A Tale of Two Kingdoms - Walkthrough

Started by KuroShiro, Tue 24/07/2007 03:15:44

Previous topic - Next topic

KuroShiro

Hello all. I decided to post this seperately from the main hints/tips thread for people who don't even want to be tempted by it... anyway.

Jenimad's amazing note-taking and my insomnia bring you ... the Tale of Two Kingdoms (unofficial) walkthrough/faq. It is still a work in progress of sorts as some alternate solutions are not there yet, but contains answers to, as far as we know, every puzzle in the game. It should get you 100% completion if you do EVERYTHING listed. Okay, without further ado ...

EDIT: LINK NO LONGER WORKING

!! WARNING --- WARNING !!
This walkthrough does not contain gentle hints - it has straight solutions for everything in the game. I tried to organize it so you can look up individual puzzle's you're having trouble with, but it may be hard to avoid peeking. I suggest you only use it if you are desperately stuck, or are playing through a 2nd time and want to find everything.

Bye, and be sure to leave comments on how it can improve (beyond the stuff in the TOC that hasn't been added yet), or let me know if you want to contribute something.  ;D
"What's it made of?" "Cyanide and Happiness." "Happiness? Hot damn, I'll take 4!"

Trent R

I gave a semi-complete points list to Jenimad. Did he ever give that to you? Cause some people might want that in order to get 100/100/20/5.

~Sirus
To give back to the AGS community, I can get you free, full versions of commercial software. Recently, Paint Shop Pro X, and eXPert PDF Pro 6. Please PM me for details.

Current Project: The Wanderer
On Hold: Hero of the Rune

I found another way to get the winter coat from the taylor, without spending money: give him some cider (then it's possible to retrieve the empty bottle entering again in the shop).

Radiant

Awesome work, people!

When I'm back from Mittens I'll take a closer look and fill in the blanks, if any :)

Oh yeah, the village is named Havgan, not Havershan.

Nostradamus

Nice, thanks!
Now I  won't have to post every day in the hints & tips thread for Two Kingdoms..

I would like it much better though if you put the side quests in the walkthrough itself and not after it, or at least put hyperlinks to side-quests when it's time to do them in the walkthrough.

Ledz

one addition:
in the black tower, you get another wisdom point if you break the crystal with your sword.

Thanks great walkthrough. Maybe I missed something as I got 97 wisdom, 100 honor, 19/20 cuts and 5/5 side quests. I didn't see you mention that when you walk near the big tree in Havgan when it's taken over by goblins the old man steps out and warns you, if that's a cut.

KuroShiro

Quote from: Radiant on Tue 24/07/2007 18:40:08
Awesome work, people!

When I'm back from Mittens I'll take a closer look and fill in the blanks, if any :)

Oh yeah, the village is named Havgan, not Havershan.

Argh ><, I did it from memory mostly, so it was inevitable that I would get some names wrong. I'll fix that tonight, as I plan to update it a bit with some more solutions.  EDIT: updated slightly.

Nostradamus: I think I will do just that. The sidequests don't really fit neatly into the WT as they tend to span a couple chapters, but indicating a time to start them is probably a good idea.

Sirius: Jenimad is sending your list to me, but if you've updated it since then please send it. All help is appreciated.

Guest: actually I think there's still a couple things missing in the WT to get you wisdom (One is posted above, and I know at least one of them) so you probably did everything in there. I don't think the druid is counted as a cutscene, but correct me if I'm wrong oh makers-of-game.
"What's it made of?" "Cyanide and Happiness." "Happiness? Hot damn, I'll take 4!"

Charity

If you decide to make an endings section, I found another I haven't seen mention of yet.

Spoiler
Complete the assassin finding sidequest.  Then break into the Jeweller's shop and when she comes, kill her with the dagger.  Once you have zero honor, show the truth gem to the assassin and thank him.
[close]

Edit: Oh!  As this came up in the help thread a few times,
Spoiler
You might want to specify that to turn back from a rabbit you need to walk ON the mushrooms, not around them on the outside.  It can be tricky and a little frustrating if it doesn't occur to the player initially.
[close]

Thalon

I found another way to get rid of the barghest, that could be useful to include in the WT:

Spoiler
Run, lure it in the tool shed outside Havgen (it could a bit difficult, but I noticed that you have some little time to pass by it before it fully materializes), then finally use the horseshoe inside the shed to trap it and gain the usual amount of wisdom points; this method prevents you to use the horseshoe in the "belt sidequest", but could be solved picking up the horseshoe again and later kill the foul beast with the usual modes.
[close]

BTW, I would suggest another addition that would be nice to see into the WT: there's an authors' commentary available if you start the game again after beating it once (I didn't check if every single different ending unlocks it).

KuroShiro

Okay, updated. It now contains: all the alternate solutions to puzzles in the game, I believe (correct me if I missed any), a 100% Wisdom+Honor pointlist (am I the first to get it?  :P), an ending list, and various corrections to spelling/misinformation.

All it is currently missing is one cutscene. I apparently got it on a previous play through, but damned if I can remember what it is. Let me know if you know what it is and it will finally be 100% complete.

sthomannch

Another cutscene in chapter 6, I think
Spoiler

Before goint to the city, go to the waterfall and see Taliesin playing the flute and pooka dancing. I don't know if they appear in other places. Could not do anything meaningful in this screen.
[close]

More answers to riddles
Spoiler

If a man gives it he tries to keep it: word
You break if you speak of it or name it: silence
Spoiler

I always had problems to get the love letter in time
Spoiler

If you work quickly you can still do it when you visit the fairy land for the last time, before you use the dagger or charm on yourself.
[close]
[close]
[close]

Charity

Random item locations:

Spoiler
I've had the pigeon appear south of the goblin's camp.  I also had the coin appear in the room south of the mushroom circle.
[close]

sthomannch

This time, when I started the game from scratch and went through the hole intro, including the credits
Spoiler

the blue cup (supposedly from "META") and another character appeared and offered help. An easter egg? A blue cup is in my inventory now. When I click, I get comments about the game, the contributors, etc. Use the blue cup in different rooms :-)
[close]

random locations
Spoiler

coin: at the shipwreck, southwest corner of screen
[close]

Nikolas

sthomannch:

Spoiler
This is the creators commentary. It appears after you've finished the game at full (at least I think so  :-[)
[close]

sthomannch

Yet another cutscene
Spoiler

in chapter 5, when the jeweler's shop is closed, you have a chance to see the owner on the balcony above the castle's entrance.

[close]

So I finished with all points and all scenes.

When I compared what I did with the walkthrough above, I found that in chapter 2,
Spoiler

when I escaped the room, I got 2 wisdom points
[close]

The dialogues of the blue cup hint to more easter eggs,
Spoiler

at least one about the fishes in the ocean and one hidden at the entrance to the giant. I didn't find them yet (only the one with the goblin in shorts).
[close]

snoopy

i noticed when adding up the Wisdom total points is 98 and Honor total points is 97 in your Points walkthrough. What is the other 2 Wisdom points and 3 Honor Points ?

John

Radiant

Quote from: guest on Tue 24/07/2007 21:46:09
I didn't see you mention that when you walk near the big tree in Havgan when it's taken over by goblins the old man steps out and warns you, if that's a cut.
No, that's not a cutscene (although it's interesting) and neither is seeing the jeweler at the castle gate. It only counts as a cutscene if you see two characters interacting with each other while not noticing you. What Sthomanchh mentions about Taliesin is the 20th cutscene.

Quote from: Lyaer on Wed 25/07/2007 03:57:34
Spoiler
You might want to specify that to turn back from a rabbit you need to walk ON the mushrooms, not around them on the outside.
[close]
As of v1.1, this is no longer true, and you can also walk on the outside. I fixed it because it stumped some people :)

Quote from: Thalon on Wed 25/07/2007 17:13:11
BTW, I would suggest another addition that would be nice to see into the WT: there's an authors' commentary available if you start the game again after beating it once (I didn't check if every single different ending unlocks it).
You need to get the "good" or "best" ending to unlock that.

Thank you for writing this. Do you mind if I copy it to the Crystal Shard website? It may be nice to include some GIF map of the Theylann countryside.

If someone has the spare time to burn, I believe the best format for an ATOTK walkthrough (given its extreme non-linearity) would be in the form of a series of questions ("how do I deal with <foo>") and answers, e.g. such as this one.

A few details, and answers to the "I believe..." things in the wt.
Spoiler

I note that you call some NPCs consistenly by name, and others by title? That's okay, I was just wondering. The missing names are Paradur (chancellor), Amairgen (druid), Ruadh (beggar), Iseult (jeweler), Cailte (smith), Morholt (giant), Finegas (monk) and Ashe (stable boy). The villager is Niameh, not Nimaweh.

You are likely to get looked at the wizard in chapter one. Also, you can spot Ruadh in the main hallway.

Getting the rope: you need to "use" the balcony twice to jump off.

You may want to mention early in chapter 3 that Branwyn will keep items for you if you don't want to carry them.

There are four possible locations for the coin and pigeon. Note that you can also spot the Pooka dancing in the forest.

The wishing well provides for an alternative way to enter the city; wish for humans to trust you and you can simply use the front gate. (I note it says so later in the walkthrough). If for whatever reason you did not take the key from Amairgen, you can open the shed door with the lock pick.

Making money: there's a few other things you can also sell, most notably the vase (if you still have it) and the conch shell.

The pooka (again): alternatively, if you keep trying to leave the room, she'll eventually let you. As stated earlier in this thread, the fourth answer is "silence". You may want to mention the seashell in her section as well. If you give her an item that you need, you can get it back by giving her something else, such as the shell.

Wishing well: the faerie wish indeed bypasses the crystal cave. The protection wish, as you assume, shields you from the barghest.

Captured by goblins: for completeness' sake, you can also use the sword rather than the dagger.

Getting the flute: the fire on the beach can be put out with the bottle of water. Or simply come back later.

Thierna na Oge: there's three other ways past this test, one of which is the wish you mention. The unseelie does in fact play better than Paradur.

Stopping the goblin horde: to get the key from the raven, play whatever you want. It responds to the sound, not the tune. Note that if you don't have the key, you can also take the orb using the lock picks. If for whatever reason you don't have the bottle yet at this point, you can find it on the sleeping goblin in the orchard.

Regaining human form: if you had gotten Ruadh arrested earlier, you can simply pass the bridge (and the fox will leave you there). As said above, you need no longer walk exactly ON the mushrooms. Oh yeah and you can spot Niameh in the orchard although you don't need to.

The castle again: you'll need to find Rhiannon before doing the distraction thing. I note that you omitted the two alternative ways of dealing with the apprentice. Talking to her only works if you found the raskovnik for her earlier.

Sidequests: it's a girdle, not a belt :)  There are indeed three pieces of evidence. The correct answer to "who is the assassin" can be found by playing sherlock: make a list of all characters in the game and crossing off everybody who (1) lacks a motive, or (2) has an alibi - or alternatively, think on what the murder weapon was and who would be capable of obtaining that.

Cutscenes: "I think you have to do this before any other cutscenes in the city" is incorrect; the order is irrelevant. "I think you need to have talked to the apprentice in Carbonek" is not necessary. The Baum/Midir scene indeed no longer occurs if you've given him the brain (note that it can occur in chapter 3). Cailte/apprentice is not triggered by the raskovnik; indeed, she'll come back to talk to him later, if you've given her the grass earlier.

There are 18 cutscenes in your list. The two missing ones are Taliesin/pooka in chapter 6, and the whispering voices at the cliff in chapter 2 (which you can't actually miss, but it's still a cutscene).

Points list: escaping your room should be 2 wisdom, as correctly stated earlier in the wt. Note that a few things (e.g. the lantern and wishing well) can be done in chapter 3. Technically, capturing Ruadh and offering to help him are two separate things. "complete the test" should be one point for completing it, and two more for doing it properly. You don't get 2 wisdom for "naming the assassin" but rather for remembering you had a mission beyond resting in Thierna. "Throw horseshoe at jeweler" isn't 3 points but 2; the third is from getting your girdle back. Taking the mouse is omitted from the points list (1 wis). And dealing with the apprentice properly in the castle also nets you 3 honor.

[close]

snoopy

You said theres 3 pieces of evidence for the assassin i could only find two [hide]black cloth and piece of paper from the pigeon.[/spoiler] Where do i find the 3rd piece of evidence ?

John

Tsumarin

another random place for the gold coin: in the bushes by the shipwreck

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk