Sydney Finds Employment

Started by iSTVAN, Sat 14/10/2006 06:18:45

Previous topic - Next topic

iSTVAN

“Sydney Claywood wakes in his alley one day to discover a new policy set in place by a joint venture between the political parties, churches and big businesses to rid the streets of homelessness and unemployment. There solution is a ‘final solution,' of sorts.

Sydney decides that the only way to save himself and his friends is to go directly to the heart of the plan, the CBD, and argue his case. However, in the back of Syd's mind is the constant idea that ‘Maybe I could, you know, just find a REAL job.”

Hi, I'm a pixel artist over at PJ, and I frequently create hand drawn cartoons that I post on my blog . I decided to create a game that features one of my characters, a homeless man named Sydney Claywood. This is my first outing as an adventure game maker, but I'm getting a bit of advice from buloght and bernie on the coding front. I also have Pixel Blink, a fellow PJ admin, creating an original score for the game. I'm hoping people will enjoy my efforts to bring them a fun and humorous adventure.

Here's some screen grabs of the game so far:

And here's a promotional poster I drew for the game:

Hope you like it so far- feedback is a plus!

Story_____________________100%
Puzzles___________________100%
Background graphics__________100%
Character graphics____________95%
Coding____________________50%
Music and sound______________0%

gypsysnail

iSTVAN, that looks an excellent game! I am into the issue of homelessness and your game is a kinda a good way of making people aware of the issue plus it looks like a lot of fun. Keep up the work I will be looking to getting that game once its made :) Cheers
Believe in afterlife! It's true in a metamorphical way ;)
Ken & Roberta - my inspiration!! 20 years.
U are what you love doing and passionate about - keep up what you love most.

Petra

Hi iSTVAN,

Have just added your game to my list of the "Can't wait to play" games ;D

Really like your cartoon style and looking forward to find your game in the completed games announcements.

Nice screenies so far, keep it up!!

Nikolas

Apart from the looks of the game and screenies which are really great, what makes me most happy is that for once in the production forum:

i. The thread is very well made and carefully planned.
ii. The creator of the thread (iSTVAN) has read the forum rules obviously
iii. The announcement is not done early but on the perfect timing.
iv. The game is almost near completion (apart from the coding part, where Buloght will be of great assistance I'm sure, since he's a coder himself ;), and music where there is someone already working on the original score which is GREAT!)

Anyways, to cut down on the analysis, exactly what Petra said. Looking extra forward to this game. :)

QuoteI'm hoping people will enjoy my efforts to bring them a fun and humorous adventure.
We/I certainly will. There is absolutely no doubt about that :)

i k a r i

;D...........

............................... ;D....

OK, maybe the smileys are not enough, let me just say that this game looks awesome, and sounds awesome too, hope you finish it (it seems like you will), Gooooood Luck..

PS: Awesome :S

QuoteWell, one think is not liking him, and the other is making humour of the retarder people!
Nacho speaking of Bush.

Ubel

The story seems quite original and well planned, and the visuals look pretty nice too. I'll surely give this a try once it's released. :)

iSTVAN

Thanks so much everyone who commented thus far! The support of the community is a big bonus :)

Since I posted I have gotten the custom GUI to work properly (I was originally having difficulty with this). I've also coded a few more of the puzzles so I'm pleased to say I can re-evalute the game's stats.

Story_____________________100%
Puzzles___________________100%
Background graphics__________100%
Character graphics____________95%
Coding____________________70%
Music and sound______________0%

Nikolas

ΗΑΗΑ!

Even better!

Now tell that music friend of your to get crackin, will ya? It's the only thing that's left behind!

(Of course I know that it is a free project, so there can be no pressure and so on, and also that music making is a timely buisnes and very demanding at times and so on, and still that making the correct soundtrack for the game is very important and so on (do you see a pattern here?) yet take this the right way: As encouragement to keep on working on the game :)

G

Just marvelous.

I love that graphics! Simple and retro, with all those colours. I hope you to get the music soon.

Good Luck with this!

iSTVAN

Haha.

I've notified my music buddy of this thread, so hopefully he can gain some inspiration from it aswell. That said, he only offered to create the music merely days ago. The 0% is also somewhat misleading, as I'll be using Pixel Blink's entire back catelogue of previously finished songs as well as a couple of fresh ones made specifically for the game. I just won't update the percentage until I've chosen the right songs and put them in the game.

Chicky

Giddy Plant

Looks like an amusing romp. I like how brown everything is.

DoorKnobHandle

Great! Looks very nice, I can't wait to play your game! ;D

Nacho

Istvan I hate you for making such functional graphics with that simplicity. I guess you'll be able to finish 3 or 4 per day... I envy you and I am going to send you a virus.

Of course, just kidding... Great work.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Das Plans

I'm speechless ... I'm without speech. What a deliciously refreshing post. Great looks, great story, great progress - what's not to love. Congrats! I'm definetely going to play your game!  :D

alimpo83

I love the 30's graphic style.
LIMPO ARTS

calacver

Welcome istvan.

Pixel joint has some excellent pixel stuff, three of our own AGSers are among the top elite artists on the pixel joint website. Check out their amazing galleries:

big brother
helm
buloght

Istvan, the style looks simplistic indeed and nice, I would like to see more consistency in the sprites  ;)

homelightgames

I really like the look of this game.  In my opinion, it fits perfectly into the game.   Style well done.

Good Job,

visionmind

ManicMatt

If the gameplay matches the quality of the graphics then it's gonna be a great game!

iSTVAN

Thanks everyone!
Nacho: Viruses are no laughing matter! Atleast save sending it until after I've finished the project ;)

Calacver: Thanks. Yep, big bro, buloght and helm are all very gifted. I never realised helm made adventure games, actually. About the sprite consistency, the only characters that appear shaded differently are the business people, this is because they're also the only ones who have walk animations (apart from Syd). I thought it better to shade them simplistically, but your crits are valid.

Thanks again everyone, I can't guarentee new screenies (because I don't want to ruin the plot points), but I will try to keep you all updated on the latest.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk