Things not to do with 3D Programs (Rant)

Started by TheYak, Fri 21/11/2003 11:38:09

Previous topic - Next topic

TheYak

Argh.  For the 1 or 2 members of this forum that don't frequent the somethingawful site, I give a small bit of advice:

Please don't download Bryce and/or Poser, use the default settings and simply throw stuff around until it "looks cool."  If you must do this in order to learn the program, don't feel compelled to share. :-\

Link posted on Somethingawful.com:
http://www.alrig.com/

It's a pet-peeve of mine when people don't have any sense of originality, no skill, no sense of composition and take the lazy way out by using programs like Bryce & Poser to compensate.  Yes, I know.  Bryce and Poser can be excellent tools in the right hands but there really ought to be an exam given before you can download them.  

Minimi

That's why the program costs money, and not everyone uses it. I consider myself as a diehard Brycer, and I disagree totally with your judgement of EASY! It's not so easy as you might think. You might only use primitives and landscapes, but have you ever heard of  latticing, grouping, and modelling with Bryce? I guess not, because then you wouldn't call it easy in the first place. It requires planning, and precision.

TheYak

Aw, crap.  I'm at work so can't u/l an example or two.  Minimi, did you even look at the site?  The "artist" merely placed mountains, adjusted the time-of-day lighting and threw in some water.  This is not an example of precision or artistry.  I have used Bryce a bit and try to ensure anything I make in it doesn't look 100% Bryce-like.  If you'd read the entire post, you might've noted that I wasn't griping about people that actually spend time to delve into the program some and I did state that Bryce and Poser can be useful tools in the right hands.  The images at the URL above are the work of someone experimenting with the program as a novice and shouldn't have been posted on a website, at least not without some kind of mention about experimentation.  The person bills their website as a home of the future of digital fantasy art.  

As to whether I've messed with grouping and modelling in the program, here's a crappy example from when I was first experimenting in Bryce..  the blue animal was put together in Bryce then exported to 3ds max to render.  http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/http://www.geocities.com/fishlight/aardvark.jpg (Yes, I realize it sucks.. 1] It was from awhile ago and 2] at least the aardvark-y thing doesn't resemble something made with a bryce default)

Minimi

Sorry Yakspit, I didn't checked out the link, but now I did. I understand what you were trying to say. Well... there always stay people who are to lazy to learn, and are pretty early happy, so I say... give this guy his happiness. Why not? I mean, he did made it. Ok it's pretty ripped off, and it sucks totally, but I think out of the 6.000.000.000 websites are alot of sucky sites.

I think your aartvark, or something looks pretty cool, actually. You made that one with lattices or  Metaballs? I'm trying also always to get rid off the brycelook, but it's sometimes even if you put lot of work in it, very obvious to see it's made with Bryce :(

Miez

Quote from: YakSpit on Fri 21/11/2003 11:38:09http://www.alrig.com/

But still - highest lensflaer ratio per page on that website. Ever. oneoneexclamationmarkexclamationmarkone.  ;D

scotch

Poser and Bryce seem to be designed to produce the work everyone hates about them, it's their major selling point ;)
I have seen some good Poser pictures and there might be some from Bryce somewhere... onces where people have taken the effort to make something that looks their own.  Once you are good enough to model something good out of primitives in Bryce it's probably time to move on to something that models with polygons, nurbs, subdivision surfaces etc, it's a lot more rewarding and not as hard as it sounds.

Scummbuddy

Taking Poser and making what Igor did, a pseudo-Christina Ricci, is what I believe YakSpit is wanting, and I'm with him.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

TerranRich

Somebody made a faux-Asia Carreira I believe, and it looked damn good.

Poser doesn't always make crap. With the right knowledge, skills, and tools available, one can make some damn good art.

Do you consider the characters in the page on http://he.terranx.com/bts to be crap? :P

I used models that one must pay for to make all of the characters, and Poser 5's renderer is very much improved since P4.

EDIT:

Oh God, the maker of that site used PSP to make cheap-o lens flare and lighting effects for the mouse-over graphics of the main page. Heh.

Nine Toes

I was actually considering buying poser, but I really don't think I'd have a use for it at this point.  Is it worth the money, though?
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Minimi

That depends on what you want to acchieve and use it for. I find it very useful, in combination with Bryce, and it is really cheap program, but it's pretty hard to NOT get the poser look ;)

remixor

Yak: But look how many lens flares the guy used!  Come on!  Give him a break.

Quote from: Evil on Fri 21/11/2003 23:14:52
Terran:
Helm?
2ma2?
Pesty?
WTF?

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!11

Edit: Hey, that was a pun!
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Femme Stab Mode >:D

You know what? The authoer of alrig deletes all the negative comments about his/her art. The guestbook has only one entry.
NANANANANANA ASSHOLE!

TerranRich

Quote from: remixor on Sun 23/11/2003 06:44:18
Yak: But look how many lens flares the guy used!  Come on!  Give him a break.

Quote from: Evil on Fri 21/11/2003 23:14:52
Terran:
Helm?
2ma2?
Pesty?
WTF?

IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!11

Edit: Hey, that was a pun!

You are one FUNNY GUY! MARNUE@!!!!

Meowster

I once found a website... these guys that wanted to make a gaming company or something. Well, to try and attract programmers and the likes, they posted 'screenshots' of their game. Which just so happened to look EXACTLY like those scenes that come with Bryce... you know, the one with the beach and the ball and umbrella? Yeah.

I think that while Bryce and Poser can be stretched to their absolute limits, really people should be concentrating on trying to learn 3D studio or Maya. You can get trails of 3D studio on a lot of 3D art magazines, and you can also download the completely free Home Edition of Maya 5 on their website, which has no limitations (Except that you can't use the graphics commercially and I think it watermarks them).

Dave Gilbert

hahaha.  Yes, I am fully aware of how easy it is to make crap with Bryce.  Behold!  My first Bryce experiment from 1998!

I did get better though.

I managed to recreate "Starbug" from Red Dwarf, albeit with crap lighting.

And I was sorta proud of this one:

The sun was hard to get just right.

I haven't used Bryce in years.  I should probably pick it up again someday.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk