Hogwarts Trio

Started by seaduck, Sat 14/01/2006 19:57:19

Previous topic - Next topic

seaduck

My favourite wizard trio: Harry, Ron and Hermione.

Earliest version 2x

EDIT: Latest version 2x:

MarVelo

IOOOHO!!!!! Harrys face freaks me out!

JRock

There ya go!Ã,  Thats all you needed!Ã,  Looks good!Ã,  (Fixed Harrys crushed face)Ã,  Ã, ;)

Kweepa

Those are beautiful, particularly Harry and Hermione.
Ron's trousers are a bit shapeless and his cheeks are rather pointy.
But I love what you've done with the hands. And Hermione's knees.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Mats Berglinn

Nice sprites of Harry, Ron and Hermione but I've got just two critics: First: Hermione's hair isn't blonde but brown, not darkbrown but sort of like chestnut brown or something like that, I don't remember so well what the tone was(it's not so long since I saw The Goblet of Fire but I don't remember the actual tone of the color). Second: You forgot Harry's boltshaped scar!

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I think you did a really good job with Hermione, but I notice that you use alot of colors that are close in hue.  I made an edit where I reduced some of this and fixed a few other little things to give you some ideas.  The most important thing was making the colors stand out and putting consistent shading.  Once you have both of those in control your sprites will look fantastic. 

ManicMatt

Especially pay close attention to ProgZmax's edit of Harry's glasses.

Your drawings are very nice, but his glasses in your original look like he has very big eyes to me. (Unless something happens to him in the goblet of fire)

Phemar

I'm loving these, very good sprites.

Doesn't Hermione have dark hair though?

Corey

Quote from: Zor on Sun 15/01/2006 07:12:01

Doesn't Hermione have dark hair though?

not for sure... In the movies yes but in the books they don't tell you much about her hair color
Greatest thrill
Not to kill
But to have the prize of the night
Hypocrite
Wannabe friend
13th disciple who betrayed me for nothing!

seaduck

Thanks everyone for great feedback!

My characters are loosely based on Daniel Radcliffe, Emma Watson and Rupert Grint somewhere around The Chamber of Secrets, but they are caricatures, rather than 100% realistic (hence Harry's face).

ProgZmax, lots of great ideas in your paintover, implemented some of them, except for blurring the hands (why?) and I hope you don't mind that I also kept my faces. You did a great job reproducing Harry from the book cover, but for some reason I don't like this style (for one thing, you can't see his eyes).

Hermione's hair indeed is not blond, but rather something like walnut, I tried to fix it.

2x

- adjusted the colour of Hermione's hair
- changed Harry's face
- fixed Ron's cheeks and gave him a collar and a time
- shading and shoe adjustments according to ProgZmax
- made Hermione's and Ron's mouths and Ron's nose better visible

DanClarke

Look great!

There are just a few small adjustments i'd make:

1: hermiones feet seem a little too big in relation to everyone elses
2: I think you should change the white in Harry's glasses to a skin colour, as his eyes look like cartoon eyes in relation to the other characters.
3. I think Ron's left cheek looks a little too fat, shave some pixels off.

Are these for a game? It'd be interesting to see how it develops, good job.

seaduck

Thanks, Dan!

Your observations are spot on, I implemented them all:

I didn't want to let go of the white in Harry's glasses, because I like the cartoony look, but you're right, this way it fits better the other two sprites.

Sorry, at this point I'm only practicing sprite drawing, I'm not working on any game yet.

I would simply love creating a Harry Potter game (once I have enough confidence in myself), but making a fangame always has a great risk of bringing the wrath of the copyright holders upon myself.

The Ivy

I like these a lot.Ã,  They're very lively, something hard to capture in sprites.Ã,  I just have a problem with Ron's hair...it's too red.Ã,  Ã, I've got red hair too, so I can pretend to be an expert in this area :P.Ã,  While the other characters seem to have realistic colours, it looks like Ron was attacked by colourful confetti, which was then set on fire.

Just to give you an idea on the shades you might be looking for, here is a reference picture.Ã,  Hope it's helpful. :-,

seaduck

You're right Ivy,

Ron's hair had too much yellow in it, I adjusted it, however, I will keep it quite red, because it's a "cartoon" afterall, and I'm don't want his hair to look brown or something. Btw, didn't Rowling describe the Weasleys as having "flaming red hair"?Ã,  ;) (+ some tiny fixes)

I saw somebody recommend using stickfigures in a nearby topic, so I'll show you those I used for this picture, in case somebody'd like to see them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk