Black Flames: Path of Methias (first-playable alpha)

Started by Akumayo, Sun 04/12/2005 06:08:19

Previous topic - Next topic

Akumayo

Black Flames:Ã,  Path of Methias (first-playable alpha):
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Okay, I know it is extreemly buggy already, but all the bugs are fixable eventually.Ã,  This is my RPG, or, at least, my RPG's first playable alpha.Ã,  It currently only barely introduces the storyline, and shows you how the system will work.
Features:
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Bird's eye view
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Turn-based battle system with multiple character interface (currently two playable characters)
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Working shop
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Array of items/weapons
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Ability to share items with party members by clicking on them with the given item, while maintaining that every character has their own inventory.
Bugs you should know about:
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Save/Load gui does NOT work yet, use instead F5 (save) and F7 (load).Ã,  The "quit" button on the save/load gui does work.
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Game does not auto-quit when you reach the end of the demo, you should quit when you receive the teleport option to Avadelphia (you don't have to, but nothing else interesting happens)
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, FOR CHEATING EYES ONLY (pressing F9 will result in healing the current character)
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, Items "lobster", "raw sushi", and "shrimps" are incorrectly sized, and will therefore appear x2 their size (sorry)

Anyway, I would like anyone interested to test it out, and tell me any (other) bugs they find, and their suggestions on the gameplay/battle system.

The story:
Ã,  Ã,  Ã, You play as Methias Brokke, a young man who finds his life devastated after a Galarian attack on his small village.Ã,  (now for things not in the demo):Ã,  Methias, along with Everaldi, a tall, quick-thinking elf, Jadam, a Fepleus (chaos sower), and Christeen, a young Xiasian woman fight against the powers of the Dark Flame god's son, Demal Acknutauk, a demon born into the world of men.Ã,  Will Methias be able to defeat this demon, or will he find it in his best interest to join him?Ã,  You decide.

Story:Ã,  30%
Code Basis:Ã,  91%
Playable:Ã,  14%

Download it here:
http://www.2dadventure.com/ags/blackflamespathofmethiasfirstalpha.zip

Enjoy!Ã,  (I hope)

-Regards, Akumayo
"Power is not a means - it is an end."

scourge

Nikolas

Very interesting and I like the descriptions of enemies you meet.

A little friendly obesrvations if I may:

1. The items are difficult to see in the inventory.
2. I spent five minutes to find where the buttons for the invenotry were. Maybe change color?
3. I don't know if it is me or everybody has the same problem but I couldn't read anything on the cursor. I right clicked which cycled around but I didn't know which was which.
4. The character walks very slowly.

The good things:
1. Even though I spent little time and is only a demo it is apparent that the story is very interesting. A classic RPG.
2. The battle is well thought out and I like the portaits of the people involved.
3. There are actuall puzzles, without pushing/pulling levers and stuff like that,  but the first time I died immediately when I stepped outside the barn (?)
4. You can chose with which weapon you want to attack.

This is going to be nice I think. i'm looking forward...

Akumayo

Ahh, thanks for the replies so far, my that was fast.  About the problems,
-I have absolutely no clue as to why you died coming out of the barn, that is mighty strange
-The inventory screen itself is not finished, it will be modified later, and the buttons moved to a more apparent location.
-About the cursor, were you playing in 320x200, because that would definately have trashed the cursor.  If you weren't, try playing in fullscreen, just to make the text bigger.
-I may speed up the character, I have thought about it a few times.  I'll have to see how big most of the rooms are, and calculate just haw quickly I want him to navigate them.

Keep up the bugs, and I'll keep up the work  :)

-Regards, Akumayo

scourge

The game is awesome! I like how the portraits and how you use them in battles. That's a interesting design for the inventory gui for the weapons :)

I found that the character gets stuck a lot in the bg outside of the barn.

Akumayo

Thanks buloght, I noticed also that the character locks up and makes odd turns outside the barn, I have altered the walkable area a bit, and he seems to sail pretty smoothly now (the problem was with the areas corners, they were boxed instead of rounded, creating odd walking paths)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk