Roger is ugly. And about the demo game.

Started by Phemar, Sun 25/01/2004 08:02:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Phemar

I have decided yo make an announcement. I hate Roger. I can't stand him, I am really sorry Chris, but I just hate the way he walks, talks, eats and sleeps. I will get my revenge one day. ONE DAY! MWU HU HA HA HAHA!!!!!! uhh.

[edit: change subject]

Pessi

I was wondering, would it be good to upgrade the default graphics? I mean, the way I see it, the current graphics kind of reflect more DOS Roomedit. Naturally, you can and will replace the default graphics but I personally would find it nicer to work with graphically more advanced sprites. They just don't seem to make the right impression of what AGS is capable of.

Is it just me?

TheYak

Strangely, a good point is brought up in a round-about way.  I've been thinking along those lines for awhile now.  A replacement for the default bluecup is also long overdue.  No offense to CJ, but it'd be nice to kick AGS up to some really clean/professional-looking graphics for its demo.

Pumaman

Quote from: Zor on Sun 25/01/2004 08:02:47
I hate Roger. I can't stand him

I've hated him ever since my wife left me to be with him.

QuoteI was wondering, would it be good to upgrade the default graphics? I mean, the way I see it, the current graphics kind of reflect more DOS Roomedit.

Yes, I'd agree. This kind of comes back to the whole issue of the demo game again - I think there was a team who were going to take on the demo game, lead by Joseph DiPerla, but I'm not sure what happened to that.

You're right though, the default graphics that come in the Blank Game template should really be a bit more professional. This gets mentioned from time to time, but nobody really seems to have the time to actually do something about it.

QuoteA replacement for the default bluecup is also long overdue

NEVER!!111 You can take our Rogers, our Pink Posters and our Yellow Keys, but you can never take our Blue Cups!

TheYak

Not replacing it with another color of cup, god forbid!  Just meant giving it a nicer look.  ;)

I'd be willing (and proud) to re-do as much of the graphics as I was allowed to but lack the skill that others could bring the project.  Hence, I become another member of the peanut-gallery.

Evil

Yes. I'd have to agree also. That pink poster bothers the hell out of me. I would rather have Roger then that stupid, pink poster. I say revolt. Ban the pink Poster!

Pessi

YakSpit, I was thinking about the same thing. What if there's someone else out there who could do a better job? How about a competition or something? I'd be willing to give it a shot!

shbaz

I could make a really good blue cup, but probably not a good Roger. Maybe we should make Chris the default character.   :D
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Evil

"You rub you hands up and down your clothes."
"Talking to yourself is a sign of madness."

Yep sounds like CJ.

Matt Brown

sounds like a spirtejam if I ever heard one...
word up

Vel

I also agree that the default graphics should be more professionally looking. I prefer none to those yellow keys and pink posters. And that faint copy of Roger Wilco.

Raggit

If you hate roger why don't you draw your own character?????
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

BOYD1981

Quote from: Raggit on Sun 25/01/2004 19:21:51
If you hate roger why don't you draw your own character?????

i second that

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Nine Toes

I'm with Pessi, and the rest of you who agree.  I've actually been thinking about that a little bit lately, I just never considered actually mentioning it.

Yeah, this'd be a cool little contest for the competition forums... :)
Watch, I just killed this topic...

Raggit

Well does anybody actually use Roger as their games finale character???

I always thought that CJ put him there for immediate use and testing etc...  
--- BARACK OBAMA '08 ---
www.barackobama.com

TheYak

Yeah, he's there for testing but Pessi's original point (correct me if I'm wrong here) was that the demo game was a new AGS user's first impression of the engine.  I don't know about the rest of you but when I fired up a couple different game-making programs, I checked the demo game first thing, messed around with capabilities, checked out graphics and what kind of effects were possible.  

Especially since we've now got some advanced graphics options, there's a lot we could improve upon.  If the graphics are redone, however, they have to be consistent.  So, a competition wouldn't necessarily be a Sprite Jam but more of a conglomeration.  A kind of Sprite Jam/Background Blitz.  If there's going to be a new demo scripted then some coordination would be needed there.    

Or, we could vote/decide upon a style to emulate.  It would be quite cool to show a new user that the engine can be used to make a very DOTT or SQ type game.  

Nacho

I shouldn't see logic to put some DoTT character as a default character because the original template is oriented to sierra style... But I think that there must be a good Roger Wilco walcycle somewhere. Anyway, if you want to go on with the idea of the contest, it seems cool...
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

MrColossal

i always thought that if someone wanted to see what AGS could do they'd figure it out from the tons of games out there that all have wildly different styles

i love diminutive polio riddled Roger
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

remixor

For some reason, I agree with Eric, but it wouldn't really bother me either way.
Writer, Idle Thumbs!! - "We're probably all about video games!"
News Editor, Adventure Gamers

Phemar

Roger woudn't be so bad if they fixed up his walkcycle, redid his body, added different color and made his head the face of Robin Williams.

P.S. am I allowed to say 'robin williams' on the internet?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk