Game tips!

Started by Estaog, Tue 22/02/2005 15:12:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Estaog

I always seem to start games and never finish them just because they dont seem good anymore. I was looking for some tips on how my next game should be, so i can be sure i will finish it before i start it. I like funny games like ron and adventures of fat man (that style).

Thanks.
Think about the kittens man!

http://members.aol.com/johnk0/godkills.jpg

m0ds

Aye, it's always best to start a game before you finish it!

My advice is, just make a small 5 room game.

Chicky

You need to stop. Think. Pickup up one of your OLD games and carry on with that one. It may not seem as much fun now, but why do you think you started it in the first place?

Maybe it's too much work, if that's so then shorten the damn game. Just remember when making a game, planning is the key... that, and actually keeping to the game.

did any of that actually make sense?

SSH

Do a MAGS game... the time limit means you'll be too busy to get bored with it!

Ishmael

One thing I've tried to follow lately (which has resulted in no new gip threads in over a year):

Plan your game long enough before announceing it. Just to make sure your story will get on, and you are sure you will finish the game.

If you get an idea for a new game, draw the down facing stading sprite of your character, draw a background, add a couple of hotspots, take screeshots and annonce the game, great chances are the thread will end up locked because the project was cancelled.

Write a complete plot, do character desing, do background art, sketches, whatever you can think of. Do not announce the game before you know who is in it, where it is set in (like, a mine, a big metropolis, an airplane, or all of them), what's going to happen (like, a murder, a robbery, the main character getting a letter from a distant friend, which leads them into a quest of some sort). And most of all: what is the goal of the game? And don't leave it at "the main character has to find his brother".

With goal I mean, what will the player actually achieve? If you've played The McReed Case, you know the background story, and I can reveal you what is the goal of that series (I've planned three parts, second of which is currently in production):
Spoiler
To find Micky McReed and to capture or kill the werewolf creature.
[close]

Hope I'm atleast of some help.
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Estaog

Think about the kittens man!

http://members.aol.com/johnk0/godkills.jpg

Gregjazz

You should make a Starcraft game! That'd be cool cause you could just take the art from the game.

Woah. I like that idea so much maybe I'll make it myself. ;D

Sylpher

I have a pretty big problem with quite a few people that treated Tanker extremely unjustly. First of all Geoffkhan, bad play..

Second, the way most of the people that replied to Tanker's Warcraft game either didn't make sense or the little harsh critcism they did give was nothing but poo throwing. I understand ripping art isn't as holy as making your own, but Tanker was making much more of an effort then most when it comes to such style. He broke no rules and you guys who replied in such a crappy manner are straight up assholes and should be ashamed of yourselves.

Have a nice day!

LGM

Right on!

Tanker, in my opinion, I think you need to slow down, take a breath, and think of something you really want to do. Let it brew for awhile, write notes down if you want to. Keep these ideas for yourslef, don't rush to share them with people. Develop them, let them mature.. Crank out some things until you have some solid ground.

Once things fall together, THEN get some advice. Take everything with a grain of salt, but still consider all comments and criticism.

Just take things slow. Don't rush into it, don't blow everything up with hype and excitement.

Just take it slow. Yes. Slow :)
You. Me. Denny's.

MillsJROSS

I think the hardest part for me is just grinding through the game aspects I don't enjoy making, like art. Now I'm no expert on motivating myself, mostly because I don't have a lot of free time anymore...but the fasted I ever developed is when I worked on one thing got bored, worked on something else. Like I'd work on backrounds, then switch to music, then go to scripting, and so on. Usually the change of tasks helped move things along.

Also, the best advice, is to make shorter games and work yourself up. It's like writing books. Most authors don't start writing making a novel, they generally make short stories, and move on up. The same goes for games. Good luck!

-MillsJROSS

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk