Another upload thingy: introducing the AGS torrent network

Started by dasjoe, Wed 25/01/2006 18:06:07

Previous topic - Next topic

dasjoe

I have created a nice BitTorrent tracker on http://americangirlscouts.org/torrents, called c|_|.torrent.
You can upload your games there. Use agsuploads (currently broken) or 2dadventure.com for other stuff like screenshots. There's no limit in filesize or downloads.

What is this bittorrent all about anyway? How do I get the files?
Check out Brian's BitTorrent FAQ and Guide.

Some rules:

• Give your Torrents proper names (as "Filename", i will fix it to say "Game name" soon). lolgame!!11 isn't good enough, sorry.
  • Add the Game's description in the appropriate field, preferably with a screenshot. Link images by clicking the button or by typing [.img]http://your_image_goes_here[./img] minus the periods.
  • Wait until your game is uploaded to at least one other person. Or just
  • Seed as long as possible to help distributing the games
and very important:
AGS games or related stuff only. All illegal files will be removed and the uploader will earn a warning or a ban.

I've also set the server to get every uploaded game and store it, so everything will always be available. But only in case you seeded long enough :)

Now, happy sharing.
... it's quite easy being the best.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

HillBilly

Excellent.

Nothing more to add.

EDIT: Wait, wait... Magnificent.

Vince Twelve

I thought about this kind of thing before, but decided that the average AGS game's filesize didn't warrant a torrent. 

However, this would rock for the larger games (for instance: Soviet Vonbananasdorf).  Also, I think it would be a great idea to have torrent collections of the best games, or themed collections (The "Escape from..." collection, The "Hey, I'm in jail with no recollection of my past" collection, etc.). 

Or a single torrent containing all the games nominated for the upcoming AGS awards so that people could play them all without hassle before voting!

Nice work!

SSH

Quote from: Vince Twelve on Thu 26/01/2006 10:55:16
Or a single torrent containing all the games nominated for the upcoming AGS awards so that people could play them all without hassle before voting!

Yeah, I'd been thinking about this, although some games have huge voice or music packs (e.g. Jessica Plunkenstein) which could maybe be optional...

dasjoe

i've disabled uploading temporarily since we're working on some stuff. will be back later today.

raynerape

It would be great if someone, who has (or is willing to amass) a sizable AGS game collection creates gigatorrents of all titles released on Big Blue Cup, perhaps by years, collecting all the good stuff before all those personal websites and pages start disappearing for one reason or another (it happens, trust me). Now that would be something worth dedicating a lot of traffic to support.

dasjoe

way ahead of you :P thats exactly what my script is doing right now.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

So that'd replace the archive on bycicles-for-slugs?
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

Gilbert

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

I'll keep on updating it, then.

...which reminds me, I'm lagging behind. I'll try to upload the newer games ASAP (which isn't all that S, A is isn't P until tomorrow afternoon).

Kneel. Now.

dasjoe

done with importing the games, i've reenabled uploading.

A�rendyll (formerly Yurina)

Yuna: Give me a Y!
Rikku: Give me an R!
Paine: Give me a break...
~Final Fantasy X-2

I've been

raynerape

Quote from: hajo on Thu 26/01/2006 21:25:16
way ahead of you :P thats exactly what my script is doing right now.

Would it be possible for you to also create a gigatorrent with all those game files piled together in a single torrent (shouldn't require separate copy of the files, simply create a torrent and add all the 410+ files that are currently shared together, then spread it that way). I want to have a complete AGS collection but I can't possibly download and launch 410 torrents easily - one torrent would solve this problem.

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

Ok, this started in another thread but belongs here.

In the "Stargate Adventure":
Hajo
Quotei wish people would stop ignoring me :P
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=24747.0Ã, 
(this was because Sektor 13 was having a hard time finding somewhere to upload)
Me
QuoteEr, Hajo, while it's a good solution, not everyone uses torrents. So it's not a clear-cut alternative, and should definitely not be the sole (or maybe even the first) resource of the game uploader.Ã, 
Hajo
Quoterui, i wasn't all too serious. but i don't see why people refuse to use torrents, especially when lacking a good upload site.
i, on the other hand, refuse to download from sites like rapidshare because they annoy me greatly. there's no real reason not to use torrents, there's even a server which is getting every uploaded torrent automatically and acts as a seed

And I thought I should reply here, rather than keep at it on an unrelated thread. :)

Hajo - sorry for taking you so serious, then, and I do understand your refusal to download from rapidshare - believe me, I do, and I hereby pledge never to use it at all lest people should have to suffer it on my behalf and slay me with guilt - but I'd also ask you to understand that using torrents is, again, not that definite a method. To use a practical example: many, many, many people now have switched over to FireFox, and keep on praising it. I have no doubt it's a beauty of a system, but I - and many other users - still use IE. I just like to use it, I've grown used to it, I know how to make my way around it...

I once tried using a torrent program. I was throughly confused and was quick to exit, and have no desire to go through it again. And that's my excuse - other people will have different ones. Besides, I like downloading everything with GetRight.

Sure, a permanent BitTorrent link is fine. But a regular download link is a must - even if it's the bycicle-for-slugs one (which is not really meant to be a regular mirror, just an archive to be used when there are no more links).

Kneel. Now.

raynerape

Quote from: Rui "Shodan" Pires (a divine AI) on Sat 28/01/2006 11:33:32Besides, I like downloading everything with GetRight.

Good news for you then. Update to GetRight 6.0 and it includes an internal bitTorrent client. Just click on a .torrent file, GetRight recognizes it and will download the files as seamingly as if they were normal http/ftp files.

Peter Bear

This is just so great :)
I mirrored my own only game right now !! ( so I am ranked 1St downloaded game lol )

Do you need some mirroring ? I guess I can mirror like 20 Gos on my "torrent :p" server, but what must I choose to mirror ? random files ?

Thank you.

ps : have you tested all the files ? some GAS games link to dead website etc, I guess they can't be in the torrent.

ps2 : for the ones that doesnt like bittorrent, it is well used, not by anyone, but at least you must have it , great MMORPG are know avalaible in bittorrent ONLY ( anarchy online ... Knights online too I guess ), and many game sites provides patches and demo in bittorrent too, to prevent the cost of really huge hosting webservers ...

;D
Not much time for gaming neither creating, but keeping an eye on everything :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk