Force majeure 2: The Zone (Released)

Started by simulacra, Sat 24/07/2004 17:44:55

Previous topic - Next topic

simulacra

You are the sole survivor of an unknown catastrophe, trapped in an air-raid shelter. Escaping your confinement, you face a delusional reality known only as the Zone â€" a place where your own mind is your enemy. The city is in ruins: explore a dreamy landscape through the eyes of a lone wanderer trying to piece together fragments of the past.

Force majeure II: The Zone is an audio-visual interactive story by Leo Nordwall set in a ruined city where everything seems uncertain. The Zone is experienced from a first-person perspective and is navigated by pointing-and-clicking. Photos, drawings, 3D renderings and live video footage have been integrated into a unique visual experience. The soundtrack is over 70 minutes long and features new tracks in the tradition of electro-acoustic music, ambient and electronica.

While there are plenty of interactive works and games that entertain by providing puzzle solving, action and slapstick humour, the Zone is all about exploring the unknown territories of the mind. If you feel that issues such as philosophy, poetry, metaphysics and art is your cup of tea, the story might interest you. If not, the irreal meanderings of the Zone is best left alone.

Force majeure: The Zone is produced by Leo Nordwall in cooperation with Interacting Arts.

Facts

Play time: 1,5â€"2,5 hours
Number of locations: 75
Soundtrack: Over 70 minutes
Platforms: Windows XP (Mac OS X and Linux ports are underway)

Game web site with screenshots, music and video downloads: http://interactingarts.org/thezone/

Screenshots

First encounter

The Concrete Ziggurat

Our special place

Inside the old laboratory

Answering the phone

Rendezvous

Exploring the ruins

Printer problems

Rendezvous II

A dangerous Zone dweller

simulacra

I thought I'd just give a report on how things are going so far and post a few screenshots. There will be a web page for the game soon, where you'll be able to sign up as a beta tester.

So far, there are 34  46 52 detailed rooms with an original CD-quality soundtrack. As you see below, the game is not made in the traditional cartoon style. :o The game is quite linear in the beginning, but divides into several intertwining sub-episodes. If you enjoy works by authors such as Philip K Dick, Arkady and Boris Strugatsky, works by filmmakers such as Tarkovskij or David Lynch, or music like the Silent Hill OSTs or Future Sound of London, you probably will enjoy the Zone as well.

If you want some information on the live roleplaying game which is the first part of the story, please visit: http://interactingarts.org/force/

Screenshots

Inside the old laboratory

Answering the phone

Rendezvous

Exploring the ruins

Printer problems

Rendezvous II

deadsuperhero

They look great. Did you make them yourself?
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

simulacra

Quote from: Webspider on Wed 11/08/2004 18:56:28
They look great. Did you make them yourself?

Yes, I did. I actually made the white costume for the project.

simulacra

Game web site released with screenshots, call for beta testers and sneak preview downloads of soundtrack bits and pieces.

http://interactingarts.org/thezone/

MoodyBlues

Woah.  This looks good. :o

The screenshots are beautiful, and the storyline is very intriguing - almost Sanitarium-like.  Best of luck with this one!
Atapi - A Fantasy Adventure
Now available!: http://www.afwcon.org/

Goldmund

This looks very cool.
But aren't you afraid that the lack of other character may make the gameplay rather dull?

simulacra

Quote from: Goldmund on Mon 30/08/2004 04:35:26
This looks very cool.
But aren't you afraid that the lack of other character may make the gameplay rather dull?

That is actually somewhat of a problem. But there are some characters: zone wanderers, a long-lost love, a talking vat, some old collegues and ... umm... an elephant.

simulacra

Designer's notes - 10th September 2004

I have been working on The Zone for a year now. After finishing the first part of this interactive drama series (Force majeure), I was left with a feeling of emptiness. So much work put into a project... and yet one question remained unanswered. What is the Zone?

The Zone starts where Force majeure ends. In Force majeure, thirteen people find themselves trapped in an old air-raid shelter after a mysterious disaster and you get to experience the first two hours of entrapment. Physically. During Force majeure, you hear fragments of several radio messages broadcasted by a lone wanderer in a city struck by disaster. But these messages get more and more surreal and become a major topic for speculation in the shelter. Is it safe to leave? No one knows for sure. And those who do leave find themselves in quite a different city.

During work on Force majeure I got lots of ideas concerning what might have happened out there. But I soon realised that these notions were too surreal to enact physically. A different form of expression was needed.

I opted for a graphical point-and-click adventure. The focus would on telling the story of the Zone and to provide a audiovisual experience strong enough to give the player a sense of having been there. The story is primarily told using text, supported by images and sound. The alternative would have been to let animations bring the story across, but that unfortunately would be out of scope in a one person, non-funded project. There was so much to tell about the Zone, that I preferred being able to tell the whole story rather than making a short, graphically spectacular episode.

So far, the work has moved forward at a fairly steady pace. The basic structure of the game is mapped: you start out by escaping your confinement in the old air-raid shelter, meet other lost souls (or are they?) and get to visit your old work place. After that, the game becomes less linear and you get to explore the Zone freely. This is done by navigating a map, where you reach episodes at different locations. These are interconnected and trigger events and sub-stories in other sub-plots. The climax of the game is the journey into the mythical centre of the Zone, a journey, the outcome of which depends on your previous actions.

The storylines form an ujjjjjjjjh (oops, a cat stepped on the keyboard). What I was about to say was that the storylines together form a mirror image of the life the protagonist has lived previous to the disaster. Many of these stories originate in my own life: wierd thoughts about the nature of reality, strange visions and events that are better left untold. And a substantial amount of philosophy. Cultural studies sure can turn your head outside in.

The problem that the protagonist tries to solve is perhaps not what the Zone is, but what reality is. I'm not quite sure there are answers such questions. Only those who reach the centre of the Zone will ever know, and none of those who travel there ever return. As with all other pursuits of knowledge it is a one-way journey.

Enjoy your trips.

simulacra

New screenshots

The Concrete Ziggurat

Our special place *

* Yes, it is an intertextual reference. There are plenty of those in the game.

pslocum

This continues to look great. I look forward to it.

splat44

Woa, mystifying sound too!

Sound great and good luck

simulacra

New screenshot

A chance meeting

Another costume made for the project, with me as a model. Hope you like it!

Chicky

Looks excellent, i must say. I really admire the effort you're putting into this project.

Rincewind

Wow - I agree, this looks bloody marvelous! There is a very odd and eerie feeling over the screenshots, and I think I'm gonna enjoy playing this one... :)

The best of luck with it!

simulacra

Hi there.

I just wanted to tell you that the project is still running. I am currently wrapping up the oneironaut subplot (which has a screenshot above "A chance meeting"). I am also finishing the love plot, which includes a suicide theme. The suicide has now been made interactive (you can opt to avoid it up to a certain point), after some serious consideration.

I have decided to make a small series of boxed games as well, which will include a full soundtrack for CD listening as well as some in-depth background for those who are interested.

That's it for today.

Goldmund

Ha ha, oneironaut? This sounds interesting, a very nice idea!
Great to hear you're still working on this.

Haddas

How about the music? will it be resident evilly or nice?

simulacra

Quote from: Haddas on Sun 12/12/2004 17:51:56
How about the music? will it be resident evilly or nice?

Imagine Satie meeting Yamaoka (composer of Silent Hill soundtracks). There are some sample music available on the game's website.

Goldmund

Erik Satie?

That's all I've got to know. He's the only composer that I like so much that I have learnt to play his works on the piano (mainly Gnosiennes).
This game will rock.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk