Transformers: The Movie... the drunken rant!

Started by LordHart, Wed 19/11/2003 10:28:19

Previous topic - Next topic

LordHart

I just bought the Transformers movie on DVD, and I have to say... I never realised just how many of the main characters they killed off.

Remember when you were a kid, and when you watched this, you got so hung up on the fact that Optimus Prime was killed off, that you never realise the other characters they killed... and in the first few minutes at that!

Out of the autobots from the original two series, 4 survived. 4!!! 4 from something like what, 20? And then the Decepticons... I never noticed that they killed off all the major characters, except for Soundwave, oh, and Astrotrain, thats great, they kept a f***ing flying PURPLE train, but killed off characters like Starscream?

You know, now I know where the series went wrong... this movie. They killed off all the characters and then introduced friggin' Judd Nelson... oops, I mean Hot Rod. And Wheelie... why the hell did he already have an autobot logo on him... EVEN BEFORE HE MET THEM?!

Ah well... at least Unicron was cool. :P

DGMacphee

They killed off a lot of Deceptecons but some came back to life.

And I remember a 3rd series episode where Starscream came back as a ghost.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

juncmodule

I almost cried when Ironhide died.

He was my favorite autobot.

Starscream sucked. I wanted him to die.

Soundwave is just the baddest ass Decepticon ever. Of course he didn't die.

I always hated the "new" Megatron (Galvafuck).

The movie and killing off characters is nothing compared to that horrible atrocity that is Beast Wars. What a waste of a perfectly good toy line.

Toys the rocked when I was a kid:
Star Wars (Not including Jedi)
G.I. Joe
Transformers
Army Ants (I bet nobody knows what those are)

I tried watched GI Joe the movie lately. That SUCKED. I didn't make it through it. Transformers the movie holds up pretty well, that is if you can block out the soundtrack.

later,
-junc

Darth Mandarb

I remember watching Transformers: The Movie in theaters when it came out.

I remember being totally shocked when Spike and Bumblebee are being pulled into Unicron Spike said, "Shit, what're we gonna do now!!"  And then when Robert Stack (Ultra Magnus) said, "Open ... DAMMIT open!!"  I just thought it was the coolest thing to hear the swearing in a cartoon!

Then, much to my disappointment, they took out the 'shit' part when it was released on video.  I was very disappointed.  Thank God they put it back on the DVD!  Nobody believed me that it actually said that until the DVD came out!  I was vindicated!!!

I loved this cartoon.  But I agree ... I think the series never recovered afterwards.

The best thing about the movie was the soundtrack.  I used to listen to that sucker over and over and over.

The showdown between Prime and Megatron was bad ass "One shall stand and one shall fall!"

junc - looking back now, Soundwave sure was a contradiction.  He could digitally jack into computer systems yet he used tapes!!  Hah!  But he was always my favorite Deceptecon.  I always hated the part when Ironhide and his companions get offed 'cause the Decepties are all just standing there and the 4 Autobots don't hit Jack!

That always bugged me.

]).]v[.

Nostradamus

I too didn't like most season 3 characters. Rodimus was a pussy, Wheelie and Blurr where gimmicked childish and annoying, Starscream was gone. The only good thing about season 3 is the many new gestalts (combiner teams).

Beast Wars was amazing. Amazing 3D animation, very interesting and deep plots, humor. It was great.

Unlike the boring retarded shit that is Armada.

Eggie

*Vauge memories of some Transformers toy boyght at a jumble sale and a video that I watched repeatedly*

Gah! That's it?! That's all the nostalga I have for a cartoon that involved giant robots turning into cars!!

Damn, Sometimes I really wish I wasn't born in nineteen eighty fucking nine! All I got was bloody Pokémon! Pokémon! BLARGH! I demand giant robots!!

rodekill

They killed them to make way for a new wave of toys and crap to sell to kids, not realising there would be permanent psychological damage as a result.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

LordHart

Oh god, don't get me started on Armada... I watched the first ten minutes of one episode and didn't even see a god damned Transformer. Just some Pokemon like little god damn kids running around being fags.

I swear, kids these days have some crap cartoons and toys. Look at what we had growing up, Robotech/Macross, Ulysses, Battle of the Planets, Tekkaman, Transformers, Star Blazers and so many more. And all they have is crap like Pokemon, and that cruddy Dragonball Z... oh man, now thats crap!

MrColossal

heh rose coloured glasses eh?

what about Ghost Busters [not the Real Ghost Busters] and Thundercats and Voltron and Heathcliffe and James Bond Jr. and Denver The Last Dinosaur and Kid Video and Captain N and SilverHawks [UGH]... these cartoons are crap and at least the animation budget for kids cartoons now a days seems to have been lifted a little...

you love these cartoons cause you grew up with them, watch SilverHawks now and you'll see how awkward and retardo it is

and Dragon Ball Z came out many years ago it isn't new
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

LordHart

Hey, don't knock Thundercats and Voltron... those two rock. But, in regards to Silverhawks, I honestly have to say that I haven't seen it, I don't think it got aired in Australia in my area.

And Dragonball Z has only been discovered by kids in western audiences recently, so it's their cartoon. Anyway, it was only made in the mid 90's I think... not sure, because I can't bothered looking up the piece of crap.

Punch

All of this cartoon nostalgia and three of the most important haven't even been mentioned: Ninja Turtles (If you're around 18 now, you watched that show. It's what happened.) Inspector Gadget (until Disney got their frigging hands on him... I swear they have board meetings to decide the best ways to royally screw franchises) And Dangermouse.

Transformers got lucky with their movie. If you ignore what they did to the series afterwards then it's a pretty stand up effort. I still enjoy watching it. Everything else got screwed. The Turtles movies were... interesting... and Inspector Gadget is better left unthought of. If I had the money I would burn everything Gadget related that came after Disney got their claws into him.

junc: You missed the coolest toys ever! Maybe you never even saw them. Dino Riders. There is no better toy franchise on the face of this planet. Except possibly Gak. Slime is cool.

- Punch

Las Naranjas

I remember getting out Dino Riders videos from the video shop, and there were lego ads in the middle.

I didn't realise how bad that was at the time.
"I'm a moron" - LGM
http://sylpher.com/novomestro
Your resident Novocastrian.

LordHart

Oh my god! I can't believe I forgot them! :-\ My memory must be going with my age... damn me!

Yeah, I have to agree with Gadget. I always loved that cartoon, because like most French cartoons, it absolutely rocked. The movies by Disney were incredibly crap, especially when it came to Dr Claw! They did the same with the Judge Dread movie, by showing his face.

They had Dread take his helmet off when he should NEVER do that, just like they showed Claw, when they shouldn't do that.

Dangermouse rocked even harder, and was also the first place that Count Duckula appeared! w00t!

Ninja Turtles was so-so in my opinion, most episodes were lame in my opinion and only a few were cool to me. Mostly ones with that Rabbit guy (what was his name?) and Casey Jones.

MrColossal

Tyco ads las...

Usagi Yojimbo Ultimo...

you can look me in the virtual eyes and tell me thundercats is a good show?

at least dragon ball tried something different, the characters age and die and have children and the children have children

what happened in voltron? a bad guy appeared and then they beat it and then they laughed and the pansexual green person got captured or something.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

LordHart

Quote from: MrColossal on Thu 20/11/2003 04:53:24what happened in voltron? a bad guy appeared and then they beat it and then they laughed and the pansexual green person got captured or something.
Yeah, that was awesome! ;D

Gilbert

Well DBZ just copied from crap HK fighting comics, so it IS true crap.

remixor

My childhood coincided with the height of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles popularity (I'm 19) but to this day I have never seen a single episode of the show.  Same goes for Dangermouse, Voltron, and I didn't see Thundercats until just a couple years ago.

On the other hand, Inspector Gadget was like my favorite thing in the whole world.  When I was really young I used to express time in terms of "Inspector Gadgets"--so if something was going to happen in an hour and a half, I'd get a bearing for how far away it was by saying "Ok, so that's three Inspector Gadgets away."
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Dave Gilbert

Let's not forget the ultimate 80s cartoon: HE-MAN!  

How can you be nostalgic for Pokemon, Eggie?  Pokemon's still around. I remember seeing a bit of it during my freshman year of college and thinking, "This is so lame.  If it lasts a month it'll be a miracle."  Same for those asanine Power Rangers.  And Barney.  Famous last words, I suppose.

The 80s was a great decade for nostalgia.  So much great stuff.  Dangermouse was awesome.  I remember thinking the english accents were funny.  "The Real Ghostbusters" still kicks ass.  Slimer rocks.  And yes Eric, I remember the not-real "Ghostbusters" show.  Ick, what a horrible piece of dreck that was.  

I remember tuning into a cartoon while I was in college called "Mummies Alive."  (1997 or so) For some reason, I dug it.  It captured the essence of those 80s cartoons perfectly.

Does anybody remember "The Mysterious Cities of Gold?"  It was the only show that ever got me up at 5am just to watch it.  I had such a crush on Zia.

What?  I was 9, okay?

SSH

Dave:  Esteban! Esteban!  That was a good show... along with:

Count Duckula, Henry's Cat, Dogtanian, Rhubarb and Custard, Around the World with Willy Fogg, Thunderbirds 2086, Battle of the Planets, G-Force, etc.

so many of the new cartoons are good quality too: Powerpuffs, Dexter's Lab, etc.

Dave Gilbert

I vaugely remember Duckula.  Wasn't that about a vegtarian vampire duck?  Wrong on so many levels...

Esteban was cool, too.  All three of those characters rocked.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk