Vacations To Pay - The project is dead!

Started by Matti, Thu 22/05/2008 15:35:29

Previous topic - Next topic

Matti

It's just a working title. I don't know yet how I'm going to name the game.

You have three days to get enough money to pay a train-ticket and spend your vacations in some other country.

Some things I should mention:

When I first came in touch with the editor in late 2006 I just started off and drawed a bar and some people in it. Then I let it down for a year and started again last december. I didn't have a plot, just some pictures and characters. I wanted to use them and I used the idea of the player character going to get money just to have an easy plot where my already drawed stuff could fit in. So the plot is in fact a bit "thin" (as SSH stated in his blog). All I'm doing is adding some (hopefully) entertaining actions, dialogs and locations to that plot. It's all somehow an experiment, but I think the outcome will be something that is worth to be played.

As for the drug trips: I didn't include them because I'm a junky or something. The reason was more of an artistic nature. I wanted to add some psychedelic stuff that wouldn't fit the usual everyday- setting I use for the game, so I thought: Why not let the player have hallocinogene drugs? The problem is that I'd also like to make a sci-fi game or a surrealistic game but I don't know if this will ever happen, so I'm always willing to put elements of other ideas in this game which is not going to work.

I don't think I'll add a second chapter like I originally planned. Instead I'll add some stuff to the town to make it more interesting.

I try to get this game done this year as I'm considering making another game.

-----------------------------

As for now the game features... a thief, a dealer, cops, a demonstration, psychedelic drug trips, lots of dialogs, plotchanging according to the player's decisions.. and some animals..

Technical aspects:
- Large animated sprites (like a car and a train wagon)
- 800x600 32-bit resolution (yeah, it's a bit slow)
- 30 MB filesize so far (not zipped)

NEWS

June 29.:

Good news, everyone. I fixed my .NET Framwork problem and can finally work with the editor again. I still have to do a lot of studying for the exams next month but I'll do some scripting and characterart in the meanwhile.

PROGRESS

Plot/Puzzles: 80%
Backgrounds: 40% (6 Rooms finished, 7 in progress, ~3 left)
Character(-animation): 25%
Scripting: 10%
Music / Sound: 40%

OK, here are some first impressions.

The screenshots are taken from a 2000 px long bar, that could be called the center of the town, basically due to its size and the number of persons in it.

First screenshot: Updated characters and Inventory, July 7.

Dualnames

Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Darth Mandarb

Sounds interesting enough!

However ... if you want/need feedback on the graphics (other than "looks good!") please post in the Critics Lounge for that!  Just use this thread for updates on the progress/production of the game!

Good luck!

Alarconte

I like the idea, Is Life-Like, center the story in a location and make it differente with different characters well the player go trougth story.

And I to say that the the female art is hot ;)

Luck!
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

m0ds

Looks really nice! I'd like to have a go when its ready :)

Nacho

I think there is an in-game. You gotta locate the red stars in each room.
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Matti

@Nacho:

Yeah, perhaps I should change the task to "Find all the red stars!"..

Edit: Sorry, misunderstood your comment. I thought, you wanted me to PLACE a star in every room, but, yes, you're right: There IS a star in every room. But's that's just the bar, no star in other rooms..  ;)

@Mods:

For I am doing all the stuff on my own it will really take a while to finish it..

The character walking (haven't done the up and down cycles yet).

Darth Mandarb

Quote from: Darth Mandarb on Thu 22/05/2008 16:33:40However ... if you want/need feedback on the graphics (other than "looks good!") please post in the Critics Lounge for that!  Just use this thread for updates on the progress/production of the game!

Matti

Yes, sorry. Next time I'll post it there..

Edit: I deleted the map. Was too early to show anyway..

Nacho

I think that placing a star in every room, not just in the bar, should be a nice ingame ^_^. If my vote counts, go on with it!  :D
Are you guys ready? Let' s roll!

Cyrus

I agree. Try to hide the stars (so it won't be so easy) and to prepare an Easter Egg for those who collect all of them.

SuperDre

Looks great... keep up the great work.. ;)

neon

Will there be a german version? I'm asking because of the 'Billardtisch' description.

IndieBoy

Looks very nice. Will be keeping an eye on this :D Good Luck with the project ;D
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

Matti

Thanks for encouraging me, everyone.

@Neon:

Yes! Currently I'm writing everything in german. I'll have it translated to English when it's finished, but there'll definitely be a german version available.

ThreeOhFour

I thought I commented on this one but now I look I cannot see a comment by me  ???

Anyhow.

Promising screenshots and animation. Only thing I wish is that you'd draw the inventory items rather that photograph them, however as Darth points out this is not the Critic's Lounge and therefore I should not really be mentioning this. ;D

I hope to play this game soon :)

Matti

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 31/05/2008 17:19:32Promising screenshots and animation.

Thanks.

Quote from: Ben304 on Sat 31/05/2008 17:19:32Only thing I wish is that you'd draw the inventory items rather that photograph them,

I planned that anyway and I'll redraw the items soon.

neon

Quote from: matti on Sat 31/05/2008 14:39:27
Thanks for encouraging me, everyone.

@Neon:

Yes! Currently I'm writing everything in german. I'll have it translated to English when it's finished, but there'll definitely be a german version available.

Ok, thanks for the info.

The graphics are very nice, especially the paintings on the walls. This kind of detail gives the game a very individual style.

Alarconte

Yes, surely will be a game to remember by his unique graphics, almost be me :D
"Tiny pixelated boobies are the heart and soul of Castlevania"

Galactic Battlefare Capital Choice Part 1 , finished, releasing soon
GBF CC Part 2, WIP

Matti

Here are new screenies:

The street in front of the bar is almost finished now (and I replaced the lantern with a tree, looks nicer).

The other one is a nearby "almost-everything-you-need"-shop, which will be well-stocked soon.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk