Gift of Aldora (RPG) - UPDATED 12/02/06

Started by Kinoko, Wed 28/07/2004 03:02:50

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinoko

Well, I was debating whether or not to do this when the game isn't close to being completed yet, but there is enough of it done to promise results so I figured, why not? It'd be nice to get some feedback.

-TITLE-

-INFO-
The game is called "Gift of Aldora" and is an RPG based mainly on the Enix style of SNES RPGs (free roaming, not tile-based, and not turn-based combat) but also including basic ideas taken from all my favourite RPGs and, of course, many of my own.

-STORY-
You play Kin, a guy living in the peaceful town of Boronia when one day you are approached by a girl named Kaya. She is a messenger sent by the controllers of Fate to find you. She tells you that the Master of Fate has dissapeared and as a result, the world is fading. It won't be long before everything is lost and the world ceases to exist. You are told that it is up to you to find him again before all is lost. What has happened to the master of Fate? What does destiny have in store for you? You and a companion must travel the world and find out.

-MORE INFO-
The battle system is live (as said before, not turn-based) and similar to the Secret of Mana/Terranigma style games. There will be (hopefully) a nice mix of role playing and combat. It will be completely keyboard controlled, and although the story is linear, there will be a reasonable amount of "extra" things to do and ways to change the story. The story will already deviate in certain ways depending on which companion you choose.

-SCREENSHOTS-

-SAMPLE MUSIC-
I'm not a musical person in the least, but I wanted everything in the game to be my own, so I've made 90% of the tracks myself. (Modgeulator did the theme music for me, which is -gorgeous- because he's a genius!)
http://kinoko.futariba.com/misc/home.mp3
http://kinoko.futariba.com/misc/icecave.mp3
http://kinoko.futariba.com/misc/porttown.mp3

I chose to upload these because they've already been posted in the critics forum, so it's not like they're a secret.

-WEBPAGE-
http://kinoko.futariba.com/games/gift/

-PROGRESS-
At this stage, it's probably about 25% completed, but it's hard to say.

-RELEASE DATE-
By end-2006 would be nice.

-DEMO-
Coming in the next few days!

BerserkerTails

I've been waiting for your thread about this, knowing it was only a matter of time. Looks AWESOME Kinoko, I can't wait. If it's even close toa s good as Cirque de Zale, it'll be an amazing RPG. I still can't believe its being made entirely with AGS...
I make music.

Moox

Finnaly, A thread. I like the look of yours, good luck with it.

Darth Mandarb

Excellent!

I too have been anticipating this!

I've been 'writing' this story (in my head mostly but I HAVE some on paper!) for about 12 years now and one of the main characters is named Kin!  (one day I'll get it published)

Anyway, just thought I'd share!

This looks promising.  Yes ... promising indeed.

Toefur

Awesome. Looks and sounds really great. Keep us posted on progress!

Alynn

I love the Red X's.... very stylish...

Pet Terry

I love the look of this one, it's like those old RGPs for SNES. I bet this is going to be fun!
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Kinoko

Thanks everyone ^_^ The comments help keep me motivated! *shows heavily motivated muscles*

I keep updating when there's significant progress and might put a couple more screenshots up every now and again.

Rincewind

Did someone mention... Terranigma? :D Joy!
One of my favourite games ever... Looking forward to this very, very much! :)

PaulSC

I'm looking forward to this one - Cirque De Zale was quality entertainment (though I'm guessing this won't be anything remotely like it), and I LOVE those SNES-era rpgs. Doing this must be pretty daunting considering how huge and complex SNES rpgs tended to be, but those screenshots (and the title) get the style pretty much spot on.

I imagine a game like this must be a scripting nightmare though. Good luck with it!

Kinoko

Er... I'm not bumping, really! I added a new screenshot of a room so it didn't look so ... samey. I'm going to be adding another one that shows a typical dungeon scene (once it's completed).

mousemat

great title screen ;D
good screenshots 2 8)
Oh yer moon walkin'
www.freewebs.com/bkreview/

Anarcho

looks really cool!  it's surprising more people haven't used ags to do rpgs like this...

Darth Mandarb

I love this style ... it's very Zelda-ish, ChronoTrigger, Secret of Mana-ish ... which is they style I had in mind when I did JP & Cosmo!

These screens look great!

The interior shot ... when I first looked at it, I thought the wood beams were like support struts and the purple and orange thing was a path behind them.Ã,  In other words ... it didn't look the the bricks were the wall.Ã,  Then when I saw the pictures/paintings hanging there (and the window) it came together.

I know this isn't the CL ... just wanted to share!

I think these look great!

May I be nosey and ask what the in-game interface looks like?

Mephistophilis

It looks so damn professional you could show this to people and claim it was on a Snes emulator, hell I'd believe you.
Sign Here           Mephistophilis

Kinoko

Darth: Well, when the game's in RPG mode (ie, not a dungeon) it'll pretty much look like it does there. At least for now, I'm still not sure if I'll put a small GUI on screen to show current HP etc. During the dungeon scenes, there will be a GUI like that. You'll also be able to bring up a kind of control GUI to let you see stats, use items, magic, etc. I'll change or add a screenshot showing this and maybe the text windows.

Like I said, it'll be similar to the SNES style RPGs so arrow keys will walk you and certain other keys will be used to interact, run, fight, etc.

Rincewind: Terranigma is one of my two favourite games of all time ^_^ Equal with Breath of Fire II.

Totoro

I don't like RPGs but if its made by Kinoko it must be nice :) What I did not like about older RPGs was the fact that the background story alway appeared to be nothing more than a reason for collecting items and fighting "random encounters". It would be lovely if the story would be important for your whole game! :)

Rincewind

Quote from: Kinoko on Fri 06/08/2004 05:05:00
Rincewind: Terranigma is one of my two favourite games of all time ^_^ Equal with Breath of Fire II.

Ah, blimey - You now have my total and utter respect! :D
I remember borrowing Terranigma from a friend of mine who had bought it when it first came out. He had finished it it like three hours, whereas I had to sit for months, struggling just to get past Bloody Mary... :) Ah, just a really, really good game. The story was perfect, and I loved the way all different events in the game was tied together at the end...
So in other words, if it's just somewhat resembling of Terranigma, I'll like it... ;)

Good luck with it!

R4L

LOOKS AWESOME! nice eye candy! ;) I love RPG's except turn based ones(well, I like Final Fantasy). The fighting style is like SNK's Crystalis for NES. Your characters look just like RPG characters, which is a very big plus. Good luck on this game, and if you do finish it, I will definatly download this!

Kinoko

Quote from: Rincewind on Fri 06/08/2004 21:48:22
Ah, blimey - You now have my total and utter respect! :D
I remember borrowing Terranigma from a friend of mine who had bought it when it first came out. He had finished it it like three hours, whereas I had to sit for months, struggling just to get past Bloody Mary... :)

Ah, me too!! I never had so much trouble with anything in that game as I did with bloody Bloody Mary. It took me AGES to finally be able to beat her, and I had to level up heaps and basically only did it by using one spell (lightening or something like that) over and over until she was dead. I can do it pretty well now but the first time I played that game... she was so god damn difficult. I'm so happy to hear I wasn't the only one.

That game... just blew my mind. Have you played Illusion of Gaia too? I assume you know that's the game that comes before it in the storyline. It's not as good but still great and the tie-ins between the two games are nice.

*ahem* Anyway, I could talk about how much I love that game for hours. I'm trying to put a lot of what I love about Terranigma into Gift of Aldora (without just ripping things... I mean more in terms of the "feel" of the game).

Totoro: Well, games like Terranigma most definitely were very story heavy, and had very big themes that made you think about them well after you'd finished the game. Mine will be similar in that respect - I HOPE the story will be at least slightly involving and will be tied heavily to the game... I can't promise anything, but that's what I shall endeavor to achieve. It depends on what you guys all think after you've played it, really :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk