King's Quest 2 VGA has been released!

Started by Erpy, Tue 03/12/2002 06:56:28

Previous topic - Next topic

amaranth

RPG guy, have you even downloaded and played the new version of the game? If not, I suggest you do before you criticize it.

It's great that you are creating a 250 mb game, but you may want to consider the end-user. Lots of people are still using dial-up and may not download your game because of the sheer size.  

And as others have mentioned, you should probably release something before trying to set a standard. Not to be sour or anything, but there are tons of people here who start games and never finish them. If you are only 10% done, who can be sure if you will ever finish?
Like RPGs? Play Ahriman's Prophecy!!
www.amaranthia.com

Sylpher

Considering Kings Quest 2 is my favorite adventure game of all time (don't ask) I figured I would give my opinion on the remake. Right off the bat I have to say the game was amazing. The time, work and dedication that went into it is to be comended to the highest level of comendability. This is easily one of the highest quality Ags games and a fine adventure game as well.

About the changes.

Overall I feel the game was changed for the better. I felt the characters and storyline was enhanced a great deal at the sacrafice of very little. Some parts I did not agree on but I think it just really comes down to how I personally saw some characters or scenes. Considering what [Daniel]? had to work with I will give it a job well done.

Graphics/Sound/So on...

Everything down to nearly every action being animated rocked. It is a good thing Tierra emphisiezed this game is in no way affiliated with Sierra cause the quality would have easily confused many. Thankfully I have broadband so I got the music pack and it is well worth it. Though honestly my favorite sound in the game is the sound when you died and the death sequence did a sorta goofy turn at the end of the 'song' I was tickled pink (For real) to hear it again and in quality sound (Pc speakers I love you but I hate you.)

Finally, I think (or at least hope) Tierra has barely scraped the surface on what they can do. I only wish I could hear the response from those on the original team for Kq2 when they play this. (And I am sure they will).

Timosity

Quote from: LGM on Mon 09/12/2002 00:07:51Great game!  (Another gripe... The castle path was REALLY annoying.. It was almost impossible at one point..

There is a way around this problem, one of the only things in the game that is identical to the original.
Spoiler
eat the sugar cube, You don't lose the item either so you can use it numerous times
[close]

The RPG Creator, anyone can make a game that is 250 megs, but people won't download it cause the size is too big, even if they have a fast connection. You need it to be high quality and have some sort of following before you release something like that. Have you got a website? you'll need one to promote a game like that, and a host that will let you have large files to download, and a fair bit of space. Then you can show people what you've done so far, with some screenshots, text about the game, downloads for small demos you may release along the way. Otherwise no one will take you seriously. You can't Just release something and hope people will like it. You need to build their suspence for something like that.

Are you going to have a 240mb movie intro or something.

I wouldn't go around bragging about how big the file size of your game is, I'm sure if most people made a remake of the remake of KQ2vga, they would have a bigger file size than the Tierra team. Keeping a game to the smallest file size possible is a skill.

I also notice you haven't replied to anyones post, why not give us something to look at, maybe some screen shots or something, just to get us interested, who knows maybe you're telling the truth???

I played The original KQ2 today, it was short and easy compared to the new version, but i had to do it just to remember the game.

Dave Gilbert

G'day,

I just wanted to jump on the Tierra worship wagon and fawn pathetically over this incredible game.  WOW.   Holy fluffernutters on TOAST.  What are you trying to do?  Make the rest of us look bad?  :)

Your work here is amazing - not only have you made a great looking and fun game, but you have managed to stay true to the original KQ spirit.

Bravo!  This game is going to kick royal butt at the next AGS awards, I am sure.

Cheers,

-Dave

Relight

And the swamp area should've been better.. Instead of having to go through the whole maze again.. It should be instant both ways...)

Yeah, not a bad idea - but you only have to go back once and it's not that long of a path.  Sierra has done worse.

Finally, I think (or at least hope) Tierra has barely scraped the surface on what they can do. I only wish I could hear the response from those on the original team for Kq2 when they play this.

I'm with you Sylpher.  Check out this thread on the Tierra forum by the way, bottom post is most pertinent, read the others if you're inclined!

Scummbuddy

Haven't had time to download the game, but knowing this game will probably clean up on the awards and hog all the glory, ;D, I think I'll wait a little longer to release my big game.
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
- No, I mean it's really STUCK. Like adventure-game stuck.
-Hoagie from DOTT

2ma2

JEsus F Christ! Relight's back!

Oh.. and something about the game aswell I presume ;)

Seriously, this is one hell of a kickass product. HOwever, I've havn't had time to play about 15 minutes maximum, but what I've seen, I've loved. Still, it sure isn't KQ2, it stand out like a completely new game with a new story, just about the same locations.

Too bad you didn't remove the biggest of flaws, namely the walking deads ;)

Anyways, it sure is nice, and a shitload of effort into making an interesting story. Graphics aren't superb, but they're Sierra like and I presume that's the aim. However, they're hugely improved in comparision to KQ1VGA. Also, the walkanimations are a bit quirky, BUT they're quirky in the true Sierra way, which makes this very much like a Sierra product. Yay say I :)..

Havn't heard the mp3's, but the music works quite well. THe start rythms we're funky but I guess that's due to the midifiles.

It's an all in all good ol' adventure game as it was in it's pre 90's pride. I love it ALOT, and it has inspired me to work more with lowres :)

It would have been nice to see what you could accomplish with your own designs. May we expect an unique Tierra release in the future (nudge nudge)

5 thumbs up! :D

AGA

2ma2: there's only one walking dead in all the game...

Esseb

Finished it yesterday. It's simply marvellous. 10 thumbs up! :)

2ma2

There was only one walking dead in PD aswell, but it's still annoying ;) I like games that you can die in, but not walk dead (even IF the chance is less than winning the lottery).

It's a principle :)

Barcik

I have always been wondering. Why don't you guys in Tierra take a more active part in the community. I am a newb here after all, but nevertheless in the few months of being here I haven't seen you posting in the forums or chatting in the IRC channel. Why is that?
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

2ma2

They're usually around the tech forum, nagging Chris about odd bugs and system limits only they can encounter/be hindered by (except for qfg4,5, if I recall the ezboard days correctly :)). Otherwise, the fans keep 'em busy on their own forum. You can catch them there..

Scummbuddy

They haven't been around for
A.  They too have lives, believe it or not.
B.  They've been super busy making this super game.
C.  What makes you think they havent been on the forums and such, they are staying annonymous so they do walk amongst us...

Dooo Doo DOoo dooo
- Oh great, I'm stuck in colonial times, tentacles are taking over the world, and now the toilets backing up.
-Hoagie from DOTT

The RPG Creator.

Look, I'm not saying this game sucks.
I'm sure it will be awesome, espeically if they changed it from the shitty original.

But I do think their remake of part one was boring...but that's not their fault, unless they were trying to make a different game than kings quest 1.

My favorite in the whole series is Part 6 no question. Part 5 was cool, a little too hard though. Part 6 was much easier, but still a great challenge. Part 4 was great, and part 3 was pretty good. Parts 1 and 2 sucked, and I have yet to still play parts 7 & 8.

My game DOES exist, and it WILL be uploaded, rest assured. I don't want to waste time tonight arguing with you about this. I could prove my case, but like one of you mentioned, that would be better done with screenshots and a demo.

I know this game will be released for one major reason. Fate. It is fate to have the biggest record breaking games coming to the internet, from me, The RPG Creator.

Just goto any rm2k website and ask about me. I'm famous for making my 1,000 hour masterpiece demo. (already finished) The full version will take over 10,000 hours to master. Ask anyone who's played. They'll tell ya how long it is. Just one puzzle in my game will take you days to finish!

Right now my demo is almost 1 GIG in size with unbelievable statistics. Idiots won't even begin to understand how anyone could make a game so huge, but those that can think for themselves, will.

And to whoever that semi-intelligent (but not too intelligent) person was that mentioned "Making a demosize that's small is a skill", well you're right, but a easy one. I already watered my demo down to the smallest possible size, due to low hard disk space. And NO, I don't have a 250 meg AVI file in it. But my game will have over 200 maps, lots of different wav and midi files, etc.

But what I do to keep it at the smallest possible size, is I convert all the WAV files to the lowest quality and they still sound fine.
That's because in my 1 GIG demo, there are over 10,000 songs!

Now, I am also a DJ, so a lot of the songs are original, made by me. In fact, I also have the record for the fastest song ever made. And I also make the most professional and suckcore songs in the fastest amount of time. It takes me 2 minutes tops from start to finish to make a good song.

My fastest song ever is 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 BPM (beats per minute for you old farts)

Now, I also have songs that are more hardcore than that. That's so fast that it just sounds like a bunch of noise...but what you are really hearing are so many beats per minute, that there is no name of a number to calculate it. (that's why i had to write it out)

Unfortunately, some idiot deleted my website with all my music on it. So, you'll have to wait until the game is released to hear my stuff.

They just did this like an hour ago too.
My address WAS www.besonic.com/djasstissue

Maybe it will work sometime, but I am getting an error.

WARNING- Site is not for anyone under the age of 40

The RPG Creator

[edited to fix screen width, please don't do that]

Scummbuddy

the webpage seems to be down, and if it isnt too much trouble could you edit your last post and add some spaces between some of the 9's to bring the field width down.
-Hoagie from DOTT

The RPG Creator.

Sorry, about that. I had no idea it would do that.
I can't edit though because when I posted the message I was not logged in

And yea, I beleieve the worst...my site is probably history...but I still got a laugh out of it, because
what this really means is that I am too hardcore for Besonic and sites like that.

I was also banned from mp3.com

Do you think it was because I recently had my band name changed from "dj ass tissue" to "dj fucking ass tissue?"

Erpy

I checked out some RM2K-sites (for those of you who are unaware; rm2k was originally a product from a commercial company that was never released outside of Japan until someone ripped it, translated it and distributed it under the name rm2k.) and most games I found there were pretty short and small. (size was usually smaller than 3 MB with a few 10 or 20 MB exceptions) I don't know what username you're using there, but if your claim was not some sort of joke your game or demo would stand out like a diamond in the rough. I couldn't find any trace of your uber-project however. Are you sure you're not blowing things out of proportions? Your claims are so big they're hard to believe. Who would WANT to solve a puzzle that takes a day to complete?

Barcik

Have you ever heard about wasting game hours? For example, the new RPG Divine Divinity, promises over 200 hours of gameplay, and it does give you that huge amount. But, most of it is walking and walking and walking and walking. You think that just the fact that you will do a long game will give you greatness. It won't. Make a good game, and than we'll talk. And still do not beleive you.
Currently Working On: Monkey Island 1.5

The RPG Creator.

Erpy, my game is true (Let me clear up that my game is not a joke, but if I seem to be rude, it's all just in fun. Don't take any insults seriously. I just love to have flame wars! I'm a natural troll now, so Ban me if you please, because it'll happen eventually anyway.
On with your answers. This is all true now, no jokes.

I make my game long and challenging for those who wish to play it. (Geniuses like myself)
The very hard or nearly impossible puzzles are usually side quests, which means the player does
not have to complete it to finish the game. But, people like me, will love it!

Who enjoyed Lufia 2's 99 floor ancient cave system?
I loved it, and so I decided to put a 200 floor dungeon in my game.
It's even better than Lufia 2's I think. (for those that don't know, "lufia" is a great rpg series for snes)
It consists of a 100 floor cave and a 100 floor tower that you must complete all at once, or you don't get the
master treasure.  Also there are many innovative events in the dungeon to keep you busy. For instance, there is a original "pass system" I mmade up which requires the player to find the pass to get to the next floor. That's in the 100 floor tower. Another innovative thing in the tower, is at least one boss fight on each floor! There's also towns, npcs, and plenty of other surprises awaiting you
in this awesome rpg! (I'm still in the process of making it. That's why you could not find it anywhere)
I am ready to realease my demo, but there's a major problem...I don't have a fast conncection which makes it
impossible for me to upload the demo which is currently almost a GIG in size.

I'll posy some "features" of the game in a minute.
Now erpy, you're acting like you've never heard of rm2k...is this true?
If it is, that would explain why you don't know that it's 100% legal.
The reason being ASCII (creators of rpg maker) has not asked Don Miguel
(translator of rpg maker) to take the links down from his site. There are certain things you
cannot do, such as sell your games without the permission of ASCII, and you cannot take out their splash
logo from the beginning of your game, but you can change it. (Read help file for more info)

Anyone who doesn't know about rm2k....you're missing out.
It's definitly the easiest and most powerful game creation tool on the net.
It's not limited to RPG's either. Someone did a perfect remake of Tetris with rm2k for example.

The RPG Creator

Hey, I'm logged in now.
Sorry again for making all this so hard to read.

Anyway, here's the status of my demo for rm2k right now.
I won't give the status of my AGS game, yet....but I can say this...
it's already pushing 75 maps!

Here are my RPG MAKER 2000 features of my up coming RPG "Fantasy Quest"

nnovative and Original Features of my up and coming RPG,  (All of the stuff here is 100% true as you will see when you play the game. Pretty much everything on this list is innovative and has never been done before in history of video game making.)

"Features of Fantasy Quest"

0. The largest Rm2k game on the net. In fact, it is larger than all of them combined!! I downloaded every Rm2k game I could find, including all demos. I have over 300 rm2k games, that equal about 722 MEGS total, and that's including almost 200 megs of RTP.exe files!! So, my game is currently 821,989,654 bytes!!!! So, that tops every game on the net...COMBINED! I am truly a wonder...or maybe you guys are just idiots...read on.
1. Over 1,000 hours of gameplay time, minimum. (Average 5,000-10,000)
2. A 100 Floor INN (20% done)
3. A 100 Floor Cave (90% done)
4. A 100 Floor Tower (33% done)
5. An original CBS (1% done)
6. An original menu system (0% done)
7. Over 11,000 different Monsters to do battle with. (each with their own personality)(50% done)
8. Over 30,000 different possible monster parties to run into! (30% done)
9. Over 4,000 different chipsets will be used. (25% done)
10. Different music on just about every map.
11. Over 4,500 maps! (estimated at game finish, about 500 maps so far)
12. An average of about 50 events per map!!
13. Over 150 bosses to do battle with in just one tower!
14. Countless caves, towers, towns and awesome areas to explore.
15. Many different worlds and time zones, to travel through.
16. A complex (real life like) day-night system.
17. A game timer, so you can track how long you've been playing for.
18. Over 7,000 different music tracks in the game!! (25% done)
19. About 100 of the songs are original made by me, The RPG Creator.
20. There is different boss battle music for each boss battle!
21. Countless original maps and events made by ME..for YOU to have fun!
22. A McDonalds and other Real Life Events are all over.
23. The drug free den, hiphop hotel, and smoke shop are 3 to mention!
24. Over 5,000 different possible items to get! (10% done)
25. Over 150 Bonus side quests to complete if you wish! (15% done)
26. A lot of mini-games if you get bored with the RPG (Highly Unlikely)
27. An UNBELIEVABLE story, like you've never heard before! Beats FF4!
28. Lots of Characters from your favorite SNES games, for Nostalgia.
29. Life-Saving Info in the game!
30. A 10x900 SUPER Race map!!
31. A house of Crazed Events, with all of the bad stuff in one room!
32. A 500x500 map in the 200 floor dungeon!! (100% done)
33. Original Puzzles, made by me.
34. A jumping system. (100% done)
35. A door system, similiar to the Dragon Quest Series.
36. A Materia System similiar to that of FF7.
37. Over 2500 different Panaramas! (Cool Backgrounds)
38. Over 5,000 different Charsets! (Characters, objects, NPC's, etc.)
39. Over 3,000 different Backdrops! (battle backgrounds)
40. Over 3,000 different Animations!
41. Over 5,000 different Magic Spells!
42. A Job and Ability System! (kinda like FFV)(0% done)
43. In addition to the CBS, there is also an Adventure Battle System.(10% done)
44. A 500x500 Town!!(100% done)
45. A 900X900 Cave!!(100% done)
46. Puzzles that will boggle anyone's mind!! (10% done)
47. Lots of Spoofs and Funny Jokes.
48. Lots of Voices are dubbed in with the text, with impersonations!
49. Professional, yet extrememly long, fun, and laid-back to play.
50. There will be NO BUGS. It has been tested a lot OTIMES. Very addictive.
51. There's something in it for everyone.
52. The most challenging game ever made. Period.
53. The longest game ever made...and quite possibly the most fun.
54. Lots of Real-Life mixed with Fantasy...Perfect for anyone, almost.
55. Unbelieavble Replay value, due to different paths the game takes ETC.
56. Awesome and Original death scenes of all kinds.
57. The game features 1d, 2d, and 3d graphics!
58. Quite possibly the first game is history to do Feature #57!
59. The game also Features Real-Life like Virtual Reality Graphics!
60. Over 100 attributes and Conditions!!
61. And MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH MORE!!!!!!!! (Way too much to list here, Jabronies)

Download your Copy of the demo for Free, today. This game will always be free, because I hate money.  (DEMO IS NOT ONLINE YET AND WILL NOT BE UNTIL I GET ACCESS TO CABLE)The demo alone is almost 1 GIG, so you must have a fast connection in order to download it. Sorry, but the longest game ever made has to be big in size. I watered it down as much as possible, because even my own hard drive is not big enough to fit the full high-quality game. What I did was convert all the WAV files into the shittiest possible quality, but that's OK, because I love suckcore anyway, and I'm sure you idiots will too.

Have fun!

(Keep in mind...this is only the demo, but it's about 25% complete with at least a thousand hours of gamplay time to master.  By the time you beat this (if you ever do)  The full version should be released.  It won't be much bigger in size, since i already imported almost everything i plan to use....unless I end up making a 100,000 hour game!!!!!!

The RPG Creator

PS- Anyone who thinks it takes more time to make an RPG than it does to play it....think again.
With the technologies available to us today,(like rpg maker) we are able to very quiclkly create very long and enjoyable games. I've shared my secret on how to do this already.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk