Error when starting Robotragedy (SOLVED)

Started by , Wed 28/02/2007 21:24:12

Previous topic - Next topic

sebastian

I get a error message when starting Robotragedy 1. The game is a EXE, which means its compiled, so I wonder how this error could appear:

Adventure Game Studio
---------------------------
An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this
is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 2.61.747)

Error: This game requires a newer version of AGS. Too many fonts for this version to handle.

It says its needs a newer version of AGS.

Pumaman

Has anyone else had a problem with this game?

strazer

Where did you get the game, from what link did you download it?

Gregjazz

Strange, I haven't heard of that error before.

The game is available here, if anyone wants to see if they get a similar error:

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=536

Gilbert

Furthermore, sebastian, can you post the specs of your computer here ?
(OS, CPU, amount of RAM, etc.)
I think it may be possible that say, there're not enough memory to load all the fonts, the error message might be misleading in this case though.

sebastian

My laptop:
1 GHZ
512 ram
WXP Home
HDD = 40 GB total, 20 GB free

I get this error on my standard computer too:
1,7 GHZ
512 ram
WXP Pro
HDD = 60 GB, 35 GB free

Should try to run the game in compatibily mode for win 98, and winNT and win2000 too.

-- I cant get it to run in compatibly mode either.

Tried to set cachemax=163840 too, but that didnt solve the problem. And memory is not a part of the problem.

Anyone that knows any command line switches that I can use to set/disable things?

Gilbert

Also.

Quote from: strazer on Thu 01/03/2007 18:56:28

In case it's possible you downloaded it from somewhere else where you got a corrupted game for some reasons.

Fleshstalker

Yup. I too got that damn error. What a freaking waste of my time. I downloaded it from this site which I'm sure the topic creator did as well.  >:(

Note: Disregard my other topic.

Ashen

Quote from: strazer on Thu 01/03/2007 18:56:28

The download on the game page seems to be a corrupted archive (CRC failed in Robotragedy\Robotragedy.exe. The file is corrupt error in WinRar), and gives me this error when I try to run it:
An error has occured. Please contact the game author for support, as this
is likely to be a scripting error and not a bug in AGS.
(ACI version 2.61.747)

Error: This game requires a newer version of AGS. Too many fonts for this version to handle.

However the Bicycle for slugs mirror seems to work fine (extracts OK, and will start - haven't played much yet, though).
I know what you're thinking ... Don't think that.

strazer

Ah, that explains it.
Geoffkhan, please let us know when you have updated the link on the games page.

Fleshstalker

??? Makes me wonder if the sequel also has this corrupted file too.

Edit: You know what am pretty sure the sequel also has the same error since both come from the same link. Its from Herculean Effort Production website, but those files are no where to be found when you go there. I'd try downloading the sequel, but that would take me about 2 and a half hours on my modem. Not gonna risk it when I could be downloading something else. Don't want to get burned twice.

Fleshstalker

If anyone remembers my other tpoic about Robotragedy 1 not working from the AGS site, I was told that the one at the bicycle site had a working one. I played it yesterday and enoyed the couple of hours I'd had played and went to check out Robotragedy 2.

I thought it would also not work, so I went to the bicycle site and didn't find it there. I then decided to download the only known link on AGS. I got it yesterday and clicked to play it, but nothing happens. My PC gets froze and the folder containing all the files won't close.

If I move the file, a new window appears every time. I then turned my PC off and got take to a strange XP window saying something was "dirty". I thought it was a virus. So after that screen scanned my files, it booted me up to my desktop. I then scanned the file for any viruses and none appeared. Thank God!

I figured it was my PC, so I decide to run the game. Same problem. This time no wierd XP screen. So it has to be the game. I emailed Pijin Pastrana about this and got this:

"I sent your mail to geoffkhan because he is the one hosting the game files,
and maybe that's the source of the problems. Maybe the games need to be
uploaded again."

That's part of the email. So that's probably the reason. Anyone willing to try the download link at the AGS site on Robotragedy 2 to confirm it's the game? Or perhaps there is some other link to this game that does work.

BOYD1981

do you by any chance have a Radeon graphics card (a 9xxx series to be more specific)?
when i was using a 9600XT i noticed it wouldn't play 16bit colour AGS games, it'd just get a blank screen, but nothing like windows freezing, although i am using 2000 and not XP.
i remember i got Robotragedy 2 just after it came out and it worked fine for me, i'll try downloading it again and see if works though.

Limey Lizard, Waste Wizard!
01101101011000010110010001100101001000000111100101101111011101010010000001101100011011110110111101101011

Fleshstalker

It's not a Radeon graphics card I have on my PC. Some wierd card I think since I've never bought one. I have a generic Dell Dimenson 2400. Only thing I added was 512RAM  , which was a long time ago. I have no problems running AGS games with 16bit or 32bit colors.

Gregjazz

I reuploaded it, this time onto the new Herculean Effort server.

http://www.herculeaneffort.com/downloads/Robotragedy.rar

The filesize matches what's on my computer, and it works on my computer. (yes, the old link was corrupted!)

Fleshstalker

Well, thats great. Does this also apply to Robotragedy 2? Since that one is also corrupted.

Gilbert

Since this thread is about corrupted archive, it's in no way related to AGS technical now.
I'll move this to the AGS gen. forum.

Gregjazz

I don't see why it would apply to Robotragedy 2. I had already uploaded it on my new server at a much later time, and plenty of people have played the game.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk