May MAGS

Started by Klaus, Mon 03/05/2004 08:35:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Theme - Open Source Robbery

This theme may sound strange but it combines two main rules for this month's competition:

- To show new AGSers how to solve problems with the system this time your AGS code must be open source. So you have to upload both: Your game and the source code.

- The game must be about robbery. So it could be all you can imagine from insurance fraud to a planned bank robbery or a burglary.

- Also pick at least two items from the list below and include them somehow in your game:
lockpick
blueprint
night vision device
safe
alarm device
mask
black cape
headset
cutting torch
welding torch
gloves
watchman

no other restrictions

For the voting in the end only the game play is important as your code won't be checked for good or bad style. Anyway the source must be available.

---------------------------------------------------------------

All games in by May 27th.

Please post a download link of your game entry and its source code to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Ginny

Sounds good, maybe I'll try it.. Now just to think of a robbery... ;)

Btw, I like the open-source rule, it'll be fun. :)
Try Not to Breathe - coming sooner or later!

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Haddas

I can't script... :(

... at all

LGM

I just may enter.. Do cyber-robberies count?
You. Me. Denny's.

Redwall

Can the watchman be a character?
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

Rocco

Quote from: LilGryphMaster on Mon 03/05/2004 22:39:04
I just may enter.. Do cyber-robberies count?

Yes, all kinds of robbery.

@redwall: for sure.

Kraf

I'm in. My entry's coming along nicely, and will probably be posted next week...
My only question is about the not getting other people to do parts of the game for you. Would it be ok if a friend of mine drew out a sketch of the main character on paper that I would interpret in paint?

shbaz

Well, I've never made a game before, so the outcome of this could be terrible to mediocre, but I think it's time for me to give it a try. I also promised to do a tutorial showing how to make 3d backgrounds, so there will be the added addition of "open-source backgrounds" because the .blend files will be available.Ã,  :D
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Klaus

Quote from: Kraf on Tue 04/05/2004 23:02:40
Would it be ok if a friend of mine drew out a sketch of the main character on paper that I would interpret in paint?
In history of MAGS there already have been entries written by several people that created different parts of the game: One took the scripting section while the other was doing artwork or music. So for your request that's absolutely okay.

Kraf

Great. By the way, this would be my first actual game to. On thje other hand I made a quick and pointless 1 room game to learn the system.

shbaz

Got my concept mostly complete, just to be sure though, does ransom count as robbery, since there is money being taken illegaly?

Actually, it's more like a, "I'll do this if you don't give me this," rather than a typical ransom.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Hindersh sch00l

!!!!!
where have i been??
havent posted since mars or something:O
just started to work on krap quest again:)
maybe i will enter this,  open source sounds like a cool idea!

if i enter, i hope that i get this mags game finished:P

Kraf

2 more animations and I'm finished!  :D

Quotehavent posted since mars or something:O
?! :O ?!

;)

Ginny

Kraf: What, already? Man, you're fast. Tell me your secret! :D
I haven't even gotten around to starting yet, especciaaly since AGS, Photoshop, and most other programs don't work. I do hope to make a short game if I have time. :)

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later, we push up flowers. - Membrillo, Grim Fandango coroner

Kraf

Secret? You mean like going to the mags site repeadetly until the new rules were up? Or do you mean calling in sick, then going downstairs and working 5 hours straight on my game?   :D

Edit:Alright, I'm done, but I'm going to need help on instructions how to get it out there for you guys. How do I upload my zipfile? Is there a certain destination for me to do so?

Ginny

You need a hosting site. If the file is smaller than 1 megabyte, you can upload it here:
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/upload/upload.html
Otherwise, you need to sign up for a free hosting company. There are many, however a lot of them have a file size limit or don't allow files like .zip, .rar, .exe, etc...

These seem to be good ones:
http://www.domaindlx.com/
edit: Ah, damn, no it's not..
"We do not allow any type of programs, software, or MP3 files on our server.  Also hotlinking is not allowed."
In that case, I think these are the only ones I've found that allow these file types:
http://www.tripod.lycos.co.uk/
http://www.portland.co.uk/freewebhosting.esp
http://www.50megs.com/ (not sure yet)
Still, I think it's likely that your file is smaller than 1 meg anyway, my mags games usually are very small when zipped. :)

shbaz

Hey, uh, any status on my question? It's rather important, I've started modelling already..

Klaus

Quote from: shbazjinkens on Tue 11/05/2004 05:22:59
Hey, uh, any status on my question?
Quote from: shbazjinkens on Thu 06/05/2004 09:38:31
does ransom count as robbery, since there is money being taken illegaly?
Well, if Rocco accepts "cyber-robberies" then "ransom" is also allowed - of course only as a game topic. :)
Go for it.

Blane

I've got a some questions and some stuff to say

Q #1: Can a guy sneak into some mansion that once belonged to a rich dude in search of goods and have to escape

Q #2: Does the whole game have to be about a robbery, or can the robbery cause the plot?

Q #3: Does it have to be scripted?

Q #4: If the game's looks and possibly plot is crappy but the game itself is great, do I have a chance of winning?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk