OpenOffice v1.1 - worth switching?

Started by ThunderStorm, Tue 25/11/2003 20:33:24

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderStorm

Just a small question about a big download:

Has anyone tried the new OpenOffice 1.1? It is said to have some cool new features, such as the ability to write PDF files directly to the hard disk. However - StarOffice 5.2, which is installed on this PC (Pentium II, 350 MHz) already runs rather slowly - does OpenOffice feature a better performance?

In short: Is it worth switching? Any opinions?

Thanks in advance,
Thunder

RickJ

I use it and have no complaints.    IMHO it's well worth the download time.  You haven't said how much memory your computer has.  Memory is cheap, especially for your machine, and can in many situations significantly increass performance.  If you machine has 64Mb or less  I would consider upgrading to 256Mb or more.

I don;t think you will be dissapointed by Open Office.

edmundito

I use it to make PDFs or Spreadsheets... since this computer came with Microsoft Word. I like it... I guess it takes some time to get used to it, though.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

ThunderStorm

Thanks for the replies!

Just to clear things up: I already use StarOffice, which (as far as I know) was made open source and developed into OpenOffice. It's just that I'm not sure whether it's worth the effort to upgrade (ahaa! That's the word I was looking for  :)) to OpenOffice.

Ah, about memory: It's 32MB  :-\
Family PC you know - but I'd have to install it on this machine as well as on my own PC for compatibilty reasons - only one printer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk