Screens from games that never were

Started by Snarky, Fri 09/02/2007 21:25:45

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Which AGS games do you remember that were announced to great fanfare and then never actually went anywhere?

I'm looking for screens from and GiP announcements of games that were announced but never released. Just as an example, I haven't been able to find any screenshots from Jodo Kast's Colonel's Bequest remake, LBCBR. I was also looking for somewhere to download old issues of the e-zine The Inventory, which had screens from a number of promising games that haven't been released yet (Shadow Play, for instance), or were just plain abandoned.

I guess I'm looking mostly for games that got a lot of hype, or games that were ridiculously implausible or ill-conceived (or both). Games that are still (supposedly) being worked on but haven't shown much/any progress lately are eligible, especially if they've been under development since forever.

So Pleurghburg 2, FOY, loads of Sierra remakes, TLOTLL, ... err, Sphinx, the new AGS demo game, Ignac 2 and so on are the type of thing I'm looking for.

Nacho

Monkey Island 1.5 would suit in this topic?
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Radiant

Laura Bow and the Eye of the Beholder.

Disco

Freda vs. the Martians, almost three years since it's GiP thread. The premise was intriguing, and I was so excited I couldn't bear the wait. But we all know what usually happens in such instances  :-.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=12315.msg146856#msg146856

BOYD1981

i remember seeing a GiP a few years ago which used graphics from government/public information leaflets (like you get on planes), but i think it's disappeared off the forums now.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Snarky

You're probably thinking of READY (starring Ready Eddie). That was completed, but thanks for reminding me of it! It was a cool game.

Disco, that's a great example. Thanks! MI 1.5 would probably suit as well, Nacho. I have to admit I steer clear of threads about LEC sequels.

Radiant, not quite what I was thinking of, but it gave me a laugh.   :)

m0ds

Snake, FoY is not a "never where" it's a "never is"!!! Luckily we've been able to use just about all the screens. There's only about 4 out of 50 that haven't been used so far, but they're basically right fromÃ,  the early days of development, before the game had Lorn as a writer on board, when the storyline was extremely rough and the intro was extremely short. We have a lot of screens but we're being extremely selective over what we're showing. Not because we're bastards, just because we want to up-hold the "wow" factor of Miez's work when the game is released. I'm sure between then and now you'll see some screenies of fantabulous wonderment. Play the demo though, and there you will find 10 or so screens not seen for the first 5 years of the games development :)

Nacho, I think MI 1.5 counts! I flopped as the programmer...it would be great if this game came back into development though, I just love the fact you meet CJ and other "crazy" characters! ;)

Snaked, there is one project that never properly saw the light of day. I don't think it was ever announced. This is years old. Like, 2001 time - but it definitely wasn't hyped up. It could resurface, I love the story and really want to make it still. I've got a few characters and a demo-amount of backgrounds, but it's unlikely it'll be seen in the next decade :P

Catching Sheldon's Money

:)
m0ds

aussie

I used to save lots of beautiful screenies from "games in production" threads, but I can't remember where I've put them.

A few I could find:

It's from "Daemons in the Attic", a game I was really looking forward to!

That one is from "Tablet of Altheria".

This is from "Maya con Dios", by Steve McCrea.

BTW great thread Snarky!
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

Nikolas

I have lost the faith ye brothers:

Dan's dissapeared pretty much!
Ausie/Japanese mashroom is nowhere to be seen!
Esper is back, but this game is probably going nowhere ...

That's the few I could think. I decided to go for games that may have a chance of completion and not completely lost ones... It seems logical...

Chicky

Trust me, Dan is still around and working hard on tlotll

Nikolas

Then you must be the wonder member who's got aboard the team in tlotll! ;)

That's extra good news! What got me worried is that after many and many updates on his site, Dan, never got around (at least I guess) to add the mini site for the game.... :'(

Chicky

No :P I'm not the wonder member, i just chat to Dan a lot on msn.

I believe he's still working on the mini site, along with a tonne of other stuff for more work related stuff.

And i also wish Maya Con Dios was finished :(

Adamski

How old is that now? I still lament that I've never actually finished Byzantine in any capacity whatsoever, I just got too busy with real life... and perhaps it was too difficult to create what I wanted with limited resources. I still plan to finish the game, but as an IF.

Oh, and if anyone remembers TJH Part 1, well... I was planning to do the second part and spent a long time writing it. It just became so huge that I realised that I could never, ever finish it, so I eventually gave up. Here's some unfinished art by Scotch though, which you'll all agree would have made the game very pleasing on the eyes!

(open them in a new window to see them in their unresized glory)

But not to worry, the majority of the stuff I wrote has been syphoned off into another project that's a lot smaller and easier to manage, which is steadily lurching towards being finished.

Chicky

that p there looks freaking amazing. Looking forward to that one!

Kweepa

Wow, Byzantine looks great. Really solid. That scotch guy can't draw for toffee though.

Maya con Dios is nominally still in development, but I really need to set some deadlines or I'll never work on it. And of course I don't want it to be associated with Apocalypto.

Jimmy Jam, anyone?

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=10587.0
Still waiting for Purity of the Surf II

Blackthorne

I can't remember the name of the game (or the author),  but it had an American Western Theme - I think he signed his posts "Josh".

Bt
-----------------------------------
"Enjoy Every Sandwich" - Warren Zevon

http://www.infamous-quests.com

SSH

Rise of the Hidden Sun, Blackthorne. He did a column about it at AG, so I HOPE Snarky's already got that on his list. Funnily enough, someone nominated its characters for best player and best NPC in the awards this year...

Snarky

SSH has (I think) penetrated my evil scheme to gather entries for the "Underground Scene of the Day" thread over on Adventure Gamers, and more specifically for the Friday "unreleased UG" posts.

It's not that we're lacking candidates. Abandoned adventure game projects are two-score a dozen. But I had some trouble finding good screens from some of the more notorious ones, and thought it might be fun to see what people remember.

It's truly a shame that so many great-looking games are never going to see the light of day. Fingers crossed that some of them get revived!

Snake

The Legend of Leitor's Edge
Snake Pit Entertainment & Wicked Ace Entertainment

One choice can change everything...

I think this game might quailfy since it was announced like 4 years ago and paused for almost two.
It even had it's own artical on the DIY website: Leitor's Edge Canned?

--Snake
Grim: "You're making me want to quit smoking... stop it!;)"
miguel: "I second Grim, stop this nonsense! I love my cigarettes!"

aussie

The Legend of Leitor's Edge!!!

Now, that's a blast from the past.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight. It's the size of the fight in the dog.

http://www.freewebs.com/aussiesoft/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk