AGS 3.0 Final - it's been a long road

Started by Pumaman, Sun 10/06/2007 18:24:35

Previous topic - Next topic

monkey0506

I don't experience this. I get full-screen unless I run setup to make it windowed (I always run windowed mode when testing). And from your description of the problem it's not rewriting the CFG (configuration) file? On my computer it generates this file.

Sorry I'm not much help...but it may just be your computer...?

Scorpiorus

Quote from: Sadistyk on Mon 23/07/2007 00:30:19when I run the game, the game runs windowed instead of full screen.

Note that running a game with the Debugger (F5) will always run it in a window instead of full screen so that you could easily switch between the game window and your script to debug. Try running without debugger (Ctrl-F5) instead.

The "Save and Run" option runs it with no debugger as well.

Sadistyk

It works fine. I was running it with the debugger. Sorry for all the troubles.

Reaper

Quote from: Reaper on Wed 18/07/2007 20:44:07
In Beta 5, when i make a new translation, language specific chars like äöüàŸ appear as a ? in the .trs file.
Hmm strange, I'll look into it. Is this a new problem with beta 5, or is it just the first time you've tried it with 2.8 ?

First time i've  tried it with 2.8
in 2.72 the same translation file is ok

I can limit this error to text in the dialog script editor, every other text (dialog topics, text in room scripts tested so far) is correct in the .trs file

Edit: (gui)button text is not exported to trs file (gui labels are ok)
         In the Editor in guis äöü are displayed as ^ but are displayed correct in the compiled game
         Example Image

Ishmael

I hope I haven't missed anything... But how do I reorder rooms? Is the only way still to change the file name, or does that even work anymore?
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

monkey0506

In regards to the AGS_MAX_* constants, perhaps they could be included for non-strict scripting?

Code: ags
#ifdef AGS_SUPPORTS_IFVER
  #ifver 2.8
    #ifndef STRICT
      #define AGS_MAX_CHARACTERS 300
    #endif
  #endif
#endif

Of course module writers would then have to make some sort of accommodation for this (which could actually be done anyway):

Code: ags
#ifdef AGS_MAX_CHARACTERS
int CharacterStatus[AGS_MAX_CHARACTERS];
#define MY_MODULE_MAX_CHARACTERS AGS_MAX_CHARACTERS
#endif
#ifndef AGS_MAX_CHARACTERS
int CharacterStatus[];
#endif

// game_start
#ifndef AGS_MAX_CHARACTERS
CharacterStatus = new int[Game.CharacterCount];
#define MY_MODULE_MAX_CHARACTERS Game.CharacterCount
#endif

It is a hassle if you have to do this for a lot of arrays, granted, but it could at least provide means for backwards/forwards compatibility of your module.... :-\

Seeing as you may have multiple modules relying on the same constant, I've decided it would probably be best to define your own macro for bounds-checking in this case instead of redefining the macro if it doesn't exist.

joelphilippage

I have tried running my game and made two new rooms with the new version. Whenever I try to save the new rooms it shows this error.
Error (line 90): Variable 'new' is already defined in script "AutoGenerated.Ash"
. I do not have any line 90 in my room's script and there is no "_AutoGenerated.ash" file in my script's.  Is this just my problem or is it the editor?

Radiant

Question for Chris -

Will this or a future version support 800x600 (or higher) resolution, using actual 800x600 coordinates rather than 400x300 ones? Having to put everything at even-numbered pixels is kind of impractical :)

Gilbert

I think, quite possibly not this version, as the major update of this version is the rewritten editor, not the engine.

In my opinion it's better to say "support high resolution, using actual coordinates" than just saying 800x600 or above, as this applies also to "lower high resolutions" like 640x400 and 640x480.

Pumaman

QuoteRegarding getting the size of an array, this is definitely stored internally somewhere, because dynamic arrays still have proper bounds checking. This wouldn't be possible unless the size was stored. Now it's simply a matter of providing a reasonable means for the user to access this value.

Yes, the array size is known, it's just a matter of finding an elegant way of exposing it. Actually, trying to add dynamic arrays has made me realise that I probably need to rewrite the script compiler before I can hack much more into it, so that should be fun...

Well, if you're asking for suggestions, how about keeping the same value it used to be defined to? That would maintain backwards compatibility, would it not?

I guess that's one option. It would obviously mean that if a game had more views than the old limit, the module would break, but I suppose that's relatively rare.

QuoteChris, would it be possible to have those MAX_VALUE  become complile time static variables. Something like if you have 10 views AGS_MAX_VIEWS is now 10, and can be used in array declarations and the like.

Since things like characters, views, and the like cannot be made dynamically, this shouldn't pose any code issues (other than difficulty).

There are two potential issues with this -- first, as Gilbert says, it would need to rebuild all rooms whenever the number of GUIs, etc changed. And second, I wouldn't want to rule out the possibility of adding dynamic creation of these things at a later date.

QuoteSystem.IndexOutOfRangeException: àndice fuera de los límites de la matriz.
   en AGS.Editor.AutoComplete.SkipWhitespace(FastString& script)
   en AGS.Editor.AutoComplete.GetNextWord(FastString& script)

Hmm, would it be possible for you to upload or post the script that causes this error?

QuotePerhaps there could be an option ion the editor for compatibility: 1: No compatibility, 2: Set to values used in 2.72, which will break if you exceed the old limits 3: Static compile-time constants that forces a recompile of all rooms each time you build.

That's a possibility, but it seems to be over-complicating things for this feature -- and would also mean module authors couldn't rely on the behaviour of the constant.

QuoteWould it be practical for the Editor to remember which pane is currently selected to show (Properties or Events) in Edit Room (until a new room is loaded)? It's just I was adding several room event functions in a row and each time I pressed "..." and then double-clicked Edit Room to go back, it showed the Properties pane when I'd prefer the Events as I was working with them.

Hmm interesting point, I'll look into it.

Quote1. Monkey (or maybe scorporius?) previously wrote that one has to return a modified array, or else the values in the array will be wrong.

Will the values in the array be wrong :
a) Only if the int[] got reassigned (using the new keyword) within the function?
(which would be normal, since an int[] is probably equivalent internally to an int* - so it is impossible to resize an array within a function that cannot  have an int** as parameter)

b) Even if there was no new within the function ?

Think of an int[] as a similar concept to an int* in C -- so if you don't use new, then the original array will be modified. The requirement to return the array is only if its address changes, which is what new will do.

Quote2. Is there any sort of limitation concerning the size of an exported int[]?

As Scorpiorus says, this is just exporting an address, so it counts as 32 bits of export data.

QuoteI can limit this error to text in the dialog script editor, every other text (dialog topics, text in room scripts tested so far) is correct in the .trs file

Thanks for the update, I'll look into it.

Edit: (gui)button text is not exported to trs file (gui labels are ok)
         In the Editor in guis äöü are displayed as ^ but are displayed correct in the compiled game
         Example Image

Yes, this is the main outstanding known bug with the editor, so far I haven't been able to work out why it's happening. I'm continuing to investigate.

QuoteI hope I haven't missed anything... But how do I reorder rooms? Is the only way still to change the file name, or does that even work anymore?

Do you mean change the room number, or change the order they appear in the editor's list?

QuoteI have tried running my game and made two new rooms with the new version. Whenever I try to save the new rooms it shows this error.
Error (line 90): Variable 'new' is already defined in script "AutoGenerated.Ash"

"new" has become a reserved word because of the dynamic array support. Do you have any views, characters, dialogs etc that are called "new"?

QuoteWill this or a future version support 800x600 (or higher) resolution, using actual 800x600 coordinates rather than 400x300 ones? Having to put everything at even-numbered pixels is kind of impractical

This version won't because it would require significant changes to the engine to support this, however it's certainly something I'll look into for future versions.

monkey0506

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 29/07/2007 15:18:28
QuoteRegarding getting the size of an array, this is definitely stored internally somewhere, because dynamic arrays still have proper bounds checking. This wouldn't be possible unless the size was stored. Now it's simply a matter of providing a reasonable means for the user to access this value.
Yes, the array size is known, it's just a matter of finding an elegant way of exposing it. Actually, trying to add dynamic arrays has made me realise that I probably need to rewrite the script compiler before I can hack much more into it, so that should be fun...

Well the script compiler is a big part of the engine, so it probably wouldn't hurt anything to get a fresh start out on that as well. Looking forward to your "elegant solution" though. ;)

Monsieur OUXX

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 29/07/2007 15:18:28trying to add dynamic arrays has made me realise that I probably need to rewrite the script compiler before I can hack much more into it

If you do so, anticipate future enhancements (OOP?  ::))

Radiant

Quote from: Pumaman on Sun 29/07/2007 15:18:28
QuoteWill this or a future version support 800x600 (or higher) resolution, using actual 800x600 coordinates rather than 400x300 ones? Having to put everything at even-numbered pixels is kind of impractical
This version won't because it would require significant changes to the engine to support this, however it's certainly something I'll look into for future versions.

Ah, never mind, I found a workaround :)

Monsieur OUXX

Downloaded beta 5, tried to run it (agseditor.exe), it crashed.

It didn't mention coree.dll missing (so it shouldn't be a .NET framework problem), nor any other specific problem. Just the "default" crash message (which i get in French, but should be approximatively this in english : "Application couldn't initialize properly (0xc0000135). click on OK to stop the application")

I'm running XP with SP2.

[EDIT]I re-downloaded the 2.0 framework, and it worked fine. It probably got "corrupted" by one of the other dev-envs I'm using (Eclipse? Visual Studio?). But maybe you should try to enhance the detection of the required components?[/EDIT]

Gilbert

May be it's a .NET framework version problem? Try to update it (if possible) first and see if that helps.

Pumaman

Ok, beta 6 is now up. This fixes various issues, and removes the limits on the number of frames and loops you can have in a view.
This has involved some refactoring of the engine, so please make sure that any multi-loop animations that you have still work properly.

Also, it adds Cuppit, your friendly pop-up assistant. Please let me know whether you think he's useful and whether what he says is pitched at the right level. Obviously he's intended for use by beginners but he also pops up with a couple of tips, such as the Run button always running windowed, that would be useful for everyone.
Suggestions on anything else he should say or other situations where he'd be useful, would be appreciated.

Lt. Smash

Some little things:

QuoteFixed property grid disappearing if you double-clicked the current window in the project tree
It's also disappearing if you single-click anything in the project tree.
---------------
I don't know if this is intentional but if you click the 'delete last option'-button in the GUI menu, only the field to the left is deleted, not the code to the right.
---------------
Cuppit and his text is always at the same level(lower left), he's not moving.
Maybe design him a bit better; he looks not that good. ;)

But all in all the whole editor is very good. :)

Keep on that good work!

Ghost

While I like Cuppit in Radiant's games, I don't think he fits into the editor that well... The tips are okay, but, well, I don't know... could put people off, without meaning to be harsh. Plus, the animated eyes flicker on my screen- the top half of the eyeballs show up pretty garish and transparent. I personally wouldn't mind having a mascot, but I agree with Lt. Smash, it should then look a bit better. Maybe using the original cup icon, only enlarged? Like that nefarious MSWord paper clip, stylewise?

I've started to work on a small, typical test game using the betas. So far I can't report anything screwing up. Also nice to have that loop frame limit removed; though so far I've taken care never to use too many frames, I'm sure I'll sleep a bit easier now knowing that, should I want, I can.

Misj'

Quote from: Pumaman on Sat 04/08/2007 20:14:47
Also, it adds Cuppit, your friendly pop-up assistant. Please let me know whether you think he's useful and whether what he says is pitched at the right level. Obviously he's intended for use by beginners but he also pops up with a couple of tips, such as the Run button always running windowed, that would be useful for everyone.
Suggestions on anything else he should say or other situations where he'd be useful, would be appreciated.

I've never really been an fan of Microsoft's office assistants. Except for the cat...cats are fun. But generally I consider them to be completely and utterly useless.

An additional problem for me in this case is, that due to the design, I'm not 'invited' to read the text. To me Cuppit is not really friendly...just scary and annoying. So I agree with Smash and Ghost: a better design would be appreciated.

I know it's not the place (this is not the critics lounge), but I just couldn't resist...  :-X

Top: original design of Cuppit (for those who want to know what he looks like without having to start the editor)
Bottom: 'rough' sketch of a cartoony Cuppit (just something that flowed out of my pen).

Misj'

Redwall

The current Cuppit is the one from META, isn't it? It's supposed to be scary/disturbing.
aka Nur-ab-sal

"Fixed is not unbroken."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk