LAPD(new screenshots)

Started by Blade, Sat 27/11/2004 12:25:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade

Finally I announce my first project and it's still far from being done.

Brief synopsis:
You are Jack Tesco, a detective from homicide squad in Los Angeles. One day you are assigned to investigate a murder of a fellow policeman - a detective from the narcotics division. You find out that his death was ordered by some strange and powerful character known to you only as DM. Trying to uncover a mysterious plot that led to your colleague's death you find obstacles even at your own precinct.

Some screenshots:

Progress:
Story: 90%
Graphics: 30%
Scripting: 10%

Due to some personal problems I have to estimate the release of the game for some time next year.
I'm aming in producing a demo soon. Ã, 
Studies show that 50% of the people do not know they form half of the society.

burakaxx

good luck with the game it's reminds me the police quest series of sierra. They are very good games in their time.Characters is lookin good,but why is the backgrounds so empty??

Totoro

Of course backgrounds look a bit empty, but I don't mind the style. And empty backgrounds ensure a faster progress  ;D
If you can capture at least some of the Police Quest atmosphere, I am really looking forward to this! May I ask, how far you are in the development of the story? Did you just make up the setting or do you already know why the other policeman was killed and how Tesco will find out about it?

Blade

Yes, the story is quite solid. I had much time to invent it. Some BGs are quite empty, but the other I'm working on should be more filled in. 

Khris

One word of advice:
DON'T capture Police Quest's atmosphere!
These games aren't adventures but boring everyday cop life-sims, and they weren't good in their time nor in any time else.
If you need inspiration, play Pleurghburg, if you didn't already.
While I'm at it: Myst is no adventure, too.
Btw: Myst is pronounced exactly like the german word >Mist<, which means cattle poo. Just a coincidence?Ã,  ;)

Ok, ignore the bit about Myst and good luck with finishing your game!

Privateer Puddin'

[kinda offtopic] :O police quest 1 and 2 were awesome and i wont hear a word said against them! [/kinda offtopic]

Darth Mandarb

[offtopic]

I think Police Quest was an aquired taste ... I liked the first one, but couldn't get into any of the others.Ã,  They were a little too technical for my taste.

[/offtopic]

I don't really mind the 'empty' graphics.Ã,  What bugs me is that some aren't so empty, while others are.Ã,  In my opinion, consistency is the key to backgrounds.Ã,  If you're going to make one screen so devoid of details, make them all that way.Ã,  Otherwise the game lacks a cohesive style.

I hope the badguy, "DM" is revealed to be Darth Mandarb!!!Ã,  I kid ;)

Do you have any friends/family/colleagues that are on the job?Ã,  It might lend itself to a little more realistic portrayal of police work.Ã,  Although I wouldn't recommend overdoing the technical stuff ... as I mentioned about PQ it was a little too tedious for my taste.

Good luck on finishing the game.

Blade

No, I didn't ask for any details on police work. I like Police Quest though I remember some technicity. I played Pleurghburg too. And those empty backgrounds are the corridors. You don't get much stuff in a corridor, do you?

Darth Mandarb

Well, by empty I meant 'lack of detail' more than 'lack of objects' ...

While the corridor may lack objects in it, the walls still have details, as do the floors, ceilings, windows, etc.Ã,  Stuff like dirt, cracks, tiles, panelling, beams of light, shadows, hi-lights, locks, door locks, light switches, wires, lights, etc.

The devil is in the details :)

Blade

Oh yes, I do lack detail. In that matter I agree with you and not gonna get it sophisticated later on - that wouldn't match.

Blade

Things are going in the direction of a demo.

hedgefield

Going in the right direction there. I love a good cop/crime story.

Queen Kara

Blue Force is another one to look into if you're a fan of cop games. It's free too.
I'm usually not a fan of cop games
but I sometimes play them anyway 'cause they can be interesting at times.
I haven't played all of the Police Quest games but the one I did play wasn't very fun.
Nice screenies.
Klaatu Verata Niktu?

CoffeeBob

Nice screenies. But as mentioned, they are a bit empty and lack of detail.
The style reminds of PQ1 AGI. Except that these graphics look more SCI'ish. :)
The red car's looking good and carish, but the police cars look kind of squarey and tall. Try googling for police cars for some inspiration.

Blade

Thanks for advice. I already took some work on that cars.

Had a major slowdown for the last two months, but I'm getting back into production now :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk