Starting new activity in Competitions and activities forum

Started by R4L, Tue 18/11/2003 03:21:53

Previous topic - Next topic

R4L

Well I need some permission for this, and I say we start a new MSPAINT game, because the old one is getting boring and hasn't had recent updates ( never mind the one I just made ). So what do you think?

Gilbert

I think it's a good idea, the current M$Pain thread had gone ENORMOUS and difficult to handle. Maybe if we start a new one, we can enforce the rules in a more strict way.

Better hear from others before starting one.

Evil

remixor

I don't think there's any need, personally.  I say keep the old one.  All you have to do is go to the last page, it's not as if you have to read every message every time you want to look at the newest addition.  I see no reason why a new thread would be any less cluttered.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

OneThinkingGal and ._.

I can't see any reason NOT to start a new thread either. I think 20 pages is long enough for any thread. And that one's at 26.

Quintaros

If it saves bandwidth to start a new thread then start a new thread but otherwise I'd say let the old one ride.  Why kill a thread just because its popular?

BOYD1981

erm, how will a new mspaint game be more exciting than the old one?
it'll be the same, and it's had plenty of recent updates, starting a new one doesn't many any sense

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Gilbert

Oh we didn't mean to KILL teh old thread, just lock it and let it be, it's just long enough to make it difficult to manauge.

Timosity

I have to agree with remixor & Boyd, There is no point starting a new thread for exactly the same thing.

If you think the thread is dying, why start another anyway?????

But it is still very alive, it has it's patches of death, but every now and then it kicks along.

"20 pages is long enough for any thread"

Then if you add the 2 threads posts together you'll have 40 eventually, (they might as well stay in the same thread)

I would imagine that bandwidth wouldn't be any different if it continued in 1 or there were 2.

Edit:

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Tue 18/11/2003 05:46:08
it's just long enough to make it difficult to manauge.

How do you mean? It seems to manage itself alright

BOYD1981

okay, i just have one request if a new thread is started, and that is that it should continue on from the old thread, so the last post in the old thread becomes the first post in the new thread to keep the same game going...

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Gilbert

Tim: actually the moderators sometimes cleaned up unrelated posts in that thread to keep it cleaner and uncluttered, but as it has expanded to a huge thread now, it's actually quite difficult to manage.

Boyd: I agree with that of course, we're not saying to terminate or KILL the activity, just to continue it in a new thread, and keep the old one, I was actually quite surprised so many member made such strong reactions.

remixor

But why would it take less effort to manage a new thread?  I mean, it's not as if people will somehow post less off-topic posts in it.    
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Timosity

Quote from: Gilbot V7000a on Tue 18/11/2003 07:13:41
Tim: actually the moderators sometimes cleaned up unrelated posts in that thread to keep it cleaner and uncluttered, but as it has expanded to a huge thread now, it's actually quite difficult to manage.

OK, I see what you mean, but still, it's just a matter of going through the thread and deleteing the irrelevant posts. If it was cleaned up regularly, then it wouldn't become a problem. Maybe in future it should be moderated more frequently, whether in the same thread or a new one. No one really loses either way, and it's not really that bigger issue any way.

Czar

well if there will be changes in any way, i'd like to suggest a rule that every next post should have that little striptease indy that scumm made(i think). You can find it somwhere in the thread, if you look harder(he he he)...Enjoy :)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Ishmael

I don't like the idea (Starting a new thead, not talking about the indy... allthough I don't like it either... (don't ask me...))... or I don't know... Well, starting a new thead, continueing from where the old one left off, whatever, as long as the same idea stays. If the thead is renewed (?), the new-old thead could be then added to it to keep the game as on-going thead and archive thead, so the ongoing thead contains the recent entrys, and the archive contains all the others. Did I just repeat myself, and anyways, does that make sense?

Still, if the thead is restarted, the rules should sure be declared clearly to avoid the Photoshop messes... I don't mind the photos, they did sorta bringhten my day occasionally... The Bush pic was used a quite lot times, or do I have the wires wrong way again in my head? Was it? Anyway... or on second thought, foreget the last one... It don't make sense anyway....
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Scummbuddy

Alf: "Ooo yeah baby, you like it when I shake it like that."
(this quote is better than me saying a reference to him wanting to 'eat the cat')

Couldn't find a picture of Czar....
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

TheYak

Starting a new one just for the sake of cleaning it up a bit would be fine w/ me.  I don't really see a need but here's a suggestion.  At the end of x number of pages or posts or whatever, we could vote on who did the best general job with the limited tool provided (MS-Pain) and they can kick off the new one with a topic.  Not much incentive, but at least it would be some incentive to contribute.  

All in all, one of the more fun activities..

OneThinkingGal and ._.

The last post in the thread could just carry over to the new one, I don't think there's any 'winner' as such.

Why all this arguing over a thread anyway...new thread or not who cares!?   ???

R4L

Well I have heard quite alot about not having it and having it or just inbetween. Since most of you agree that we don't start a new MSPAINT game I say we don't, uhh... I think ???. (brainfart).

Czar

oh you lying b**ch!
that is a LIE!  a LIE I TELL YOU!!
[ damn i told the photographers that they should leave all the copies in my room, looks like someone was naughty! ]
anyway, unfortunately, i never had time to continue the indy tradition...  :(
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk