Hard Drive?

Started by Domino, Sun 23/11/2003 06:01:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino

since i went from a 4 GB hard drive to a 37 GB hard drive, i want to know what hard drive you have. Plus, did you have any problems when putting it in. (i.e. adding software, games and such)

its a pain to have to install everything again, unfortunatly , my computer can't handle 2 hard drives.

shawn

TheYak

I've got a Maxtor 7200 RPM 120 G.  Before that I had a Maxtor 7200RPM 60G.  They're not the fastest or best but I've never had any difficulty with Maxtor HD's..  Western Digital, Quantum, Seagate ... another story.  Going to the 60 Gig, Maxtor was kind enough to include a drive-content duplication program and for the other transfer, I hooked 'em up simultaneously and transferred manually.  

So..  how come your computer can't handle 2 HD's?  I haven't had a computer since my 386 that couldn't.  

Domino

well, i have an e-machine. Guess it wasn't made to upgrade.

shawn

TheYak

so, what stops you from adding another?  Whatever mobo they used, it's probably got the usual two IDE channels with 2 devices (master/slave) available for each.  If your IDE 1 cable only has 1 connection, get a new cable.  If this isn't the prob, you could always swap the CD for the new HD long enough to make the transfer.  (Note: If someone has encountered a situation where e-machines uses a mobo that doesn't allow more than 1 HD (somehow) please correct me, but it would be a rarity, indeed)  Back to BuffaloG..  does your manual say it'll only support 1 device per channel or only has one IDE channel?  Is there a model # I can look up to verify stuff?

Domino

yak, i have a  e-machine model etower500is. Originally 32mb of ram, upgraded to 96 mb. when i opened it up there was am extra power supply cable, but no other interface cable.

TheYak

Alrighty..  The ribbon interface-cable, going from the HD to the motherboard, it's only got 2 connectors on it?  (not one near the middle?)  If so, you just need a cable w/ two connectors (usually comes w/ new HD's).  Or, if you want 2 HD's in there only to transfer files to the new one, switch the old HD for the CD and you should be set.

Domino

Timosity

Also there are usually jumpers on the back of your drive, You can set the main drive that boots up your operating system to MASTER and the other drive to SLAVE, or Auto or something like that, there's usually a diagram on the back of your hard drive.

Krynge

Just put in a new a brand new Seagate Barracuda 120GB, because my old 20GB one just died (started sounding like a power drill in last few days). Had no problems, still running ME, but used the 'old school' dos FDISK/FORMAT commands to install it.

juncmodule

"Ya know what they say about a man with a big hard drive?"

I have a 20GB and a 8GB. I have to reformat about once a month and back everything up on CD because I use it all up. Foo. You people and your 120GB hard drives can bite me :P

I used to have an emachine and it allowed 2 hard drives. The cable thing should solve the problem. If I recall mine had two IDE interfaces (CD, HD isn't that sorta standard?). Those little eMachines aren't as bad as people make them out to be. They last a good year or two if you run them hard. Its not like you should expect more considering the price you pay.

later,
-junc

Sylpher

I have 3 HDD's..

C:\ - 30 Gig
D:\ - 8 Gig
E:\ - 80 Gig

For a grand total of 118 Gb. Yay!

I have room for 4 more Hdd's with my mobo so I may get more sometime in the future but let me break down why I use so many hdd's.

My C drive is of course my main drive. I have windows (and at one point had a partition of linux) all my programs and games on there.

My D drive is where I keep my files.. Drawings, Saved games, ags games, essays, whatever. I seperate them so if Windows ever freaks out or something happends on the C drive I can just format and reinstall and all my personal files are untouched.

Then.. my E: drive is what I use for video editing. Anyone who has ever messed with video editing knows why a 80 gig hdd is needed. Probobly even a larger one.

So there you go. I highly recommend split hard drives over massively huge ones.

Barcik

I have one big fat C:\ drive of 80 GB. Just the other day I noticed I went down to only 7 free GB, and quickly cleaned 10 more! Oh, the joy of unistalling junk!
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

AGA

I have two. A 20GB Maxtor as my C:, where Windows and programs are installed, and a 120GB Maxtor as my D:. where games, documents, and everything else is.

Esseb

40GB
80GB
120GB
120GB

For a total of 360GB in this computer (with 10GB free space total...).

Matt Brown

I've got just one..a littlw 20GB drive. It has about 1.8 gigs free, but my PC is starting to not work, so I think its time for some formattage
word up

Hinders

i have 2 hds: one western digital caviar 10gb and a seagate 2gb
none of them works perfectly, the 10gb is full of corrupted sectors, so it is shrinking in size ;D
and i could put 4 more hds cause i got an ide-card ;)
----

Gilbert

Dang, things had become so huge.

My DOS comp:
1GB
4GB
4GB

My Win95 comp:
2GB
2GB
20GB

But they're all SCSI drives, there isn't any single IDE device in my computers, I'm proud of it.

DGMacphee

I have a 40Gb Barracuda ATA IV from Segate -- it is quiet, contains plenty of space for video editing, and has given me no probs.
ABRACADABRA YOUR SPELLS ARE OKAY

DGMacphee Designs - http://www.sylpher.com/DGMacphee/
AGS Awards - http://www.sylpher.com/AGSAwards/

Instagame - http://www.sylpher.com/ig/
"Ah, look! I've just shat a rainbow." - Yakspit

TheYak

On the separation of drives note: I've been doing my system the same way for awhile.  I partition the drive, having about 5 gigs for a c: windows partition and the rest for d:.  About every 2 weeks or so, I ghost the entire c: onto the d: so I have a known-good backup to go to.. every month I burn the oldest backup to a CD and delete it from the HD.  Thankfully, I haven't had to revert yet but should I get a major virus or my HD fail, I feel fairly secure.  It's also a bonus performance-wise as the C: is nicely defragged & optimized, along w/ the swap-file.

Ben

Got me one 40-gigger.. I've only used 14.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk