need help with female character

Started by Shade, Tue 30/05/2006 19:59:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Shade

well this is my first female character i ever made. i am quite happy with the front view but the side view doesn't really fit to it. anyway heres the sprite.

x1: x2:

please tell me what i can improve. thanks.

Spongebob_Nopants

She looks a bit.....out of proportion. Is she a body builder? lol I have never seen a girl with shoulders like that....shoulders are curved, they arent straight. And from the side view she looks anorexic.

Exorph

Yeah, she's like the skinniest thing I've ever seen. If it's done on purpose you should still give her ribs.

Haddas

What? You like... FATTIES? (Me hopes someone gets the obscure joke/reference ::))

lo_res_man

this is man, this is woman, the proportion of your sprite, look more to me like man then woman, especially the broad shoulder. the face is pretty good though.
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

Spongebob_Nopants

Oh that poor man lol  ;D  ;) the person who drew that was just evil!. i mean lo_res_man's picture btw haha.

Anym

Well, we wouldn't want to intimidate the aliens, would we? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_plaque
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.

Spongebob_Nopants

but we wouldnt want them to mock us either lol

n3tgraph

he shade,

for a first character is pretty good!!

But as said, you should look at the proportions. If you look at the posted anatomy of the female drawing, you can see that the legs are just as long as the torso and head together. Try to change that in your character too!

Besides that, I must say she is kinda skinny. It looks like she just sniffed 2 pounds of coke :P just kiddin.

Try to make her look more female, the shoulders for example are a bit too wide and the legs, arms and belly are very skinny. Women should be nice and juicy in the legs! Especially the upper part!Ã,  8)

Da vinci made a nice picture of the proportions:
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Kweepa

I'd wager a large sum of cash that that's not by Leonardo, mostly because it's not very good. :=
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Maltjik

It is not only fat your lady lacks from the side, but also internal organs and muscles. Good face.
Quick google on "woman side":

This girl is perhaps not skinny but she has little to no excess flab. She looks healthy.
I hate signatures. Signatures are stupid.

Shade

first of all thanks for the replies.
at first i was shocked as i read the posts because i thought i had to decipher "the da vinci code" but i think i can skip this stepÃ,  ;)
and who needs internal organs and muscles? oh well... ;)
ok i try to follow your suggestions and i will give my best.
thanks again.

n3tgraph

Quote from: SteveMcCrea on Tue 30/05/2006 21:52:15
I'd wager a large sum of cash that that's not by Leonardo, mostly because it's not very good. :=

Could be :P
I found it on a site with another drawing of leo, so I thought, maybe this is one of his quick sketches :)

Anyhow, it doesn't matter who drew it... it's about proportions right?  :=
* N3TGraph airguitars!

Shade

ok heres the new version:

x1: x2:

changed the proportions and shading a bit. how is it now?

Exorph

She still looks extremely skinny, and she doesn't have any ribs.
(And this might just be me, but isn'yt she skinnier in the front view than from the back?)
And she looks either extremely worn out or as if she has the stance of an neanderthal in the front view..

But it's better.

Renal Shutdown

She's got monkey arms.

Shade:
What sort of feel are you going for on this? Is it cartoony or realistic or very realistic?
Also, if I were you, I'd ditch those poses in favor of a 3/4 body view.  Front and side poses are ugly even in real life, and they're not really necessary.
"Don't get defensive, since you have nothing with which to defend yourself." - DaveGilbert

Mikko

I made a quick fix for the shoulder area, that I think the others have tried to point out also.

The problem is that her shoulders are like she was a lumberjack. If she is supposed to be skinny you need to move those arms closer to body.

I also second what Spleen suggested about changing the perspective, but that might be a lot of work.

She looks nice and needs just a bit of human anatomy to be gorgeous. Good work.

Shade

thanks for your suggestions and thanks for your "quick fix" Mikko! she really looks better now.
i tried to make a 3/4 body view but i don't have any experience with this so please tell me how it looks.

x1:
x2:

El Drey

Some quick crits:
- try to put her feet together, to find an elegant pose which is probably more feminine
- women tend to bring their elbows closer to their body than their wrists, also in benefit of elegancy
- it wouldn't hurt to stretch the neck a little, but I dunno, maybe that's just my style.
- is she supposed to be skinny? 'Cause her shoulder bones (don't know the proper word) seem to stick out... I know models these days lose weight by sniffin' coke, but really beautiful women have nuth'n too much, nuth'n too less
- try to relax the pose a little, for example: bring a more curvy line in the side view. It's like they say on the Polykarbon tutorials: think of women, think curvy, curvy, curvy!

These are just my impressions, you've made awesome progress with this sprite overall.

I'll try to post animage to show what I mean as soon as I get the time...
And I'm also in favor of 3/4 poses instead of front/side poses. But that's completely up to you.

Keep up the good work!

El Drey.

seaduck

Well.. drawing humans is not very easy - you still need to work on the anatomy

- she is way too "narrow" considering her height
- the waist is too low
- needs more feminine shapes, all her body parts are too long (again in relation to the body surface) and thin
- needs a more dynamic pose
- suggestion: less saturated colors are better as background

Since the problem is anatomy, painting-over wouldn't help much, so I rather tried to redraw it from scratch. I'm not very good at drawing humans, so I re-used a stick-figure from my older sprite for the pose (which was an alien; I just gave it more human proportions).

I don't claim it's very good.. I just wanted to have some fun - and possibly give you some inspiration.

The reason why my sprite is smaller and doesn't have shoes is... that I'm lazyÃ,  :P

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk