Character - Soldier with M4

Started by Sektor 13, Sun 30/04/2006 12:57:34

Previous topic - Next topic

Sektor 13

I will made a platform game after i complete my current (and that could be a long time :) ). So I made a soldier with gun, here are two posese + fireing animation.

Any suggestions !?

2x

EDIT 1 (picture added):

2x

King_Crimson

wow, they look great.

just one suggestion: Why not change the position of his feet while shooting a little bit - bend his knee and so on.

DonB

Its looking very nice Sektor, but I woudnt expect less from an artist like you, tho.. i have to say, the shooting animation isnt good, like King already mentioned, the feet have to be different then the first pose, then again, if someone's about to shoot, he will be very alert and sharp, so he will actually stand much more in an action-position, why dont trie to let em kneel down on one knee and shooting, or if you want him to shoot standing, change the pose in a something more sharp position.

Then another detail, the head doesn't seem to give one kick when shooting such a heavy machine like that, why dont you make em blink his eyes while shooting, and have his head notched a bit back when shooting, he cant just keep his head still, thats impossible.

Sektor 13

Thanks for the info, i will add some more body movement while shooting (head, maybe even torso), a little lower pose will be nice addition too, also i will make two aditional different shooting posese, first will be in crouch possition and second standing and aiming about 45 degrees up. As the 3d-platform shooters should have :D.

I was thinking of adding extra "dark" color to his closer arm, as it blends too much with his body !??

DanClarke

looks cool, very FOA. My only crit would be it appears he's leaning his head back, where id imagine his head would be dead straight?

Sektor 13

ok, i added a new picture

What is new:

First (normal standing) pic is a bit fixed (mostly front arm)
I have added second stand pose with a bit more action position (is it enough ?? maybe looks kind a strange !?) added third pose where soldier is aiming on the celling and last, on his knees.

Nacho

Remember: If I am going to be an ass in this thread, is because I feel the quality of the future game by Sektor 13 DESERVES it.  ;)

The position of a soldier walking in commando style is totally different. I can't locate examples, but soldiers walk with the knees together, so, they avoid having higher and lower points (In this way they can aim better), and they are shorter, offering less mass to the possible enemy. I know it goes about all the walkcycle theories we have learnt, and might even look a bit stupid, they look like penguins, but this is the way. I am making an attempt to show it. Wait some mins, please.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

InCreator

I like these, simple and realistic.

But, he looks somewhat like a lazy shooter to me. Like he's not a dedicated fighter but a drunkard trying to hit a duck.

I suggest - in shooting stances, to bend his body a it more forward, eye closer to the gun, like he's really trying to snipe and actually hit something... you know, warfare makes people nervous, and not that relaxed. That should be visible in his stance too. Also, pull his one foot to more back,  more supporting position - so it would seem like he's trying to fight the recoil.

Currently, if the recoil was strong enough, he'd instantly fall onto his back.

Nacho

http://www.elmundo.es/elmundo/2003/graficos/abr/s1/urbana.html

I got it... No matter if you don't understand spanish, click in "comenzar". See the graphics.

InCreator

All I understood from the pictures was that the stance has to be comfortable to keep your head low, and crouch or jump immediately when needed.
That's not standing up straight like sektor's solider, but keeping knees bent and head low.

Well, sounds logical...
Sorry sektor, your solider has just taken a bullet from sniper  :D
Stance from last strip, frame 3 looks most practical to me. If head would be shifted forward a pixel or two.

Nacho

I am working in an update with the "correct" walkcycle. As said, frame 3 is quite close, though...

Nacho

Sorry for the double post, but I wanted this post to come back to the first place of CL, because I have an update.

Look at this ultra-quick example to see what I mean. The only finished part is the torso, I need a lot of work in the legs, I will change the perspective and one f the "contact", specially... but I think it's quite explanative. For me, he looks more commnado.

Edit: Now I see it, and maybe the typical two pixels up and down movement is too much, but one would look terrific.

InCreator

Single shot animation, 4 frames, I left feet unchanged (except that I moved right foot a pixel back)

Doesn't work so well for a burst or automatic fire, though.
But then again... no solider keeps gun near head when autofiring (I suppose it's kept at torso/stomach level). 

Nacho

I am more pleased with my torso... It's mine, of course, why shouldn't I be less pleased?  ::)

I give permission to use it if Sektor allows.

What the hell? I ask to do all the sprites if necessary...   ;D

Sektor 13

Hey thanks guys. I was looking for good pictures of body posture and movement.

Well the game will be "shoot em" platform, when this guy will infiltrate  some base and start shooting things, so i think there will be much action, still i am planing to make some extra "adventure effects" like object using and stuff, so should i made character always walking in "action/prepared" motion or should be there involved casual , relaxed walking, i don't want to draw two different walk styles, maybe i should take something in between ?

Thanks for the offer Farlander althou I like to do draw my own graphics (i hope you are not insulted), actually the thing is that i always like to draw the final graphics myself, don't know why.
But i will surely use your advices (any anybody elses) to improve my graphics.

And this game is very very far away.

Actually I don't know if i will be even able to make platform game with AGS, as i am not that good in coding, I tried some time ago to create "platform game" in AGS and faild :). I will see.

Damien

Here's an edit focused more on the coloring and shadowing:

1. Original sprite
2. Drawn out the palette, some colors already changed from the original version, chose the lightsource to be above the soldier and shaded accordingly, red x represents to color removed in this step
3. More color tweaks, blue lines point to the colors that were merged into one because of their simmilar values
4. Some face tweaks, goggles removed since there is a pair on the helmet, white color removed in this step
5. More color merging and some minor shading and contrast changes
6. Final paintover and it's palette - 9 colors total + transparency

Hope this helps.

sergiocornaga

I think it would look better if the fire was more rapid, and the muzzle flash affected the lighting of the character. My edits not great as I put shadow in as well and it turned out to not be so effective, but it gets the point across.

Nacho

New version... As you can see, I am just "marking" how the animation should look. I think it's quite cool, and IMHO looks quite commandoish. This could be used for indoor levels or something.

Pet Terry

Based on my military training I should be able to give you some tips.

The first one looks okay, nothing wrong with that.

In the second one you could move the rifle a bit more to the right, at the moment the end of the rifle (the one that's against the shoulder) looks like it's not even touching his shoulder, but his arm instead. That's a no-no. Also, if he is supposed to be aiming, move his head down. When you aim, you tilt your head towards the rifle and lift your shoulder a bit so that your head is almost leaning to it. At least according to my technique.

Same things apply to the third one. You might be going for a cautious look in this one, but we were taught that when shooting whilst standing, your legs must stay straight.

The things mentioned above apply to the fourth one.

And to the fifth too. Also, that pose is too high when shooting from your knees. His ass should touch his right foot (basically, he should be sitting on his right foot), and his left elbow should be resting on his left knee.

Quote from: InCreator on Sun 30/04/2006 21:23:23
But then again... no solider keeps gun near head when autofiring (I suppose it's kept at torso/stomach level). 

Haha, you try and hit your enemy Rambo-style, ie. burst mode and gun at stomach level. :P
<SSH> heavy pettering
Screen 7

Sektor 13

thanks guys:

SergioCornaga: Your shooting anim is very nice, i must you something similliar.

Farlander: Nice tactical aproach, if i will make more tactical game, this frames will be took under consideration

Petteri:
So soldiers are "shooting" with straight standing pose. But SWAT or SEALs are a bit crouched isn't that right ? So which tehnique applays for different situations !?
Thanks i will try to change few things.

edit:
Hmm, or i could made soldier to shoot slower when standing, and faster when crouching

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk