TEMPLATE: MegaVerb GUI

Started by Radiant, Fri 30/06/2006 01:09:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Do you want to design a game that gives the player more options?
Do you feel restricted by the Sierra-like four-button command interface?
Do you think that even the nine-button Lucasarts layout is not enough?

Then you should try the new MegaVerb GUI.

* Collapsible command bar allows for up to forty verbs and forty items
* Drag and drop to deposit the GUI in any screen corner
* Rearrange verbs and items on the GUI by dragging them around
* Use right mouse button as a shortcut for a 'default' verb
* Keyboard support both for selecting verbs and items
* Automatically generated standard responses
* Supports both 320x200 and 320x240 resolutions, tweakable for high res
* Comes with a free Cuppit

Download here (Requires AGS v2.72 RC 2a or higher)

Ghost

Say, does this system actually allow you to create commands like PULL s.th. BEHIND s.th?

it looks a shrewd idea but it does have some appeal to someone like me whose first gaming experience were Infocom's interactive fiction masterpieces.
A bit too much perhaps- i guess it's quite a tiresome task to provide unhandled_event lines for all possible combinations.

I'll give it a try, if only for the Cuppit  ;)

Radiant

Quote from: Ghost on Fri 30/06/2006 14:40:41
Say, does this system actually allow you to create commands like PULL s.th. BEHIND s.th?
Yes.

A bit too much perhaps- i guess it's quite a tiresome task to provide unhandled_event lines for all possible combinations.
Ah, but you don't have to. You can set a default for "pull" to read "I cannot move it" or something, and it will automatically respond that way whenever you haven't provided a better answer. Most Lucas games work similarly.

Ali

Just a thought. Would it be possible to define the availability of verbs based on the objects/hotspots clicked with this template?
As in Return to Zork, where you could look at everything, but could cut string and open containers.

Radiant

With this template, not really, since it uses a verb list system (you click on a verb, then on the hotspot to activate).

What you describe is more like a verb coin system (you click on a hotspot, then a list appears and you click on the verb to activate).

Personally I don't really like verb coins, but that may be because I've played a few that were just annoying to control (click, hold, drag to a precise spot, release... argh)

BunnyMilk

Well I downloaded it to try it out but I'm getting an error:

Error Loading Game: Inconsistent Data Files (scm)

I don't know what this means but all I did was start a new game using the template so...well...I don't know.

I use AGS v2.71.
Love x

strazer

AGS v2.71 is the latest stable version. Radiant used a beta version to create this. You can get it here in a Technical Forum sticky.

jasonjkay

Sounds great, i'll add it to my webpage soon.
http://www.americangirlscouts.org/agsresources/ - Mods, plugins and templates.

Ghost

It's sweet. Overwhelming at first and indeed a bit tricky to set up, but heck, it offers a lot of possibilities. neat job.

and the cuppit's cute  :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk