Where did my footstep sounds go?

Started by Pet Terry, Sun 05/12/2004 20:35:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Pet Terry

Okay, something weird just happened.

In my game I'm having sounds for footsteps and I'm changing the sounds with SetFrameSound(); command when the character steps on different types of ground/floor. Everything was okay until I converted all the .wav sound effects to .ogg. Now some of the footstep sounds can not be heard anymore. All the other converted sound effects are working, but the footstep sounds are not. I tried rebuilding .vox-files but it didn't help.

I'm using AGS v.2.62 on WinXP, if it helps in anyway. Any help would be appreciated.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Make sure than the sound files are played in OGG. I found out that, for some reason, some WAV files turn to silence when compressed to OGG. Try, say, changing those OGG files BACK to WAV and see what happens.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Pumaman

If you try playing the footstep sound manually with a PlaySound command, does it work?

Pet Terry

The files work when I play them in WinAmp. However, I tried them with a PlaySound command and they didn't work. If something went wrong while converting, it's really weird that it happened to 3 of 4 footstep sounds. I'll try converting those files again to see if it helps.

EDIT: I converted the files back to .wav and they worked fine. Then I converted those .wavs back to .ogg, and they didn't work. Mysterious.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Pumaman

That is strange -- looks like AGS's OGG decoder doesn't recognise them for some reason. How about if you try a different conversion tool?

Pet Terry

Ah-ha! I found out what was the problem, I think. The files were too short. I copied and pasted some "empty sound" in the end of those files, and now they all work okay. Earlier the files were about 0.5 seconds long and now they are about 1 second long each.

Thanks for all the help, I'm glad the problem got solved. :)
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

That a fact? Is this some sort of limitation no one was aware of? I mean, sounds have to be at least one second long?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Pumaman

Not that I'm aware of .. probably just one of those strange inconsistencies in the encoder / decoder.

Pet Terry

I checked the length of the sounds again, they were around 0.25 seconds long each at first and now they are from 0.5 seconds to 1 second long. But still, the problem seems to be gone now. It also makes sense why the rest of the sounds worked fine, they were all longer than the footstep sounds.

Also, when I tried the sounds, sometimes I heard them but they were very faint and random.
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Oz

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 05/12/2004 22:32:05
Not that I'm aware of .. probably just one of those strange inconsistencies in the encoder / decoder.

No, actually I've run into this problem too, though I didn't realize what was wrong until I read this thread. I too used very short .ogg samples and they wouldn't play back in the game. Weird.
Diversity is divine!

Pumaman

Hmm, perhaps the OGG decoder that AGS uses doesn't support very short files? A bit strange, if so, but I don't think there's much I can do about it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk