February MAGS

Started by Klaus, Mon 31/01/2005 23:53:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Klaus

What is MAGS?
MAGS is a monthly competition for all amateur adventure game makers. The idea is to use AGS to create a game in under a month, following the rules set by the previous winner.

For more information please visit the Official MAGS Website

Why should I enter MAGS?
We're not here to tell you that you should enter MAGS, but merely allow it as a creative opportunity to help you work to a deadline, improve your skills, and generally as a good kick-start for the new comers (a.k.a n00bies).

MAGS is the perfect opportuninty to make a game, and the wonderful prize is to announce the net month's rules, and all competitiors get the game placed on the MAGS website.

MAGS is meant to be fun and is aimed at everyone, despite their skill. If you have poor art skills work on graphics, and vice-versa, as the voting is based on "favourite" games, and not the most artistic, you may get help for the competiton, but must not get anyone else to do any part of the game for you.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Topic: Hotel

The game must take place in a hotel.

It should be based upon one or two of the following genres:
- Crime
- Horror
- Western
- Sci-Fi

No puzzles should involve any sort of keys. Keyholes are fine.

At least 4 rooms. This can include a bar, reception, and/or any other sort of room which might fit into your hotel.

The main character could be good or bad. At least 3 other characters, and both genders should be represented.

Any resolution.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All entries should be in by February 25th.

Please post a download link of your game entry to this thread, best with a screenshot. Thanks and good luck.

Mats Berglinn

No lockpicks either?

DontTreadOnMe

I take that to mean that the whole game must take place in the hotel.

I said to myself at the end of the last mags that i WOULD take part in the next, I'm not entirely in love with the idea of the whole game taking place there, but I will enter so as to be true to myself. This will also be my first game with AGS.

Thanks - Rich

[edit] What doesn't come across in the post is that i was asking whether it MUST all take place in a hotel.
Seeing as I really shouldn't have to get up at such an ungodly hour as 7am, ill put my watch forward by 5 hours to make me feel better...

Neil Dnuma

Quote from: DontTreadOnMe on Tue 01/02/2005 16:58:24What doesn't come across in the post is that i was asking whether it MUST all take place in a hotel.

The answer is yes. The idea is; since a hotel is neutral ground, more will depend on the characterization and plot to make the game shine. (5DaS does this nicely - strong characters and plot on neutral ground.)

QuoteNo lockpicks either?
Finding ways to open locked doors is probably the first idea popping into many heads when the setting is a hotel. And the first idea is 99% of the time a cliché. If you can avoid it and think up other types of puzzles; then that's great. Look at my zoo game. 80% of it is pure cliché.

QuoteI will enter so as to be true to myself.
That's the spirit! :)

Chicky

*edit*

I had to pull out of this months, social stuff.

DontTreadOnMe

How about swiping key cards (like modern hotels)?

Ill give it a go, don't expect anything amazing. I have come up with a style and basic idea for the game. It will be set in the land of lego (because it gives me some easy to work with characters for animation, a cool style, but most of all alows me to play with the 2 crates of lego i have in the loft)

[edit] I also have a good idea for some horror... taken from a video made by a friend with lego 3 years ago, "MY GOD! LOOK AT HIS ARM... HIS ARM!!! HE HAS NO ARM!!!"

[edit] And now im piddled off cuz i cant find it. That was to be the basis for a whole plot...
Seeing as I really shouldn't have to get up at such an ungodly hour as 7am, ill put my watch forward by 5 hours to make me feel better...

Ozwalled

Can the player character HAVE a key, provided it doesn't have anything to do with solving any puzzle?

Ubel

Now this sounds very interesting. I AM gonna take part in this.Ã,  :D

Chicky

That's the spirit guys! Great rules neil!  :D

Neil Dnuma

QuoteCan the player character HAVE a key, provided it doesn't have anything to do with solving any puzzle?

Sure.

Ishmael

Does it have to be a hotel hotel, or does a little motel type off-town place do?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Neil Dnuma

Quote from: Ishmael on Wed 02/02/2005 10:58:41
Does it have to be a hotel hotel, or does a little motel type off-town place do?

Quotemotel nÃ,  hotel for motorists, with space for parking cars near the rooms.

Yes it'll do.

Ishmael

\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Pelican

Hmmm... sounds interesting. Might have a go at this one. (seeing as I'm probably one of the few people who hasn't entered the ATC  ;D)

SSH

Hmmm, maybe i'll give it a try too

Are areas that are actually outside but really part of the hotel grounds allowed? e.g. Car Park (underground maybe?) Rooftop, Open air pool, Forecourt...

Can we maybe have a little bit outside the hotel as part of an opening/closing cutscene or a flashback?

Ishmael

Quote from: SSH on Thu 03/02/2005 12:48:13Are areas that are actually outside but really part of the hotel grounds allowed? e.g. Car Park (underground maybe?) Rooftop, Open air pool, Forecourt...

Can we maybe have a little bit outside the hotel as part of an opening/closing cutscene or a flashback?

I'd say they're allowed, as 5DaS was referenced, and it had outside areas... but that's just my interpretion of the rule.

Neil Dnuma

Sure, any part of the hotel is allowed... even the outside parts  :)

SSH

What if the keys are not used as keys, but rather:

Spoiler

The player needs to get someone in the car park's attention, and they use their car keys to remotely unlock and lock their car, thus making the car go "beep-beep" and so the person turns around...
[close]

Neil Dnuma

SSH: Neat idea, but it would be "a puzzle where a key is involved", so it's against the rules. You may however call the main character Mr. Key. It could be set in Key Hotel. You can have a woman with a dress made of keys. And so on, just keep the keys out of the puzzles  :)

If anyone else can think of original puzzles involving the use of keys, make up a list and you'll be all set for the eventual "MAGS - Keys only" competition  :=

Maxileen

I'm gonna take part in this month's MAGS, too - but because it's my first adventure I'm still struggling with a few technical problems and I don't know if the story isn't too long to manage it in just four weeks.

But I'll give my best and hope that I can finish it before the deadline :).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk