Character for my game. Opinion needed

Started by yarooze, Tue 30/01/2007 00:17:34

Previous topic - Next topic

yarooze

I made a character for my new game. Since I'm about to be happy with his style (all characters in the game will be about 3-4 heads high), I don't know if he looks right. The problem is: he has to be 16-19 years old, but I'm affraid, that he looks younger. The same problem, like in FFVII... :)

What do you think?

Here is he:
2x Ã,  2x

Screenshoot:

---edit---
The character "K" problem is fixed...Ã,  8)

My Blog

Steel Drummer

Make his face less round. Also, his walkcycle looks like some kind of 80s Michael Jackson dance thing.
I'm composing the music for this game:

esper

Well, first critic is learn to spell character.

Secondly, he looks good, and the "chibi" style isn't bad. If every character is made in the same style, you won't have a problem. But the face looks very old... as in, yoda - style old. I can't really place why, but I think it has to do with the bone structure.

Also, the walkcycle is more like a ski cycle.
This Space Left Blank Intentionally.

abibliophobe

Apart from the stuff that Steel Drummer and esper said, I think he looks kind of grumpy. But I guess that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Also, his face looks kind of flat in the diagonal view. Maybe try having the left cheek (the one obscured by the nose) extending a little bit past what is currently the side of the face (ie. make his cheek fatter :)).

TheCheese33

Well, the images aren't showing up. Try putting them with a different host than ImageShack.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
need...More...WOUND!

Nikolas

I tihnk that they both look brilliant! (BG and charakter! ;D) Of course what esper and Yoda said still apply...

Now on something else though.

The BG seems to be seen through some kind of round flare, or something simmilar, with the edges rounded up! How will this work with the charakter I wonder... IT will be rather difficult to be seen right with just a scale AGS process I think... Furthermore if the "camera" is creating this images in the BG then shouldn't the same happen with the charakter?

And I actually love the way you spell charakter. I'm not mocking you. I honestly lice it! :D I really do. No jokes apart from the obivous tpyo in like

Andail

Quote from: Nikolas on Tue 30/01/2007 19:39:41
I honestly lice it! :D I really do. No jokes apart from the obivous tpyo in like
what about the typos in obvious and typo? Your joke works in so many layers, Nik :)

lo_res_man

I was liced once, but then I had to get a stong shampoo. ;) ;D
†Å"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge.†
The Restroom Wall

yarooze

2 all: Thnx! ;)

2 Steel Drummer:
I can't make it less round. That was the idea. The chars in this game will be all "round headed" :) Comme Ça:
That was the question: Can you imagine, that this round headed boy is 19 years old, or I have to alter him? And how?

2 esper:
C H A R A C T E R Ã, right? Ã, ;D Ã, (thnx, fixed)
His face looks old? To old? In the game he's full of sorrow right now.

2 Zirconius:
May be you can make a paintover to show, what do you mean?

2 TheCheese33:
Has anybody else problems with ImageShark?

2 Nikolas:
Thank you... Ã, 8)
As for the BG, I made the walking area so that I mustn't think about perspective for the character. Some developers makes more complex perspective and do not alter the character at all. For example some of the backgrounds in "A Vampyre Story" or "Noctropolis" have really odd perspective (I like them).

Now everybody is mocking me for my english... :-[

2 all: I hope I'll start "game in production" tread soon and tell more about the game, since I have at least two backrounds... ;)

My Blog

Nikolas

yarooze: it may work. I am aware of those games you mention. Just thought that it may be doable to "distort" the character as well. And I really like the work charakter! Really do! No kidding here.

Usually babies have round and large heads. Making it just a tad "longer" and smaller will work immensly well I think, to answer your question.

abibliophobe

;D Never mind what I said before, I tried doing a paint over and it just made him look like he had a really fat face.

esper

I think the "old" business isn't from the downcast-ness of his face, but rather the homer-simpsonish area around where his "stubble" would be if he were older. Ordinarily, the younger a person, the less detailed the face.

And the "ski-cycle" thing is more important than the oldification. Make him step a little more forward and less to the side.

Steel Drummer

Surprising the animation is so lacking; coming from an animation competition veteran. ;)

Mr Flibble

You could try reducing the "muzzle" effect around his mouth?  At the moment he is the spitting image of a kid I went to school with. Who faked dyslexia (Even after being tested for it, and being found not to have it, he still claimed he did. Jerk.)

I personally wouldn't play a game with this guy in it. He looks too...unpleasant. I like his poncho though. A more natural looking face should do the trick. The front and 3/4 views are the only affected ones, the side view is actually great.

I'll do a paintover tonight if I can, try and show you what I mean.
Ah! There is no emoticon for what I'm feeling!

Tuomas

Quote from: Steel Drummer on Fri 02/02/2007 03:24:37
Surprising the animation is so lacking; coming from an animation competition veteran. ;)

Maybe as one you'd like to tell us how it's lacking because I don't see anyproblems with it myself. Unless you want to add some frames to smoothen the movement a bit, but that's really not necessary in my opinion.

Buckethead

No offence but it looks like he's ice skating.

yarooze

Thank you very much for all!Ã,  ;)

I've just started the "game in the production" thread.

here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=30016.0

I thought that his walking looks funny and ok. But since so many people tell me, that they don't like it, I have to change it...Ã,  Nobody likes it?Ã,  :'(

I reduced his "skating" a little bit (one pixel). Is it enough?

old new

As for his face, I don't really know, how to make it better...Ã,  ???

May be I'll rework him completely for the next game. So feel free to post more critic and paintovers... ;)

My Blog

esper

See? Just get rid of the muzzle, and it makes him look a lot better. You could probably make it look nicer than I can, but this is what you need to do if you want him to look like a teenager. Like I said before: the younger the character, the less detail in the face.  (EDIT: Ah... For the diagonal view, it just needs to come out a few pixels)

And as for the walkcycle: it isn't that I don't recognize the skill evident in its creation. I can't animate... especially not lo-res graphics (look at my game in progress: it's all hand drawn art. I can NOT do pixel art to save my life. It's a skill I both envy and admire). However, it is too far spread to either side. I can't even see what you did to repair it. Make the feet come straight out instead of going to the side. The way the arms swing now adds to it, but once you have the feet coming straight out instead of swaying and flaring out, it will look more like a gallant, purposeful stride than an ice rink maneuver.

Steel Drummer

Quote from: yarooze on Sun 04/02/2007 01:28:31
Thank you very much for all!  ;)

I've just started the "game in the production" thread.

here: http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=30016.0

I thought that his walking looks funny and ok. But since so many people tell me, that they don't like it, I have to change it...  Nobody likes it?  :'(

I reduced his "skating" a little bit (one pixel). Is it enough?

old new

As for his face, I don't really know, how to make it better...  ???

May be I'll rework him completely for the next game. So feel free to post more critic and paintovers... ;)

Still looks like he's dancing. His arms are too in sync with his feet. Way too much. His feet also need to move less to the side and more straight.

ciborium

His arms just move too much.  If his hands only came in as far a his hip, and his elbow didn't bend pulling his hand up, he wouldn't look like he's working so hard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk