AGS Linux 2.7 Binaries Available

Started by EvilTypeGuy, Wed 01/06/2005 02:07:29

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilTypeGuy

Moderators, please sticky this topic, unsticky all existing 'AGS Linux' topics if possible.

AGS 2.70 Final (Refresh 2) runtime has been posted the Linux AGS website here:

http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/

A reminder that the Linux version does NOT support plugins or movie playback (except FLC). Allegro IS NOT required to run AGS 2.60 or newer.

A final note is that the ags-setup program has been statically linked to libglade based on user feedback so those of you who were having problems running the setup program shouldn't anymore. AGS Launch will fulfill the role of game browser, installer, and setup program in the future.

Have fun!

strazer

Wow, that was fast! Thanks a lot, works great!

Dusk

Quote from: EvilTypeGuy on Wed 01/06/2005 02:07:29
http://drevil.warpcore.org/ags/

Great! Now trying, it seems to work smoothly. Thanks ;)

... and that you must have Allegro installed on your system to use it: http://alleg.sf.net/

Uh? No more statically linking with allegro as in the latest versions? : /
"ldd ags" doesn't seem to show allegro stuff (or I simply don't recognize it)

Thanks again, bye! :D
D.

EvilTypeGuy

QuoteUh? No more statically linking with allegro as in the latest versions? : /
"ldd ags" doesn't seem to show allegro stuff (or I simply don't recognize it)

Ooops. My bad, that's what I get for copying my old post ;)

Pumaman

simulacra

simulacra

A question: is it possible to add some sort of movie support (other than FLC)? That format really sucks.

EvilTypeGuy

Quote from: simulacra on Fri 01/07/2005 01:40:48
A question: is it possible to add some sort of movie support (other than FLC)? That format really sucks.

Possible? Probably. How? I don't know.

Every library I've found so far that "doesn't suck"(TM), is usually under a GPL license, which means I can't use it. When I have found video playback libraries under a friendly license, they're usually ancient and don't even compile anymore, or they only work on Windows.

edmundito

Apparently, I'm missing a libxml.so file and I can't run ags-setup. Where can I get such file and why is it not mentioned on the linux ags website?
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

HeirOfNorton

I would bet it's a case of a library so common in most distros that it didn't even occur to the developer that some people wouldn't have it. (Like the Visual Basic runtime for windows.)
(Either that, or a really odd bug.)

Anyway, you can get it here.

HoN

EvilTypeGuy

Quote from: netmonkey on Tue 05/07/2005 01:27:52
Apparently, I'm missing a libxml.so file and I can't run ags-setup. Where can I get such file and why is it not mentioned on the linux ags website?

Odd. Well the reason it isn't mentioned is because libxml comes with just about every Linux distribution I know of. I'm rather shocked that it doesn't come with yours. Anyway, you don't technically need ags-setup. You can always edit acsetup.cfg by hand if you're unable to use ags-setup. Most of the necessary settings are auto-detected by Allegro anyway.

edmundito

Weird.

I just installed Fedora Core 4. I wonder if I didn't install a specific package, but it's hard to find them in the RedHat/Fedora system. They really need a search feature if you ask me.

Edit: I do have it installed already! Hmmm... I wonder what is up.
The Tween Module now supports AGS 3.6.0!

EvilTypeGuy

Well, there are two major versions of libxml:

libxml

and

libxml2

libxml is a much older branch but is still actively maintained and distributed with many Linux distributions...

simulacra

Quote from: EvilTypeGuy on Mon 04/07/2005 03:17:42

Possible? Probably. How? I don't know.

Every library I've found so far that "doesn't suck"(TM), is usually under a GPL license, which means I can't use it. When I have found video playback libraries under a friendly license, they're usually ancient and don't even compile anymore, or they only work on Windows.

If you could specify more exactly what you need (I am no programmer), then perhaps I could get my test group to go look for it?

Kweepa

Quote from: EvilTypeGuy on Mon 04/07/2005 03:17:42
Every library I've found so far that "doesn't suck"(TM), is usually under a GPL license, which means I can't use it.

Have you tried ffmpeg? It's LGPL, and up-to-date (for example, supported H.264 before QuickTime).
http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/

I haven't used it myself so there could be some gotchas, but it looks promising.
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

scotch

No gotchas, except that they have not paid for the use of patents on codecs they implement, so they are afraid of being shut down some day.  Google use ffmpeg in their video player I believe, Video LAN player is also based on it.  It's good, and  plays pretty much any avi or wmv without problems or external codecs.

tobiaspb

I'm getting this error with Stargate Adventure running with the Linux ACI version 2.70.864.

Here's the complete readout:

--- start clip ---
Adventure Creator v2.70 Interpreter
Copyright (c) 1999-2001 Chris Jones
ACI version 2.70.864
CD-ROM Audio support enabled.
Pentium Pro CPU detected.
Checking sound inits.
An internal error has occured. Please note down the following information.
If the problem persists, contact Chris Jones.
(ACI version 2.70.864)

Error: Unable to create local script: Runtime error: unresolved import 'pxDrawSprite'
--- end clip ---

I'm getting this error every time I run the game. It starts fine, with sound and then exits at the same place in the intro, or when I press a key to skip the intro.

- Tobias P.B.

Pumaman

I'd guess that's because Stargate Adventure uses a couple of plugins, and the Linux engine doesn't support plugins.

Therefore, the missing 'pxDrawSprite' function should have been provided by one of the plugins.

You'll need to run it on Windows, I'm afraid.

strazer

I asked EvilTypeGuy for an update, here's what he had to say:

Quote from: EvilTypeGuy (via pm)
Still working on it? Sigh. When I have time, which means I'm not really :(

Though I was working on releasing a new version in December with mpeg video playback support. I'm going to try to release binaries for 2.71 soon, and an updated one of 2.56 especially for King's Quest players.

Robert_Kosten

SuSE 9.1 64bit only brings the 64bit /usr/lib64/libxml.so.1 (which has to be manually installed, because they consider it deprecated). Symlinking it into /usr/lib doesn't help, I still get "./ags-setup: error while loading shared libraries: libxml.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory". The xmlsoft.org downloads doesn't offer version 1 anymore.
Gentoo works fine with apprentice after "emerge dev-libs/libxml", but ags can neither initialize my audio hardware ("Insufficient digital voices available", MIDI?), nor finds my aRTs, thus I have no sound there.

Any suggestions?
Eritis sicut deus scientes bonum et malum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk