Is ags cross platform ?

Started by , Fri 12/01/2007 11:27:01

Previous topic - Next topic

marceledward

I've just downloaded ags and I wonder if it is cross platform ?

Ags seems to be a advanced aventure editor but I have read some posts about plugins in linux and running things in wine and in mac.

So I've tried it myself.

The 2.72 editor seems to work in wine.
But I could not run the exe game created by the 2.72 editor in my linux box, wine simply failed. Just a tiny box appeared wich did nothing more than attracting my mouse cursor. After a few minutes finally a picutre appeared. And a pupup box mentioning that the sound isn't working in wine.

So I tried to rename the .exe to a .dat file and to run it with the linux ags player.
And it said it could not play a 2.72 game ...

Trying to run the exe in dosbox didn't work either.

I hope the devopment op ags will head into a true cross platform adventure game studio.

In this case the editor should NOT create a .exe file wich runs on a windows system of on a windows emulator, but a .dat file wich should  be run with a ags-player.
So the adventure makers would not have to worry about all the different os systems around these days. Their games should run on any os system !

Rui 'Trovatore' Pires

It's curious that you should post this on this board, which has, at the very top, two stickied threads which concern themselves with the MAC and LINUX versions of the runtime engine - both maintained by AGSers rather than CJ, as you'd also know if you'd read them. And if you'd searched the forums, you'd have found tons of into regarding this issue, which is by no means a new one.

EDIT - I don't think I made myself clear in my first sentence, which rather implies you ignored the threads I mentioned. It's not what I mean. What I mean is, AGS as a cross-platform utility is a topic that has been done to death already. You should read up on older threads as well and then post when you feel you have something to say that will advance the situation. Your post is a bit informative, granted, but does little or nothing to improve any cross-platforming scenario (including your "exe" suggestion - any .exe file can be renamed to dat and played with the engine), and certainly does not warrant yet another thread on the subject.
Reach for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.

Kneel. Now.

Never throw chicken at a Leprechaun.

strazer

AGS v2.72 for Linux isn't out yet, and version 2.71 can't run games made with AGS v2.72, obviously. Games using plugins won't work anyway.
That the games don't run properly in Wine is Wine's fault, not AGS's.

I'd like to see speedier releases of the ports too, but I'm not sure what CJ can do to improve the situation.

Pumaman

The Mac and Linux ports are maintained by volunteers in their own free time, therefore please be patient -- there will eventually be 2.72-compatible versions of them released.

marceledward

I've downloaded the 2.71 game studio editor and the renamed exe works fine with the linux ags player.
The download was hard to find, it is at http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/ags_271.zip

I am patient, but I cannot develop a game when I am not able to test play it. But the 2.7.1 version will do fine.

And yes it is wine's fault the 2.7.2 games won't work in wine. I can't help it., I've got only one pc and can't do without my linux box.

And I have read some other posts about this, one mentining that the man wich compiles the linux player is currently in australia and hasn't got access to his build system.  So it can take a while before a up to date version is released. Maybe there should be an other AGSer try to compile a update.

I'm sorry I posted another thead about the cross platform issue, but it isn't solved yet, so I will at least try to discuss it.
I remember I have downloaded some ags adventures in the past, and tried to play 'm. But cause the exe didn't work with wine I deleted them. I simply didn't knew I could get them to work by simply renaming them and running them with the ags player, so you could say the adventure makers have missed a player !

Gilbert

Well it's not hard to find some of the released versions if you use the Wiki.

strazer

Btw, I also use Linux exclusively and cannot play any games that use plugins or are made with AGS v2.72 (yet). So you're not the only one.
Just be patient until the update for the Linux engine is released. I guess that's the price we have to pay. :)

farvardin

my wife made a small game with the 2.72 version, but I'd like it to run on linux and macosx, do you think it's possible to easily export all the stuffs and import it back to the 2.71 version ?
Or would it be too much work ? There aren't many characters or objects, but there is quite many comments / dialogues.

EvilTypeGuy

The Linux 2.72 version will be released this week very likely. I apologise for the wait.

Edit by strazer:

AGS Linux v2.72 has been released

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk