Grim Fandango graphics

Started by BloodNose, Fri 16/07/2004 20:14:38

Previous topic - Next topic

BloodNose

I'm working on a Grim Fandango 2 fan game and was wondering if any one else has ever created there own versions of the games graphics or perhaps a gui system.

scotch

Couldn't be done in AGS.
There's no AGS type adventure game engine that supports that kind of graphics at the moment unfortunately.
You'd have to code the engine yourself or do a lot of scripting in a general purpose 3d game engine.

BloodNose

What I mean is has any one tried to creat there own 2D versions of the graphics.
I understand that theres isn't realy a good chance for creating a full 3D game in AGS.

Yufshter Esq

Ah, what you mean is, has anybody ever tried to recreate the style in 2D?

Monkey Island 3, the Restaurant on the first Island... has a 2D Manny, LucasArts style.

Sam.

don't know if this is what you mean. I just traced over a 3d sprite t o make it 2d.  it just gives an idea of the style y'know
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

Mr Flibble

Woah.
If I had a plot, a gui, and a reason for manny to come back to the land of the dead, I'd make a gf game tomorrow.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Yufshter Esq

What about just a reason for Manny to go to the land of the Dead in the first place? ....Eh?

shbaz

If it were me, I'd make him in 3d and use rendered 2d sprites.. but I know how to use a 3d prog, so that probably wouldn't work for you.

If you really wanted to be true to the original, there is a free 3d game engine that could do it, though you'd really need to learn to do the graphics yourself.
Once I killed a man. His name was Mario, I think. His brother Luigi was upset at first, but adamant to continue on the adventure that they started together.

Mr Flibble

Quote from: Yufshter Esq
What about just a reason for Manny to go to the land of the Dead in the first place? ....Eh?

Well, in Grim Fandango, the main character, Manny, was *living* in the Land Of The Dead. Then at the end of the game, he went to Heaven ( I forget what its refered to as in the game).

Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Layabout

How about not doing a grim fandango 2!!!

The game had a solid ending... no need for a sequel.

Unless you were to make a spin off.

Which would be alright.
I am Jean-Pierre.

Mats Berglinn

Who said that it must be about Manny if it's going to happen after the game? It could be a new travel-agent who gets into a new corruption or whatever. If there's going to be Manny in the game then you can't make a story after the game. Either before the game or between the years.

A-Hed

Or it could be about Glottis trying to get Manny back? Anyway, I found this site a while back, it's some Grim Fandango scripts.

http://www.fanfiction.net/list.php?categoryid=1283

viktor

Hm...
I don't remember the ending of the game werry well.
This may sound like a stoopid idea but how about bringing many to life and make a grim fandango story BEFORE the original...
signature" border="0
<a target='_blank' href='https://imgbb.com/'>resurrection pictures for facebook</a>

Mats Berglinn

Well there are another site with fanfics of stories between, before and after Grim Fandango. There's an interresting one which happens between Year 2 and Year 3 (the travel from Rubacava to Puerto Zapato).

Here's the adress: http://lucasfic.mixnmojo.com/fanficn.htm

BloodNose

Ok, I'm making a fan sequal to Grim Fandango.
I'll give you what I have so far, but it's still a work in progress.

As we all know Manny went to Heaven at the end of the game.
This is where my story will take place.  Manny is in his paradise and awaiting his new life, (I have created a few versions of what I feel Manny may look like allive)
Manny goe's through his portal and into his new life, but as manny's portal is opening on the other side, a misterious figure is floating around in the shadows.
Manny crashes to the ground, do to the wrong position of his portal, and takes a look at the area around him (a tropic island, manny will be standing next to a small overhang)
As Manny is marveling at his good looks, more or less his skin, a large rock is hurled down of the overhang crushing Manny.

You play as Manny Calavera, but this time you are not the travel agent.
Wallice, a dimwitted agent of the DOD is on your side to take you to the number nine.  But there seems to be a larger and more evil power in the streets of the Dead,  and Manny must uncover the mystory of why he is back in the land of the dead.

so this is what I have so far for the opening of the game.
I'm working on Curse of Monkey Island style GUI system right now,  but for the commands I still want a the coin look but more bone like and less piratie.

Secret Fawful

prowler

the mi3 verb-coin has already been scripted, you could look for a template or smth on some sites...

BloodNose

I know I allready have the CM gui but I'm just doing a paint over for a different look, I allready have the inventory but right now I'm trying to creat a verb coin but can't realy make one that looks good.

Sam.

a mix between CMI and the FT gui could be cool. Your plot sounds really good, I wish you good luck mate. can we see some of your designs?

EDIT: HAHAHAHA! A fine example of our moderators working together. Mods moves it to critics and Andail moves it right on back. Good work! Made my day
Bye bye thankyou I love you.

BloodNose

Yeah, well these are some of the versions of the living manny I'm not sure wich to use there still in progress  http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/BloodNoses_Manny.bmp

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk