2007 AGS Awards: For Your Consideration

Started by SSH, Sun 13/01/2008 20:16:31

Previous topic - Next topic

SSH

The Awards for the best games of 2007 are getting underway. Write-in nomination is about to start (you can specify any game you like, although only games added to the games database in 2007 are eligible). However, with so many possibilities you may lose the wood for the trees, so please can game authors suggest possible nomination categories for their games in this thread, along with a forum-signature-size banner if they like. Please, no more than one post per game, don't be silly with your posts and lets all be nice! Probably better to PM me with questions than clutter up this thread.

So, read the adverts in this thread and then go and vote here

Dualnames

Sho-Ryu-Ken Corp brought you this year:
Lone Case Locomotive Breath

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=903

Lone Case 2:Scars

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=964

Lone Case 3: Showdown (DEMO)

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=924

I suggest:
Lone Case 2:Scars as
Best Dialogue Writing
Music(Ishmael put his hand)
Best Puzzles They're not the smartest but I've put some effort

Dave Dell as
Best Player Character Well shooting and killing was never such fun!

John Faust as
Best Non-Player Character
Talking like Darth Vader, having a mechanical hand and beeing smart and helpful isn't assets that all NPCs have.. 8)

And Lone Case 3:Showdown as
Best Demo

P.S.
You can as well vote the game if you think it;s the best, but I'm keeping it real..
Anyway whether you vote or not.. Thanks to all those for taking the effort of downloading any of the games.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

deadsuperhero

I would like to nominate Who Killed Who? as Best Idiotic Short Game and Most Unexpected Game Over Sequence (When the player tries to talk to various things.)
Oh yeah, and the OMG, You Made This With Linux Award.
Yes, I'm that much of an asshole.
The fediverse needs great indie game developers! Find me there!

Radiant

For your consideration: A Tale of Two Kingdoms

• An intriguing story that is part epic and part fairy tale - best story.
  • Nearly a hundred vivid backgrounds in classic adventure style - best background art.
  • Rolling waves, magic spells, idle character emotes, and dozens of little animals that wander and fly around - best animation.
  • A wide cast of characters, from noble to serf and from hare to Faerie, all animated and speaking to one another - best character art.
  • From the quirky Pooka to the stolid monk, and between the feral goblins and the comical Scarecrow - best non-player character.
  • Over an hour of high quality MP3 music - best music.
  • Many puzzles have multiple solutions, making the gameplay highly non-linear - best puzzles.
  • A colorful 23-page manual in PDF - best manual.

Aside from that, ATOTK has a number of innovative programming tricks. You can order other characters around, and have them solve puzzles for you. Many characters wander through town of their own accord. There are many details like birds flying away, fog, and falling leaves. The text boxes come with initials at the top, in a different font. A minigame is included - the boardgame Dampiry. And there's even a nasty spell that inverts your mouse controls... - best programming

Essex

Since Le Woltaire is lying in a hospital at the moment
I'm going to nominate "Earl Bobby is looking for his Balls" for him.

http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/games.php?action=detail&id=846

The game doesn't really have a plot or so...
And sometimes I thought the author is a bit crazy,
or at least a freak...  ;)

But the game has a lot of surprises, that I didn't expect
and was however not really mentioned around this place...

I think it should be nominated in the categories:
- Best Puzzles (wrenched, non-linear, but still logical)
- Best Player Character  ("Earl Bobby")
- Best Non-Player Character  ("Lula" the nymphomaniac Girl, "Arnold the Armour" or "The Greenkeeper")
- Best Character Art (tons of animated close-ups)
- Best Animation
- Best Use of Sound
(Voices and so on)
- Best Use of Music  (the "Birdie Song")
- Best Documentation
- Best Scripting 
(interactive arcade passages and a virtual golf tournament)
- Best Backgrounds
- Best Voice Acting
, if this exists...
- Best Story, an adventure game where you have to look for your own balls. That's a story!

Play it, it's worth some puzzling...!

Ali

Please consider my game:

"Nelly Cootalot: Spoonbeaks Ahoy"

Nelly Cootalot features:

A heroine with a taste for adventure and a flare for disguise - Best Player Character
A rich soundtrack by Mark "Mark 'm0ds' Lovegrove" Lovegrove - Best Music
Salty nautical punning - Best Dialogue
Wobbly Stylised hi-resolution backdrops - Best Background Art
Quirky cut-out style character design - Best Character Art
A cast of truculent bucanneers and animal assistants- Best Non-Player Character
Um... there were quite a lot of animations - Best Animation

And it may be too late, but I'd like to suggest some alternative nomination categories:

Best recycling of pirate clichés.
Best bird-themed adventure.
Best non-kingdom related game.

macon

I released only 1 game last year.

Amoto's Puf

You may wish to consider nominating it in the non adventure game catagory.

Akatosh

Well... I sure released one hell of a lot of games last year, so can I nominate myself for Most Productive Crappy Game Producer 2007?  :=

Now, for the serious part.

_ACCESS

It's sure been a long, long, long time since this was released so it might have gotten a little out of your memory (which is why I'm putting this here... ::) :P) but nevertheless, I'd like to enter it for Best Non-Adventure Game Created with AGS and Best Gameplay 2007. You've GOT to love playing as a hacker!

Also, I'd like to nominate Hindenburg from Washed Ashore (Deluxe) for Best Non-Player Character... come on, he's a senitent floating Zeppelin with a degree in Engineering! Who doesn't love these?

Also also, just for the laughs basically, Me Go Store II and III for Best Dialogue. Yes, both of them.  :=.

mintymint

Hi,

Please consider my game Chinese Checkers as

Best Non-Adventure Game Created with AGS (board game in AGS is quite rare, and of course it'll bring some memories for many people, and Chinese Checkers / Stern-Halma is my favourite board game, and ofcourse, you don't have to arrange the marbles everytime you want to play, coz the game will do it for you..  ;) )

and

Best Programming (Scripting AI for a board game is very challenging and scripting game with a lot of grids is quite tough, especially to maintain the code)

Also, please consider my other game,
Fynewrylst Memories: The Secret of The Golden River as Best Story (for it's originality and simplicity)

Thanks..  :D

Knoodn

I can remember this one . . .

Trevor Daison in outer space - Chapter One

I know it's short . . . maybe the best short game of 2007?

Play and vote . . .

TheJBurger

For your consideration: La Croix Pan

• It copies Automation and World War II shooters (Best Gameplay)
  • It has pixel backgrounds (Best Background Art)
  • Featuring tons of animations for two different types of characters (Best Animation)
  • Featuring a sniper sequence with hit detection on 4 body parts, rudimentary AI, action sequences, and more. (Best Programming)
  • On the audio front, you can hear war ambiance throughout the game (explosions in the distance, booms), gun sound effects, and changing footsteps depending on the surface you are walking on. (Best Use of Sound)
  • This game is short. (Best Short Game)

LimpingFish

For Your Consideration:

Unbound: A Wound Vignette

Thanks to everybody who downloaded and/or took the time to add a player rating for Unbound.

If you enjoyed playing Unbound, why not nominate it in the following AGS Award categories:

Best Short Game

Best Background Art

Best Use of Sound

Best Dialogue Writing

...or any other categories that might take your fancy. :)

Thanks again, and good luck to everybody putting their games forward for this years awards.

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Baron

For your consideration: Charlie Foxtrot & the Galaxy of Tomorrow.  Sure there was no magic, but....  well, that's about the only thing that was missing.  This game has everything, including a myriad of reasons to nominate it!

The dark horse of this year's awards, I think the game can compete in the following categories:

BEST STORY -A rebel clone tours a zany galaxy that parodies dozens of aspects of sci-fi pop-culture in an uproariously funny adventure while both finding himself and saving the day.  I think that's no mean feat in a plot!

BEST DIALOGUE -Witty or insightful, but never neither.  Who can forget the rants of Ace Kilnobi, the Viet Centauri vet, the casual snarkiness of Jimmy Thnozz the photo bug, or the familiarity-breeds-contempt exchanges between Forbert and Quadra, his long-time wife who has been grafted onto his abdomen? 

BEST NON-PLAYER CHARACTER -I've had a lot of positive responses about the Ace Kilnobi character (Viet Centauri vet).  His outrageous relapses and the shady atmosphere of his den combined to make him very memorable.

BEST PUZZLES -Every puzzle was logical and yet challenging in its own way.  Without giving too much away, players have responded positively to the photo-development sequence, the potato = death mystery, and the walk-without-rhythm puzzle.

BEST ANIMATION -This game has hundreds of animations, involving both background characters and almost every conceivable action by the main character, from getting flushed to being eaten by a dinosaur, from fist-fighting a clown to dancing up a storm.  Also, who could forget the intense fight sequence involving Master Yogo the martial arts expert?

BEST DOCUMENTATION - Well, it was only a five page PDF but it was pretty funny, besides relaying technical and game information.  It appeared to have been published in the Intergalactic Intergazette on Jebsday, the 36th of Pentember, 2997. 

I leave it to you to decide whether or not it is worth nominating.  Just don't not nominate it because you haven't played it: that would be copping out.

Baron

FSi++

Oh, this is For Your Consideration thread.

Then consider:
- Help! the game for best demo
- CoMATtCEHoSVD for best story and backgrounds
- Text Parser Game for... oh yeah, we don't have p3n1s anymore.
- Plan10 from My Pants! for best non-adventure.
- Me Go Cannibal Jungle for stuff
- Alienation - for best backgrounds and stuff

That's the ones I am least ashamed of...

DoorKnobHandle

Let's see. How about Revelation for Best Programming and Best Non-Adventure Game Created with AGS?

Justification: there are only two platformer-based games with AGS (the really old James Bond thingie and 1213 - Art of Theft used the same engine as 1213) and none of these were written in less than 3 weeks for a MAGS, none of these gave you multiple weapons and none of these allowed players to create and share their own levels with walls, enemies, power-ups, etc. Programming such a game with AGS is a challenge. If you don't believe me, just try doing it yourself. :p Especially hard is the moving across ledges, waypoints for enemies, shooting, special fx (smoke when bullets hit wall) and of course, parsing the own level file-format correctly.

HillBilly

Please consider:

"Earl Mansin: The Breakout"

Earl Mansin gots(for the most):

A criminally insane homicidal psychopath - Best Player Character
Mood-capturing soundtrack by Ariel "Svartberg" Chai - Best Music
High quality voice acting with a lot of character - Best Voice Acting
Backgrounds I had to re-do twice just to make them look good - Best Background Art
Features both video cutscenes and in-game animations - Best Animation
At some occasions the puzzles makes sense kind of - Best Puzzles

MashPotato

For your kind consideration:

It's got 2 rooms! -- Best Short Game
It's got logical puzzles that can be done in any order! -- Best Puzzles
It's got funny descriptions and dialogue! -- Best Dialogue
It's got a lovable yet depressing starving artist... who, uh, has a cold! -- Best Player Character

Thanks for your time :)

blowie

Yo, bitches!

If you know what's good for you, you'll not only nominate The Crackwell Legacy for the P3N1S Award, you'll bring the award back especially so it can win it!

- Blowie the Ghost

TheJBurger

Quote from: blowie on Tue 15/01/2008 04:07:09
Yo, bitches!

If you know what's good for you, you'll nominate The Crackwell Legacy for the P3N1S Award!
- Blowie the Ghost

I would, but that award has been canceled this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk