What domain/company name to use

Started by SSH, Wed 19/11/2003 11:18:27

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

So far, my games have gone under "SuperScottishHero Productions". However, I want to get a domain name and have it match the name of my "game company".

However, I don't want to buy 2 domains (cheapskate!) and I also want to use the email address for any serious job applications, so superscottishhero.com looks a bit silly on a CV...

However, ssh.whatever are all gone, and sshero makes me sound like a WWII Nazi.

I looked up Gaelic for hero: leoch, which sounds OK to me and is free domain-wise, but it maybe sounds a bit like someone coughing and my wife doesn't like it.

I also thought of new names, but I want them to not be completely irrelevant to my day job (designing chips): Narractive is my favourite of these, but it doesn't really fit with chips. If I was juts doing it for chips, it might be something like siliconsculptor..

so, any ideas, folks? Cool logos welcome, too!

Cheers!

jannar85

You *could* do a namechange... Like I did with our previous name; Adventure Pit.
Changed to Runestone Entertainment :)

It's so much stronger now :)

But you *could* just name the company SSH, and add that "entertainment" afterwards like we did :P

Instead of SuperScottishHero, you could find another name for your company which starts on the letters S, S and H. I dunno, since you're scottish :P
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

Minimi

remixor

You could just call it SSH Productions without explaining what SSH stands for.  Many companies have indecipherable acronyms, and it really makes no difference for a resume.  Plus the URL is available.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

SSH

Now, why didn't I think of that? Thanks, guys.

However, maybe I'd prefer somehting other than "Productions" or "Entertainment"...

maybe "Development", "Engineering" or "Research"... any other suggestions?

SSH Productions doesn't quite fit with teh chip stuff
SSH Entertainment... doesn't go with the day job at all
SSH Development ... maybe the best so far, but maybe sounds like developing  sshes?
SSH Engineering... doesn't fit with AGS
SSH Research... doesn't reeally fit with either
SSH software... chips are hardware
SSH ware... makes it sound like you can distribute the games as long as you keep quiet about it
SSH I.T....? maybe not!

SSHrewd?
Supershrewd?

Anym

I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

remixor

I think SSH Development is the best one of the ones you listed.  I wouldn't worry about it being interpreted as developing SSHs.  There are other firms with the name [xxx] Development.  It shouldn't matter much.  
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

juncmodule

Hmmm...I agree that SSH Development is the best. Perhaps SSH-Dev.com if it is available.

Do you have a host yet? I strongly recommend:

http://www.totalchoicehosting.com/

After domain registration it's only $5 a month. The best deal for your money I've ever seen. LOTS of bandwidth and storage space (10GB and 500MB). They do automatic billing from your bank account and since I have had them have NEVER been down. Very friendly people, 24hour online live tech support.

good luck,
-junc

m0ds

I remember saying this the last time someone was asking, my advice is, don't use the following;

- Entertainment
- Games
- Software
- Systems
- Inc
- Productions
- Company

At the end of the title. It's old school, IMO.

I regret calling it Screen 7 Entertainment.

:p
m0ds

Pesty

I say go with ssh-pants.com

And don't you say it looks silly. There is nothing funny about pants!

ACHTUNG FRANZ: Enjoy it with copper wine!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

Evil

Sshero sounds good to me. Doesnt sound too WWIIish. Maybe s-s-h or s-s-hero?

LordHart

Well, mine is tdrDESIGN. The tdr part is from an e-fed I ran years ago, called The Death Ring... so, that doesn't really fit in with making games or doing graphic design stuff.

Just go with whatever you want. If someone doesn't want to hire you because of an odd e-mail address and not because of your talents and qualifications, then they should go to hell!

SSH

Quote from: Os Último Quão Queijo ^_^ on Thu 20/11/2003 02:53:28
Just go with whatever you want. If someone doesn't want to hire you because of an odd e-mail address and not because of your talents and qualifications, then they should go to hell!

Given the current state of the job market in my industry, that's not a luxury that I can afford.  :(

I've heard various talks on "How  to make a great CV" etc. from various people over time and lots of HR managers have said that the first thing they do is throw out all the CVs from people who have a silly email address or use their current employer's email address.

Minimi

I've got another idea...

Maybee making it "SSH Tech". That fits to your chips, and it can also stand for other things. so you'll get something like : http://www.ssh-tech.com

loominous

Bit pretentious:

www.ssh-arts.com

On the other hand, why degrade your activity to mere productdevelopment or entertainmentproducement.
Looking for a writer

m0ds

shh-pants is great!

Long live the Johnson way of thinking!

tamper

How about:

SSH Enterprises

or

SSH Creative

If you need a logo for whatever you eventually decide, let me know.
If you're a writer, please visit Great Writing. www.greatwriting.co.uk

Czar

Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

RickJ

I heard a story about a German company that was originally called something like Scholman-Siemag.  They also didn't want to be associated with the SS so the just put an M in the middle and it's now called SMS.  

So here is my 2 cents worth:  Why not use something like shs.com or ssh.com and then create sub domains such as silicon.ssh.com,  entertainment.ssh.com, etc.. for whatever purpose you desire.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk