MFM Inc. Company Poll: Company Name

Started by ZZjZmoz, Sat 22/11/2003 18:00:36

Previous topic - Next topic

ZZjZmoz

I am conducting a poll for my company, Men From Mars Inc. (Vacation Quest... Thing, etc.). I need to choose a new name for the company. Therefore, since I need a name appealing to you, I have decided to let you choose the name in a sort of minipoll. The basic choices are:

Espresso Games
Moka Games
TechNiKile Interactive
Springshot & Sparkling
Stunning entertainment
Over the Oceans
The Dogs' Society
Grunge Games / Grunge Entertainment

Any name contributions are greatly appreciated.
You can vote in this thread, go to the vote page (http://www.angelfire.com/games4/menfrommars/vote.html),
or E-mail me at NickK675@aol.com

IMPORTANT - ONLY VOTE FOR ONE!!!

*Updated 11/23/03 9:59 PM
*Updated 11/24/03 7:20 PM

Released Late August 2007

Darth Mandarb

Anything from "Over the Oceans" and up.

I wouldn't use "The Dawgs' Society" simply because I can't stand this popular trend going around of butchering the english language.  That's just me. "The Dog's Society" wouldn't be so bad I guess.

"Fun with Guns" ... I think you'd immediately piss people off (some folk are touchy about gun stuff).

"The Criminally Insane Possi" (I think it's spelled Posse) isn't all that bad but 1) it sounds like a rap/rock group rather than a game company and 2) it's rather close to ICP (Insane Clown Posse) so that one probably wouldn't work.

I think I favor "Stunning Entertainment" to the rest.  Of course, with a name like that you'd really have to release only top-notch work :)

cheers,
]).]v[.

shbaz

Moka Inc.
TechNiKyle Inc.
Springshot & Sparkling

All three of these are cool, I like TechNiKyle best. I don't know why you include the Inc, I think that's kind of stupid.. especially for something completely maintained by one person and not an *actual* legal corporation at all. Even if you have a group of people working with you, it's still amateur and so the inc isn't necessary, or legal in the first place anyway. It would be like declaring myself "Dr. Shbazjinkens." It has a nice ring to it, but nobody is going to respect me for it without a Doctorate. It will take me 8 years to get that. Unless you do the paperwork, leave out the inc.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

ZZjZmoz

Quote from: shbazjinkens on Sat 22/11/2003 22:33:28
Completely maintained by one person

Unless you do the paperwork

:) I would make sure to do some research before stating what you seem to call, "facts." First, there are more than 1 person on the team. Second, we have paperwork. Mainly, we've written out two contracts for '03, and now we're making '04 contracts, plus we have organizers, artwork, and story/plot documents.

ZZjZmoz

If you need any info, just ask me.

also, make sure you vote for one, and only one, thing.

jannar85

Runestone Entertainment sounds cool.. Oh, wait.. I took it :P
Veteran, writer... with loads of unreleased games. Work in progress.

shbaz

QuoteI would make sure to do some research before stating what you seem to call, "facts."

We didn't call them facts, we stated it as our opinon. There is a difference between "We think" and "This is a fact." Our research was halted by your really annoying and hard to read website, with pop-ups that keep blocking the screen.

QuoteFirst, there are more than 1 person on the team.

QuoteEven if you have a group of people working with you, it's still amateur and so the inc isn't necessary,

We say it's still amateur, because your website is extremely amateur.. it doesn't give the corporate appearance. We had a hard time even reading it because of the backgrounds. We still don't understand calling a small collection of internet enthusiasts a corporation. Just go with a simple plain name.. it looks better, besides being more logical. We mean come on, what serious corporation do you know of with a name like "The Criminally Insane Possi?" If you are going to claim the name, at least project a half-decent image appropriate to the name.

If you think the way we wrote this looks strange, we did it because pretending we are more than one person makes us feel cool.

Shbazjinkens's
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

RickJ

You shouldn't use Inc, Corp., Corporation, or any other such term unless you are legally incorporated somewhere.  
The number of people involved nor the quality of the work is not relevant.   If you really are incorporated then you would have known all of this already and politely said so.
If you are executing contracts under a fradulent name then you are commiting a fradulent act and could get into trouble quite easily.  I hope you know what you're doing and seek some professional advice about this.

ZZjZmoz

To shbazjinkens:
I will try to be as polite as I can, but I have to complain. I may be an amateur, but I can see that you have the personality, not of someone who creates, but of someone who critisizes. Declaring my site amateur is ok, but declaring it extremely amateur is an insult. What you seem to care about is how companies compare, whereas I and most other creators know that we created something, humble or not, and if you can't respect that, please refrain from talking. I enjoy feedback, and accept it willingly, but providing insults instead of improvements is a waste of my time.

Plus, you didn't say "We think" in your post, just for the count :). In fact, you didn't state it as an opinion or a fact. I would suggest using "We think"

To RickJ:
I understand what you are saying. This is one reason why we are changing the name (besides MFM Inc. being somewhat ghetto :)). Anyhow, I'm going to change the names in a new post, just to relieve tension and stuff.

To everyone:
How does Grunge Games sound? It kind of has a ring to it.

shbaz

I did say I think in my first post, and for a reason. I called something stupid.

But meh, take it as you want it. I'm a musician and a 3d artist. I'm an amateur too, at times to an extreme. My reason for the "extremely amateur" part was the annoying backgrounds, the unnecesarry javascript (we have computer clocks built into Windows you know), and some links that lacked any content at all. Tends to look like something someone who might not know much about html created. You shouldn't take this as an insult, but rather a, "Change this if you don't want to look extremely amateur." If it was an insult I wouldn't have listed legit reasons.. because an insult usually lacks logic and holds some reason for a personal attack. I don't have any reason to attack you personally, I was trying to direct you away from looking amateurish.

Any post from an individual should be taken as an opinion, unless they have some kind of scientific research to back that up. I consider that a general rule when I listen to or read info from anyone. You should too. It'll make you take harsh things like, "YOU'RE UGLY SHUT UP!!!!" less to heart and you'll have fun with it instead. (See avatar<--)

Anyway, I'm blunt. I don't like to flower my language, because I see it as unnecessary. If you want to see some of my "creations" to prove I'm not only a critic, email me for my amateur 3d art, or pics of the guitar amp I researched for two years and built when I was 17, or go to my old old MP3.com website "Eight Ohms" and hear my bad singing and amateurish guitar. I've actually created quite a bit over the years. Games I've only played a lot.

I tend to appreciate someone telling me my problems bluntly rather than lightly, that way I better understand the extent of the problem, so I act accordingly to others. I obviously crossed a line this time, but I still think drop the inc and use contrasting backgrounds (or solid, possibly) for your new website.

Cordially yours,
shbazjinkens (singular, this time)

earlwood

Springshot & Sparkling is probably the best choice, accually, I just want to see what kind of logo you would have for that name.

RickJ

ZZjZmoz,

No tension intended.   Please understand replies to the forum are meant for everyone not just for the initial poster.  I wanted to set some things straight because I some folks may not have understood some of the issues.  I have some experience in this so I thought I would share what I know.  

I wish you luck inexecuting your contracts.  Let us know how it turns out.  

Cheers
Rick

ZZjZmoz

To shbazjinkens, thank you for your apology. it is appriciated. A piece of advice, however, and this applies to everyone, please include a solution for every problem. For example, if my art sucks, say, "Hey man. Your art sucks, but you can fix that up by buying PSP or Photoshop, or use it if you have it, and maybe take a few art classes, mainly those focused on computer art and hand drawing. That would help greatly.

P.S. Your shoe looks like a face. he he cool.

To RickJ, thanks for the advice. Anyway, do you know how I could put together a permanent team, so I could put these contracts to use? I don't mean a one-project team, I mean a loyal, multi-game making team. Know anyone in particular who's looking for work? Art skills and stuff don't matter. The more, the merrier, you know?

To everyone else:
Please post only votes in this thread from now on. That was all that this thread was meant to be for. Thank you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk