The Elevator!

Started by Barbarian, Sun 24/04/2005 23:38:13

Previous topic - Next topic

Barbarian

You wake up alone in some strange elevator. Not remembering how you got there, you try to get out, but soon find that you are "trapped". It's as if someone, or something, is trying to prevent your escape. Are you a prisoner?

Download link: Here!Ã,  2.26 Mb file in ZIP format.

I present the game here in case some of you may have not already seen it yet.
This game was made for the "One Room, One Week" competition, April 2005.
Enjoy!Ã,  ;D
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"
Mongol General: "That is good."

Blade of Rage: www.BladeOfRage.com

Rosie

Very nicely done....It was a challenging game, short but worth the download.Ã,  Thank you and lots of luck to you in your future games.Ã, 

edited by eric: Please stop quoting the entire first post since you are the only other poster and everyone knows what you're talking about.

Traveler

Barbarian, how did you make the character? It looked excellent?

Rosie

Quote from: Rosie on Mon 25/04/2005 01:34:13
Very nicely done....It was a challenging game, short but worth the download.  Thank you and lots of luck to you in your future games. 

edited by eric: Please stop quoting the entire first post since you are the only other poster and everyone knows what you're talking about.
Who is Eric. and what do you mean????????

MrColossal

Sorry to have to post about this in your thread Barbarian:

Rosie, check your Private Messages by clicking here

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?action=pm

Traveler, I believe the character is from Silent Hill.

Barbarian, are you going to make this game longer? And less of a pixel hunt? hehe
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

fivetrickpony

Is this in anyway based on Silent Hill 4 : The Room? Aside from the character being th e same, the background looks similar to the Silent Hill games as well. Not sure how you managed to do that but it's still pretty cool.

Gord10

I loved it :) The graphics are really cool. Giving a terrifing Silent Hill atmosphere. I wonder how you managed using these graphics, too.
But the game would be better if the puzzles weren't so hard, with pixel-hunting. I'd love to see the continuation of The Elevator.  :=
Games are art!
My horror game, Self

Mozesh

Loved it great game, very nice looking too. I wonder how you got them from silent hill.
QuoteTo be continued ??
Lets hope so ;D

Barbarian

Rosie: Thanks for the compliments on the game. Nice to know you found it challenging and worth playing.

Traveler: I "borrowed" the character art from the Silent Hill 4 computer game. It was a somewhat painstakingly slow process, and requiring lots of patience, to "screen capture" the character in the all of right walking poses I needed. Then carefully editing, cleaning-it-up, resizing as needed, gamma/lighting adjustments, synching all of the required frames to line-up together and in the right order to make a somewhat reasonable walking animation for the Up, Down and Left to Right directions. It was quite a lot of work actually. In all, I probably made a couple of hundred screen-captures and sorted through them all to get the various bits-and-pieces that I needed for this game.

MrColossal : Yep, most of the graphics I “grabbed” from Silent Hill 4. I may continue on extending this game idea into a more full adventure, but I wanted to see if there was enough feedback from people, which would let me know if there's enough interest for me to go ahead and work on an extended adventure project like this. I generally try to avoid “pixel hunting” in any games I make, but for a rushed one-week-game, perhaps I made have “broke that rule” a little? But generally, I thought most things that needed to be found or interacted with in this game was easy enough to find with a little exploring and patience. I guess perhaps one of the most tricky thing in this game may have been the finding and getting the “metal strip” item?

FiveTrickPony: Yep, correct again. Silent Hill 4. I recently got it a few weeks back, played it through, and thought it was an awesome game. It gave me lots of cool ideas of how I might go ahead to include some of those elements into an adventure game. So, when the One Room, One Week competition was announced, I thought it might be fun to try to put together this little game using some of the “Silent Hill” elements and themes which was still so fresh in my mind. The elevator background, well, it's also taken from an elevator that you find at one point in the Silent Hill 4 game (in the Hospital). However, a problem with trying to grab screen-captures from Silent Hill 4, is that as the character moves about, the background graphics (as well as the character) and perspective constantly changes and adjusts to “pan” the view with the character movements, so as you might imagine, it's hard to simply just do a direct “screen capture” to make a room like this elevator. In fact, what you see there in my game is made up of about 25 different screen-shots from various spots and angles from within the elevator, and I “spliced and edited”, re-angled, patched-together, etc…  it all together to try and make it seem like one big elevator room, trying to give it sort of a “overhead view” type of perspective. I also used some special effects to help me blend all of the various edits together, and as you see the end results kind of give it an “old creepy elevator” type of feel, which is what I was trying to achieve.

CoolBlue-Gord: Thanks for the positive comments. As you see from some of my answers above, it was a bit tricky, and a fair amount of work, to get all of the graphics together for this game. It's not always an easy task to “screen capture” character sprites and backgrounds from some games. I may yet continue on with this project, make it a more bigger sized adventure. I got lots of good ideas about it. I'll try to avoid puzzles that may seem too hard (such as pixel hunting).

RedRum89: Thank you as well for the feedback. Well, it's nice to know people have enjoyed my “Elevator” game, and may be interested to see more. I just may do that. Maybe my little game will help give you some new inspiration for working on Horror Hospital?

Once again, thanks to everyone for the comments and positive feedback.
Conan: "To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!"

Candle

Very nice , very very nice .
I'm stuck but this is a nice looking game.
Must be a bitch to do a full size game with all the work you had to do to make this one .

Candle

2ma2

It's quite nice, albeit rather fuzzy. You manage to achieve and maintain a rather spooky atmosphere, but that laugh just took it all away IMO. The puzzles are a bit on the odd side aswell, which can be good to make some kind of dream logic nightmare, but I felt I finished the game more out of coincidence than actual puzzle solving (apart from the brick-picking then..).

But it has promise!

Potch

This game is really cool, but I'm stuck.  Can I get a hint?

Spoiler
  I'm assuming I have to pick up the metal strip, but I can't figure out how.  I've tried everything I can think of!
[close]
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

DoorKnobHandle

There are walkthroughs to all those 1 week 1 room games available at aga's page, as far as I know!

Potch

Where is that page?  Sorry to be such a pest.  :)
The hardest thing in this world... is to live in it. (Sarah Michelle Gellar as Buffy Summers in "The Gift")

Barbarian

2ma2: Thanks for the comments. I agree with most of what you mention, but then again, keep in mind, the whole game was "slapped together" from concept to completion in just 1 week.Ã,  ;)Ã, 
If I feel inspired, I may (perhaps in the near future) go on to "re-make" the game, to try and make it have a more improved overall playability and quality, as well as to expand on it to make it a bigger adventure.

Potch: Glad to know people are still downloading and enjoying my little adventure game. Regarding the metal-strip:
Spoiler
It became loose when the elevator shook the first time. Perhaps try to find a way to make the elevator "shake" again, and it may further loosen the metal strip enough so that you can pull it free.
[close]

Potch

Ah yes, before the hints and tips forum got taken down, I had read that tip before.  Problem is, I can't figure out how to do it! 

Barbarian

Quote from: Potch on Mon 02/05/2005 17:29:01
Ah yes, before the hints and tips forum got taken down, I had read that tip before.Ã,  Problem is, I can't figure out how to do it!Ã, 

Okay, warning, direct hint  ;)
Spoiler
Two ways to "shake" the elevator. One way is to Look at the "Display Panel" twice in a row, when it reads "Ready?" the elevator will shake.  Next way is to try to Interact/Use the elevator doors, then you'll hear a sound, then "Talk" to the doors, and the elevator will shake.
[close]
there ya have it.

Potch

Oh thanks! 

Spoiler
  I had made it shake the talking way, but after looking at the display panel once, I didn't bother to look again.   Silly me.  I always have trouble with puzzles where you have to go back and do something you already did. 
[close]

HillBilly

Yay I won. Great game Barbarian, but I think the ending could've been slightly better. But, on the other hand, you only had one week and endings is pretty much the harderst part.  :)

The Book

I just finished the game, and found it quite... nightmarish.

If I'll find myself in simmiliar elevator in tonight's dream, it will be YOUR fault! ;)

And seriously - great atmosphere, good gameplay, and promise of continuation - which made me hungry for more. Decent!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk