Thoughts on Palm and CE adventuring

Started by DCillusion, Sat 29/05/2004 20:39:20

Previous topic - Next topic

DCillusion

I know I'm posting a lot, but these things have been eating at my brain.

Does anyone have any thoughts about porting AGS to Palm or Windows CE?  To desktop users, these games are nostalgic, but to owners of PDAs,  AGS is current to all the other software available.  I have no idea as to the difficulties of porting the system, but it seems like it could be a great opportunity for AGS.

Czar

(this topic comes every now and then)

Like first, I would have to say that it sounds ridicolous to port a game making engine to a platform that doesnt even have a keyboard.
Okay it has, but it really isnt simple. IMO there would be more frustration than enjoyment (depending from case to case ofcourse).

But porting AGS games... Now thats a different story. :)
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

Hollister Man

That's prolly what he meant, making an engine that couldcompile AGS games for the handheld platform.  Their hardware is more advanced (hi color 320x200 or more, hundreds of mb of memory) but they still can't seem to port the 'good old' adventures.  Even a simple engine comparacle to AGSEdit in dos would be acceptable to make handheld games.
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

Your whole planet is gonna blow up!  Your whole DAMN planet...

DCillusion

Yeah, I meant the games.  Sorry I wasn't clear about that.  Hollister nailed my point!!!!  There's a 500mhz Samsung on the market, and on the Palm website, the games look like the original Gameboy!!!!????  95% of all games designed for PDA's would barely rate a second glance on this website...............AND PEOPLE SELL THEM COMMERCIALLY!!!!!

Migs

It's a known fact that cell phone companies and other mobile development units are interested in the "old school" style of games.Ã,  AGS games could certainly fill a niche, perhaps even a profitable one, if they could be ported.  Much easier said than done, though.
This signature intentionally left blank.

Hollister Man

ScummVM has proven that an engine can be ported, but someone would have to get the initiative to write or rewrite a game to fit within the memory available (even BASS will run on some other handhelds, but not mine.  The T|T just has not enough memory.)
That's like looking through a microscope at a bacterial culture and seeing a THOUSAND DANCING HAMSTERS!

RLacey

I have to say, I would be playing tons more AGS games if I could play them on my handheld...
http://www.laceyware.com - Free Games!

http://www.adventuregamers.com/underground - I'm a writer, don't you know...

00jon00

I'd love to have AGS on my palm pilot.

Hollister Man

What kind do you have?  Some of the Zire and Clie models support ScummVM pretty well.

Czar

think about all that pixel hunting galore.
Woo!
Roses are #FF0000
Violets are #0000FF
All my base
are belong to you

magintz

I have an old Palm V I never use anymore, perhaps I should sell it on E-Bay, I wonder how much it's worth?
When I was a little kid we had a sand box. It was a quicksand box. I was an only child... eventually.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk