I thought RE's avatar was a squirrel with a detective's hat

Haddas

I thought RE's avatar was a dog(! ::))

I change mine every week... I have this "smileys gone bad" fetish that just has to come out in someway. I use two avatars... The first one to remember which ones I use gets FREE junkmail!!!

Inkoddi

Haddas

INKODDI... WINS!!!

* Sends 256 junkmails to your inbox... PER HOUR

Matt Brown

ooh! ooh! I have an avatar now, so I can tell a story..

ok. So...I was goofing off with my digital camera..

and there was this cool hat and bad shades on the floor...

and one thing led to another..

and bam. Panda get's his first avatar
word up

LordHart

edit: Actually, I don't one anymore... I just got rid of it. :P

Nine Toes

It's my eyeball.  That way, I know you're looking me in the eye when you talk to me.   :o  That and it shows off the barbell in my eyebrow, one of many extra holes in my body, hence the name; Bodyart.

It took me forever to find a good place to host my avatars...  But anyways, I've used this avatar too long, I think I'll change it to something more suiting to my mood.  Here we go...

Watch, I just killed this topic...

Darth Mandarb

Mine is a story about a man named Jed ...

The poor mountaineer barely kept his family fed.

Then one day he was shootin' at some food, when up from the ground came a bubblin' crude.

Oil that is.

Black gold ...

... Texas Tea.

Well, the next thing you know ol' Jeds a millionaire.  To his kinfolk Jed said, "Let's move away from here!" He said, "California is the place we outta be!"

So they loaded up the car and they moved to Beverly.

... Hills that is.

Swimming Pools.

Movie Stars.

:: insert banjo melody ::

Of course, if you couldn't tell that just from lookin' at my avatar I don't know what your problem is.

]).]v[.

Ptraci

I'd been using a Faye avatar from the series Cowboy Beebop for a really long time until I got here and saw that 90x90 avatars are too big...

I've got it resized now and I'll upload it as soon as I can. I'll be myself again ^_^

Pesty

My avatar is a sprite version of myself on the job. For a time I had a creepy picture of Carrot Top as a clown, and before that was my classic Lesko avatar. None of them have any cool stories behind them, unfortunately.

Ben, have you ever had Moxie? My parents used to know this lady who would force Moxie upon us everytime we'd go to visit her. She'd declare "It's Moxie, from Maine!!" quite often. It was quite disgusting.

I always thought RE's avatar was a squirrel in a detective's hat, too. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Scummbuddy

uggg god.. moxie.... so gross

its like licorice with cocacola on acid
my ex loves the stuff and when we went to maine she made me try it... wow,  its so gross, in my opinion, i detest the stuff.

but it makes a killer avatar...
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Robert Eric

Someone once asked me if the thing in my avatar was actually me.
Ã, Ã, 

Pesty

Quote from: Scummbuddy on Sat 15/11/2003 22:33:06
uggg god.. moxie.... so gross

its like licorice with cocacola on acid

I think you put it too gently. It's like unsweetened, bitter licorice with stale, flat coca cola on bad acid.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Trapezoid

Yes, Moxie tastes bad. But for some reason it's addictive.

Ben

I haven't had Moxie for a few years.

But it's a flavor that sticks with you.. for a long, long time.

I always thought it tasted like bad root beer. But good bad root beer. It's bad root beer that's better than good root beer.

And it's good for you.

Totoro

I just love pink rabbits with yellow beaks, that's all  ;D
Well, it's the mascott of an English-language-school in Japan, and because I had bad personal experience with them, some English-teacher of them stealing my girlfriend although he was 12 years older and married, blah blah blah, I decided to take revange and ruining their reputation by using their mascott as my avatar.
BTW: Dave, I am happy you switched back to that Jeans-Guy, he is sooooooooooo great :)

foz

The severed hand was a thing that some said was a little over the top in flashbax..........and the wanking scene too......

So i use the invent item........of the hand.

Meowster

Well my avatar means a lot to me, because I was given it by a cow of extraordinary intelligence.

Bluke4x4

Well, I was walking down a path in a forest when a maniacal chainsaw-wielding lunatic and his zombie slaves ambush me and slice off my head, leaving all excess meat to their vicious zombie poodles. 500 years later a foolish boy snapshots a photo of my head, releasing my confined soul and replacing it with the child's. My soul sneaked into his body and somehow knew all information in the young boy's brain. I logged into this website using the info and used the souvineir photograph as an avatar.

... Or I got a Jack Skellington avatar and used it. Same difference.

Evil

Gilbert

<-- Well I think I don't need to explain about my avatar, it explains itself.

...Wait! When did I take it away?2?

Alright my original avatar is here:

shbaz

I just put mine in. I found a place called villagephotos.com that hosts images for ebay and etc. and I thought, "This is way better than taking a free website that allows outside linking that will go under in 6 months!"

It's me, rocking out with my acoustic guitar. The electric guitar is jealous, it hasn't spoken to me in a while. I think it's because someone clipped my cord in half.

EDIT: I'm aware of the transfer limit, but my avatar is 2k.. you people aren't going to access it 2,500 times a day very easy. As soon as people stop looking at the Paint contest thread, the avatar is all I will have there.

OTHER EDIT: I changed it to my shoes, since they were new I thought they could be considered beautiful enough for my avatar. Oh yeah, and this noob called me ugly, so in my sarcastic fashion, I thought it would be funny.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Gilbert

Well... villagephotos has a limit of about 5MB transfer/day or so, if your avatar is frequently accessed in a popular forum (hint hint: here) you'll have it exceeded VERY easily...

(That's the reason I removed my avatar after 1 day :P)

LL Notorious B.I.G. Will C-H

its me donw up as a zombie for a film some friends made. still waiting for the lazy sods to edit it all together so i can watch it tho.
Punk Quest 0.5 is now available for your perusal if you so wish http://punkquest.to-j.com

makri

Twins, Inc

My second best scoring photoshop at w1k.
Thud. Thud. Thud. Splat.

jannar85

Well, to make a long story short, I once took a picture of myself.
It was winter, and snow outside my window. It was already dark outside.

When suddenly.. I went outside... The light was lighting up my face... When it suddenly said *snap*

And I took a picture. A long while later, I played around with filters, and voila!

P.S - It's me on the photo!
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Harvester

I changed my avatar  :( Now it represents me, in black and white
None shall pass!

Paranoid Factor

Layabout

Mine is of Bargearse. From this TV show called the Late Show (way different from the letterman one). The got an old TV cop show called Bluey and redubbed it as Bargearse. Wonderful stuff. Full of dick and fart jokes.

In fact thats all the Late show was too!
I am Jean-Pierre.

Femme Stab Mode >:D

I like it. I found it on google and resized it.
Some older avatars:
http://itkid.com/eye.gif
http://itkid.com/avatar.gif

NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

fanton

Goldmund

Mine is a photograph of Blazej Dzikowski, a fantastic Polish writer.
I even had a chance to sleep with him once or twice!

remixor

Only once or twice??

*remixor tries to figure this one out

*remixor's brain shuts down
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

well, I kinda slept with mine. and couldn't let it go right away. that would be cruel.

ACTUAL STORY BEHIND AVATAR: I'm addicted to the sign. I know. I'm a weak, weak person.
Albert Barillé and Hergé, we love you

Goldmund

Remixor: well, I didn't want to boast too much... in case you lot became jealous and started to treat me colder.

Ishmael

Quote from: Dragonrose on Thu 13/11/2003 18:01:03
For a long time, I didn't have an avatar because I wanted one of a dragon and I couldn't find one.

<-- That been on my wepspace since Dima's second forum (as far as I can remember)... was it PowerBoards? A long time that is... just remembered. ;D
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Felipe

I know you're probably thinking my avatar is Brazil's flag with a BlueCup where the "blue-circle-with-the-stars" should be but actually, it's an image with a subliminal message in it... and to see it you have to keep looking to the center of the image for about 30 seconds...!

Ok, ok - In fact, it's "Brazil's flag with a BlueCup where the blue-circle-with-the-stars should be" ;)
Don't blame me - I didn't know it!   (I have the feeling this will come handy...)

-

Oliver

Well my avatar was supposed to be an Estonian flag but it didn't turn out the way I wanted and then I changed the colors and added an really "cool" looking ball to the middle...and there you have it. my avatar....mauahahahaha ;D
You got it!

Coming Soon!

PunK N PiE

this is a painting of the lead singer (dani filth) from my fave band
CRADLE OF FILTH
he is so gorgeous....
well i think so anyways....i have very vulger taste,
and blood lust.
Enjoy yourself! These are the good old days you'll look back on in the years ahead!

shbaz

Once I was standing outside a guitar store with a couple of my friends, who are huge christian music fans. They seen a poster for an upcoming concert in gothic letters and they say, "Hey, I've never heard of that band, 'Cradle of Faith,' do you guys want to go?" Upon further inspection, I said, dude, "Cradle of Filth." They never did go to that concert.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

evilspacefart

I was trying to make a picture that empersonalizes (is that a word?) my name.

Pesty

I was bored, so I thought I'd save this thread from the terrible third page to inform everyone who has not noticed that I changed my avatar to my greatest creation since AGS.

The giant insectoid did not cause the clean burning fire that is destroying the red light district of Cake City, but everyone will probably blame it on him because he is a giant insectoid and they are truly the scapegoats of the world. The picture's title is "An International Incident: If I Knew You Were Coming I'd Have Baked a Cake of DOOM".

I need to draw more pictures of the giant insectoid. And also give him a good name. I'm thinking to name him "Bruce".

Joelman

well, i've had big evil spiked hair for the last few years, and i found this drawing someone had done of Spyder One from Powerman 5000 (most awesome band ever) and everyone says I look like him, so i loaded up corel, copied the drawing in vector, changed the goat, made the hair brown, added sideburns and there ya go.
Are clones people two?

TheYak

And verily, verily I say unto thee welcome.  Another active Californian.  8)

Tarlash

<----------You see nothing?

Unseen is most frightening...
My hands are shaking...
I cannot concetrate...
I need AGS!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk