Spooks--Wait for iiiit...

Started by The Ivy, Tue 19/07/2005 03:58:11

Previous topic - Next topic

The Ivy

Edit 2/7/06: Many thanks to those of you who replied quickly about the beta testing.Ã,  I've now got my crack team assembled to whip this game into playing shape.Ã,  If everything goes according to plan, everything should be wrapped up within the next five days or so.Ã,  Soon, folks! :)Ã, 

Old stuff: Okay loyal Spooks fans, I've got some good news for you! :)

After some pretty big setbacks, I'm happy to report that I'm now putting the final touches on this game.Ã,  I might have abandoned the whole thing after my hard drive crashed, but the enthusiasm and support I saw in these forums made me want to keep going.Ã,  Hey, you guys saved "Spooks" before you ever played the game.Ã,  :D

I re-did a lot of the old graphics to make the game work better, and I've lengthened the game from "MAGS" to medium-length.Ã,  The whole adventure should now take you several hours to complete, as you explore rooms from the Land of the Dead to places even more bizarre.Ã, 

"Okay, Ms. The Ivy, I think I remember this game, but what's it about again?"

Glad you asked.

You play as Mortia, a little ghoul girl with a wicked sense of humour.Ã,  While spending the day at the "Carnage-Val," an amusement park in the Land of the Dead, she wins a live goldfish in a game of darts.Ã,  At any normal carnival,Ã,  this would be no big deal.Ã,  However, this is the Land of the Dead, where there hasn't been a living creature since, well, an eternity.

Mortia has no idea what the word "alive" means.Ã,  However, she learns that if she doesn't find her goldfish a safe place to be "alive," and soon, it will die.Ã,  Apparently, this is rather unpleasant.Ã, 

So, she names her new pet "Spooks" and sets out to explore the rest of the fairgrounds for a way to save him.Ã,  She must gather clues from the many weird and wild characters she meets, even if this means heckling a cyclops, taking advice from a fallen angel, or bargaining with a 3-headed invisible monster.

Can she put it all together and discover a way to someplace "alive?"Ã,  Sounds like one Spooky adventure.

The game features 6 original (and catchy!) MIDI tracks by The Scorposer, with scripting provided by the marvellous Vince Twelve.

Spooky screenies!

obligatory w00t: w00t!

~The Ivy~

BerserkerTails

Wow, this is looking quite good! For a first game, I must say, I'm impressed. Not many can even post a proper Games in Production post about their first game, let alone have it look as good as this one does.

Good luck, and I hope to play it at the end of the month.
I make music.

Kweepa

I agree, looks fantastic.
I love the B&W style!
Very Tim Burton-ish.

That goldfish looks evil. 10 pixels of pure hate. I'm not sure I want to save it.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

bluber

Looks very good. So I have no chance to win this competition  ;) .

MalleTheRedPhoenix

Your game looks really amazing.
I like the color-combination.
Reminds me a little bit about the good old black-white movies from the 50's.
I think, you will handle this.

bush_monkey

It looks fantastic! Reminds me og the Beetlejuice cartoons...Only nicer  :P

yourhumblecartoonist

Very impressive!  You've got a very imaginative style and concept here, and game just plain looks awesome.  I'm really looking forward to playing this one.

=The=Brat=

sheesh, Even if this doesnt win MAGS it will win something especially since kinda like a proper game.

What a loser.

I think black and white games have a bit more depth, the graphics just seem a bit better in some cases because it truly brings out the textures & form of background, IMHO.

Great looking game.  ;)

LGM

I think if you're going to make a black and white game, the text should be black and white aswell..

Just a thought :-p

Looks great!
You. Me. Denny's.

Darth Mandarb

Ummm ... [ lgm ]?

What are you doing?

MrColossal

There now we can find out!

How did you do this LGM? There are people that bump dead threads and then never come back to answer the question of "why?" now we know! How did you stumble apon this thread?

I ask because maybe there's a way we can avoid that happening in the future.

eric
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

DoorKnobHandle

Quote from: MrColossal on Sun 18/12/2005 18:16:50

How did you do this LGM? How did you stumble apon this thread?

I personally think, that this is the downside of the "search-feature" (yes, tremble! the oh-so great search-feature HAS a downside): People search for certain terms and then find threads, read them and post. But they didn't notice the date. Try it out for yourself - it's very easy to do that mistake. I made it, too. :)

How else could this have happened? I don't think he clicked back 30 pages of threads...

To prevent this in the future, you could add a red "this thread is old" warning next to old thread titles when you are viewing threads, that you have found during a search or something...

Squinky

I think it has more to do with Ivy posting her pic on the picture thread.....but thats just me....

Cool looking game though, and personally I think having colored words let them stick out a bit from the montone look. Also helps distinguishing who is talking.

Corey

OMG every1 owns me in AGS  :-\ i must be a fool...

anyway looks like a really nice that i put on my downloadlist (that only has 3 games now)  ;) ;D
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

Spitfire

Quote from: dkh on Sun 18/12/2005 18:25:22
Quote from: MrColossal on Sun 18/12/2005 18:16:50

How did you do this LGM? How did you stumble apon this thread?

I personally think, that this is the downside of the "search-feature" (yes, tremble! the oh-so great search-feature HAS a downside): People search for certain terms and then find threads, read them and post. But they didn't notice the date. Try it out for yourself - it's very easy to do that mistake. I made it, too. :)

How else could this have happened? I don't think he clicked back 30 pages of threads...

To prevent this in the future, you could add a red "this thread is old" warning next to old thread titles when you are viewing threads, that you have found during a search or something...

I agree, its a stupid rule not being able to recover old threads if the thread is worthwhile.

switcharoo

I agree, its a stupid rule not being able to recover old threads if the thread is worthwhile.

I don't think the mods would have a problem with old threads being posted in if what's being posted is worthwhile.

I'm they would be on your case if you post something unnecessary though,

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Spitfire on Sun 18/12/2005 19:50:00I agree, its a stupid rule not being able to recover old threads if the thread is worthwhile.

So you think it's okay to have old threads which are long since dead (no longer being worked on) being dug up just to say, "wow nice graphics" and then have the first page of this board cluttered up with nothing but old games that aren't being worked on?

Jeeze ... you're right.  I'll change that rule right away.  [ / sarcasm ]

I'm locking this thread now ... Ivy, if you're still working on this and would like to update it, let me know.  I'll unlock it and delete the off-topic posts!

Edit - this thread has been unlocked by request of Ivy

The Ivy

Bumping this thread so can read all about the update.

Mwah!  :-*

~The Ivy~

Mordalles

great news! it looks amazing. cant wait.

"It's a fairy! She's naked! Curse these low-res graphics!" - Duty and Beyond

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk