It's hip to be square

Started by magintz, Mon 24/11/2003 17:43:53

Previous topic - Next topic

magintz

I'm getting myself a Gamecube on Wednesday :D

Can anyone reccomend any good games? I'm already getting Zelda, Mario Kart DD and 007 Nightfire.
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

Privateer Puddin'

Mario Sunshine
Metroid
Viewtiful Joe
Star Wars Rogue Squadron (2 or 3)
Resident Evil remake
Eternal Darkness
MGS Twin Snakes ( when it's out )

theres more but im lazy

Lucky

Well... Super Smash Bros Melee is really great fun, especially if you have more than just one controller.

I could also recommend Star Fox Adventures.

Kweepa

Games I liked
Super Monkey Ball (for multiplayer)
Eternal Darkness
Resident Evil Remake
Metroid Prime :)

Games I didn't like so much
Rogue Leader (first level was superb, after that it went downhill rapidly)
Spiderman (kinda fun, but nothing special)
Starfox Adventures (ditto)

Steve
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Dave Gilbert

Eternal Darkness!  Eternal Darkness!

Did I say Eternal Darkness!

I liked that one.  It was one of the very few "survival horror" games that succeeded in creeping me out, and it has an epic story to go with it.

Zelda: Windwaker is excellent is you're a fan of the series.  Kinda "cutesy" though.

I hear Viewtiful Joe is lots of fun, although I haven't played that one yet.

AGA

Bah, save the money and upgrade your PC.

rodekill

The new Prince of Persia is excellent.
SHAWNO NEWS FLASH: Rodekill.com, not updated because I suck at animation. Long story.
peepee

Krynge

yeh I got a gamecube, some good titles to get include:

Resident Evil Remake
Resident Evil 0
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance
Super Mario Sunshine

Evil

I thought Pikman (sp?) was great. Way to easy though. I beat it in one night (7 hours). I wouldnt buy it, but most definatly rent it if you are bored.

Scummbuddy

Pikmin yes. and Boduki or whatever, Dragonballz, if youre into the show and love fighting games
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

Sylpher

Steping into Sylpher land right now..

Eternal Darkness
Zelda
Super Monkey ball 1/2 soon 3
Viewtiful Joe

Are games I wouldn't dream about having a cube and if not own at least play.. many times.

You will hear quite a bit about those games I'm sure so I will recommend the lesser known rocking hard games, imo..

Ikaruga

Right at the top of my list. This has to be the most frustrating, difficult, fun old-school arcade space shooter made in an extremely long time..If you like the old scrolling shooters (Games like Gradius, Aero Fighters ring a bell? Lifeforce? EDF? If so You must must must check out Ikaruga)

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

This game has only been out like a month and it is already getting the cold shoulder. The character designs and overall game design is worth it alone.. add the fact that the gameplay rocks and it has switching characters and yeah it rocks..

Lost Kingdoms II

The first was alright at best the sequel was a lot better imo (even though some reviews said it was hardley and update.. I think they more then likely put in an hour or two in the game). Even though this isn't the greatest written rpg ever created it is one of the best card based rpgs.. however card based rpgs aren't exactly fond to the average gamer so unless magic or heaven forbid pokemon sounds somewhat appealing stay away..

Wave Race Blue Storm

It was a launch game so it is somewhat dated graphic wise but when it debuted it was beautiful.. and beyond that it is fun and hard as hell..

Rayman 3

This is an all systems game but still a sadly under appretiated platformer.. It has style, comedy, great puzzles, loooong lasting enjoyable game play and very pretty graphics.

Eternal Darkness

Yeah I listed it above but it deserves repeating. If you like resident evil just a little bit get this game.. hell even if you don't like resident evil but like games with atmosphere get it.. It was just an incredible game.

Skies of Arcadia Legends

If you didn't play this on dreamcast and like RPG's go buy it right now.. stop reading this stop thinking just get up walk out and buy it. You don't need to know anymore just buy it.. end of story.

F-Zero GX

Same as the above cept if you liked the previous F-zero games.. even if you sorta liked them but wish they were a bit more then BAM..

Sega Soccer Slam

The funnest multiplayer soccer game ever.. take Fifa 200x and shove it up the jolly pipes sega soccer slam is fun.. damn double fun..

Animal Crossing

If you are willing to get off any type of "I'm cool and only play cool games" bullshit and you have One or Two more people who want to live in the same town (or other towns if you got the memory cards) this is probobly one of the most interesting 'multiplayer' games you will ever play..

the brothers chap put it best I think calling it video game crack..

Resident Evil Remake and 0

I know many people the just shoved these games aside.. Which is sad because you can see just playing the games Capcom did a lot more then rehash the psx game or just throw together a prequel. I would recommend 0 over the remake if you played the psx version.. I would say play the remake sooner or later cause I think it stands very well on it's own but 0 has great atmosphere.. which even though RE games have some atmosphere they seem to go for more BOO then anything else.. 0 captures the feel of being on a dark broke down train perfectly.. I mean their are plenty of BOO moments but this one just had so much more of a creepy feeling to me. Might be cause I like trains, I dunno.

Just came out or coming soon which I give two kick face thumbs up..
If you like such games..

Tony Hawk Underground
Need For Speed Underground
Underground Underground
(Scratch Previous)
1080 Avalanche (I.. must.. have)
Final Fantasy CC
XIII
Beyond Good & Evil

As well there are the two Zelda discs.. first one contains Ocarina of Time and Master quest.. but I would try to nab a cube with the collection inside.. you get all the Zeldas cept A link to the past and the game boy games (which all rock too if you are ever interested).. but OOT and majoras mask still hold there own to this day.

So yeah I forgot some.. but those are my favs that I can remember.

Privateer Puddin'

We don't have Animal Crossing in the UK, so unless Magintz gets a Freeloader disc and then imports it in, its a no go :( excellent game though

Interference

Yay, Gamecube. I'm a PC owner at heart but I might well be buying a friend's Gamecube off him with a couple of games at a knock-down price.
-- Interference

"Wasting people's valuable time since 1984"

remixor

I don't have a GameCube, but I will also endorse Pikmin.  It's excellent!  I've played it a good deal on a friend's console and it's great.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

PureGhostGR

a) Zelda - The Wind Walker.
b) Eternal Darkness.
c) Metroid Prime.
d) Resident Evil 0.

e) The gameboy "extension" and a copy of the wicked good Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

These should keep you buzy for a couple of months.

magintz

AGA - Getting the gamecube is cheaper and better than upgrading my PC. I already have a 2.66ghz, 512mb RAM, 64mb graphics... I don't need any more and I want NINTENDO games on a console coz it si so much better to play games on sometimes and it has unique stuff which isn't out on PC or any other console such as Zelda and Mario Kart :D
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

TheYak

Not to mention the price-drop has made it extremely affordable.  I saw an ad selling it for $99, including Zelda 1 & 2, both the zeldas from the 64 & a demo (whoopie!) for Windwalker

Captain Mostly

Get Pikmin because it's the BEST game on the GC!

ALSO:
Doshin the Giant!!!
This is the Weirdest game on the GC, PARTICULARLY the ending (is this the prequil to pikmin?!?!? I THINK SO!!!!!!)

Ikaruga and Viewtiful Joe are hip, but I think pikmin and Doshin are more lady-friendly games.

magintz

Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil seem to have popped up a lot, maybe I will check them out, but for now I have my eyes set on a memory card, extra controller, RF cable and Super Smash Brothers or possibly nothing else at this current point in time... But I definately need the RF lead and Memory card, I'm tempted to go for an unoffical 64mb for £19.99 :D

p.s all afternoon Zelda has been r0x0rzing my b0x0rz!

We had a deal on at the place I work Mario Kart double dash pack which includes the platinum console, the game, all the old zelda games, demo of windwaker and 2 extra games for £99 which is about $60 methinks

Haddas

A Gamecube costs 99 â,¬uros here in Finland... At least it does in Citymarket of Porvoo (It's an medieval market with hangings every thursday afernoon). ;D

No it isn't! Hahaa... You FOOLS! How can you believe such a stupid story!
A Gamecube for 99 â,¬... Yeah right!

Privateer Puddin'

You seem to be confused with the dollar there, Magintz. I'd say, £99 is about, $140?

Haddas

But seriously a gamecube REALLY costs 99â,¬ here...

Domino

I'm a bigger Playstation 2 fan, but i did buy a GameCube this summer. I bought Zelda, Animal Crossing and Harry Potter. It came with Super Mario Sunshine. Zelda was a pretty good game, but i got bored of it pretty quickly. I kind of got sick and tired of having to change wind direction everytime you wanted to sail somewhere. Graphics aren't to shabby either.

Shawn

Inkoddi

ARGH! I'm going to hitch-hike to Finland and buy a Gamecube!! (not seriously)

Magintz, do NOT buy the Sims!!! It's even worse than the PC version

Anym

I'm sure finnish Gamecubes are strange and different. Gämmekkübenen perhaps?
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

Haddas

No... Just "Made in China" or something. Gameconsoles are some of the everyday things here, just like toast.
"- Mom! Could you bring me a couple of Xboxes on your way home? Thanks!"
:)

Darth Mandarb

I'm dying to play the new Mario Kart : Double Dash.  I have played (and loved) every version of Mario Kart that's been made.  I almost bought a Gamecube yesterday but I don't like buying things like that around Christmas time.

Get this.  My girlfriend owns a Gamecube but her ex-boyfriend never gave it back.  She has two controllers and 6 games.  She doesn't want to communicate with the guy (he's a big time loser).  She doesn't think he'll give it back.  I was like, "let me talk to him ... he'll give it back!"

I'm trying to convince her to call him.  (man am I selfish)!!  But her apartment doesn't have cable or a computer and whenever I'm there I get so bored!!!  (she can sleep at night and I can't ... so once she's asleep there's just nothing for me to do :()

]).]v[.

remixor

Quote from: Haddas on Wed 26/11/2003 19:10:12
But seriously a gamecube REALLY costs 99â,¬ here...

They cost $99 here.

Also, to Magintz: I'd say that's more like $160 (still a good deal, though).
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk