Music C&C

Started by Oz, Fri 08/12/2006 14:46:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Oz

Hey all!

I need criticism on this piece. WIP. Rough. No custom tempo map yet.

Dynamics, arrangement, etc.

My biggest concern is the dynamics and especially the drumming. Too obtrusive? Should I scrap it altogether?

Thank you!

http://hem.bredband.net/galactic/flt02.ogg
Diversity is divine!

MashPotato

I liked this a lot... very peaceful and nice to listen to ^_^.  The drumming and base don't seem to fit in with the serene feeling to, and I would like to hear what it sounds like without it, but I guess it depends on what kind of mood you're looking for.  Also, this is just my personal preference, but I think the flute part would sound nice as a violin instead... but I know nothing about music, so I have no idea if it would actually work! ^_^

Oz

Yes, this is like a clash of two genres, that's why I was wondering about the drumming. I'll post a drumless version later. Thanks for the comments!
Diversity is divine!

deFineLicht

Yes, I agree with Mashpotato, the drums doesn't fit. Or at least they take up too much room, maybe just some, what-do-you-call-it?...discreet perssuicion? But apart from that it's a very nice piece of music and I'm a bit gelous :P

Tuomas

Nice tune. Reminds me of those awful pan-flute covers they make of old hit songs... But not in a bad way. In fact there have been suggestions about taking the drums out and adding a violin. You know what I would do if I were you? Add a second melody or a back up melody right there where the drumming starts - with a violin. The violin could, as I said, play a different melody, or play the same, dunno which would be better. And I'd like to hear the tune in whole. hope you're not leaving it a 1:44 piece, seems to end a bit too soon...

But... as said, I wouldn't go removing the drums.

Oz

Great suggestions! Thanks. :)
Diversity is divine!

Damien

Wow, that was amazing.

I don't mind the drums, but they could be improved with some variety, try adding more patterns. Even when the fill comes in, the original pattern still stays the same. The snare may be too hard so you could try with a different sample or a lower velocity.

The song ending with the main melody part sounds a bit thin.

The above was nitpicking. The song is amazing and I would love to hear another, extended version. I imagine it building up with more orchestral instruments, but that's probably just the state I'm in at the moment.

Keep it up.

Gregjazz

It sounds like it's a guitar duet in the beginning... maybe it would be more obvious if they were panned apart?

You are using busses when you're using reverb, right? If not, busses can be a great way to add depth in your mix, because you can pan instruments to extremes that you can't usually do without. For example, one guitar could be panned 85% to the left, but with a send to a guitar bus which has all the reverb and is centered.

You have a lot of action going on in the center. All that padding, the strings, etc., could be moved to the perimeter of the mix, surrounding the key solo instruments in the center.

The drums could use some work... that kick that comes an eighth-note after the snare doesn't really fit IMO. Also, what if you gave the drummer brushes instead of sticks? (if you have brush samples in your drum solution). Either that or turn the velocity down on the drums so you're using the lower velocity layers on the drum samples.

Anyway, just some ideas.

Oz

Thanks Geoffkhan, very helpful.
Diversity is divine!

Guybrush379

Wich softwares have you used for registration?

Cubase, or else?

Violin orchestration is good

Oz

Quote from: Guybrush379 on Tue 12/12/2006 11:17:02
Wich softwares have you used for registration?

Cubase, or else?

Violin orchestration is good

This is sequenced in Propellerhead's Reason 2.5. Thank you. :)
Diversity is divine!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk