Soviet Unterzoegersdorf / The Adventure Game / Sector 1

Started by yona-kit, Tue 06/09/2005 16:20:05

Previous topic - Next topic

yona-kit

People of the world, you, who sit in your superficially secure third countries!

Soviet Unterzoegersdorf (pronounced 'oon-taa-tsee-gars-doorf') is the last existing appanage republic of the USSR. The enclave maintains no diplomatic relationship with the surrounding so-called 'Republic of Austria' or with the Fortress 'European Union'. The downfall of her motherland -- the Soviet Union -- in the early 1990s had a particularly bad effect on the country's economic situation.
It is a great challenge to secure survival for the small but proud confederation. External reactionary forces put the country in danger. It's a lack of respect due to a morally corrupted and perhaps even non-existing unity of the peoples. The goal of a glorious future is almost unreachable.
But there are a handful of people who don't give up on a vision for a better tomorrow. Let us tell you the stories of the brave citizens in the beautiful little country of Soviet Unterzoegersdorf.

It's a story that will go into history.

Game for IBM PC.
Windows or Linux/BSD.
Russian with English or German subtitles.
Appealing graphical game interface.
Creative Commons License.

Featuring music by 'Negativland', Jazz Dance Combinat 'Vibemaster', 'Motion Picture Expert Group', 'cccp.at', Joerg Piringer and others.

Website & Download:
http://www.monochrom.at/suz-game/

BoingBoing-article:
http://www.boingboing.net/2005/09/04/monochroms_new_vidga.html

marlamoe

I am trying to figure out why no one has commented on this game.  I downloaded it and have played part of it.  Really this game reminds me of the Devils Shroud.  The puzzles are not quite as hard, but the Devils Shroud was beyond challenging to me.  I hope more people will download this game (especially since I am sure there will come a time that I need hints).  The file size is quite large, but has voice and music.  There are also cutscenes, well at least one that I know of.  With DSL it took me about 10 mins to download.   

Gravity

Interesting looking game. Too bad I'll never get to play it. I don't think anyone with a dail up connection, such as myself, will ever get to play it. 100 + mb's to download, thats just too taxing. Well maybe I'll get to read a review and find out how it plays.

~Grav~

Dave Gilbert

Only played for five minutes, but I LOVE what I see!  Such a unique location, character, and story.  You really captured the atmosphere well.  Please don't do a english voice translation, as it really sounds authentic the way it is.  Reading it with english subtitles is perfect.

I will comment more when I play more, but for now I am very impressed.

yona-kit

thanks to all for your feedback...

@gravity: if you're really interessted in playing the game... there might be an option soon to get the game via mailorder from monochrom.at (comes with 4-colored-cover in a dvd-sleeve) just send a mail to suz-team@monochrom.at
though depending on your location the shipping costs here from vienna might expend the costs for simple downloading it with your phone modem... ;)

@dave: don't worry... "russian with subtitles" ist what it's meant to be and it will stay that way also in the sequels... (subtitles may be available in other languages some time)
anyway, some austrian or american characters that might appear in the sequels will speak german or english of course... ultimate "hyper-realism"... sort of... ;)

mags_don

Just finished the game..enjoyed it and loved how one could  die in certain situations..esp with the dead chickens! ;D took me awhile to figure that one out. :-\. I know you plan on making more and left us with a 'cliffhanger' but were there supposed to be items left over like the coke and fish can. etc..? Great work by the way, liked the realism. Appreciated how you could change the music, liked the atmosphere but kinda thought the virtual area was kinda hokey, out of place..maybe it was just me but anyways, i really did like it. Lookin forward to any sequel. The puzzles were just right, not too hard, not too easy. Would recommend, a GREAT PLAY!!

Elianto

scotch

Very much enjoying this, nice work.
Edit: A tip to everyone - save early, save often.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

QuoteA tip to everyone - save early, save often.

The inability to delete/overwrite saved games make it an unpalatable task...
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

yona-kit

@mags_don: yes, the "virtual area" is completely out of place but thats what it's supposed to be... a spoof on 1980ies computer-mag illustrations and "future romanticism"... ;)

@Rui "Brisby" Pires: you should be able to overwrite the savegames at least when all slots are full... but you're absolutely right, we will definitely try to improve on the savegame interface...

again, thanks for your comments!

Gravity

Hey, I know this is yet anouther non played it yet reply but just bear. How big would the download be if you took out all the music, sound, and voice files? Just wondering because if it would shrink the mb size down considerably then maybe us dial up users could download and play it. Maybe add the extra files as additional downloads for us to get piece by piece when time and patience allowed. Just a thought.

scotch

When the audio is removed and the game compressed it gets down to 34mb, it is a shame you'd only get to play without audio because the music and voice here adds so much to the game... but if that is the way it has to be, ok.
It is still probably more than you'd want to download in one go on dialup, without worrying about errors, perhaps if it is split into parts you could get it... http://scotch.agagames.com/mirror/suzoeg

Haven't finished it yet, a little stuck, but it's wonderful!  One of my favorite AGS games, already.

Mozesh

Downloaded, it's a really nice game and yes without the speech and music it would definatly take away alot of the soviet atmosphere.

yona-kit

@scotch & gravity: splitting the resources for dial-up downloads basically seems to be a good idea... though i really don't like the idea of removing the audio from the game since it's easily half of the game's atmosphere... you would't want to watch a subtitled movie without sound just because it got subtitles... ;)

anyway thanks to scotch for providing the files, but please understand if we don't put the soundless version on our own servers. it would be too tempting to pick the smaller download for a tryout and miss essential parts of the presentation...

again sorry, if the game is not that dial-up friendly. i completely understand that such large downloads are a bit against the "philosophy" of AGS to provide "resource"-friendly games and downloads... anyway, i hope the quality compensates for the rather large download (though still very small compared to demo-downloads of some mainstream-bestseller-games).

btw. as we are permanently collecting feedback on the game we decided to (maybe) release a 1.1 version of it in the next weeks... next to some minor bugfixes, we'll try to optimize on sound-compression, sprite-sizes etc... to provide a more compact download also...

Gravity

First off, thanks to scotch for splitting the game into smaller files. I'll have to download it tomorrow night (as to not have to worry about phone calls, etc) since its alread 5 am here.

I understand that without audio and such the over game is diminished but when you are stuck with such a bad internet connection, a dial up one at that, you learn to live with such diminishes. Oh, a little off topic but, I DO watch a good bit of foriegn movies, with sound off, while just reading the subtitles. Actually I watch a lot of movies, foriegn or not, without sound or subtitles. I'm wierd, what else can I say? :D

Thanks again.

mätzyboy

Quote from: Gravity on Fri 09/09/2005 07:57:18
Hey, I know this is yet anouther non played it yet reply but just bear. How big would the download be if you took out all the music, sound, and voice files? Just wondering because if it would shrink the mb size down considerably then maybe us dial up users could download and play it. Maybe add the extra files as additional downloads for us to get piece by piece when time and patience allowed. Just a thought.

This might be another solution for you...
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?PHPSESSID=9a609add7a9860736fe5af2a5edab41eopic=22321.msg273000#msg273000

MrColossal

That, my friend, was a very amazing game.

Rats off to you! And I can't wait for the next installment.

The subtle joke with Forenso and the hole was one of the best jokes I've seen all year.
"This must be a good time to live in, since Eric bothers to stay here at all"-CJ also: ACHTUNG FRANZ!

Trish

20 odd minutes on DSL. I can only imagine how long it'd take on dial up.  :-\

Trish

I think I found a glitch. When you pick the tin plate bucket/ bucket with water, you see three buckets in your inventory.

Trish

Oh and when you go near the nuclear compost area, your character turns green.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk