Stargate Adventure Problem

Started by renaldz, Wed 02/07/2008 15:14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

renaldz

I have played this game before and really enjoyed it, so i have decided to try it again.
Now when i go to play it all i see is the 'Sektor 13' logo. After this i can hear the sound but all i get is a black screen.

Please help me.
Thank's

Khris

After the logo a video is played. You're probably missing the codec.
Press escape and you should end up at the title screen.

renaldz

I tried to re-download the newest codec's but thats has not helped. I also tried pressing escape but that also did not work. Any other ideas?

Khris

It's encoded using Xvid. Install the latest version, then try again.

renaldz

ok so i have just downloaded xvid and installed it, but now what?
I have tried the game but no luck again.
Does anybody have like a guide on how to get the game working right from downloading.

Leon

I can reproduce the problem. It's not the codec since just playing the intro1.avi works fine. When starting the game, you see the logo then the screen turns black. You hear the sound though. Just like renaldz said...

Trying to figure out what's happening here...

[update] Uninstalling/Installing doesn't help really. Also the older versions of SGA don't work. They have more files though... (dll's). The logo you see isn't from the avi.

@renaldz: Did you previous play it on another system/os/installation?
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

neon

A codec problem has been discovered with the german release of 'The Abbey'. It didn't help to install new codecs, people had to uninstall the old codec packs before installing new ones. Maybe this helps.

renaldz

But what codec packs will i need to uninstall and how would i do it. I have divx on my pc and now xvid so i wouldn't know if that effects anything.

Ultra Magnus

Try these suggestions and report back.

I never did get around to solving this, myself. :-\
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

I'm tired of pretending I'm not bitchin', a total frickin' rock star from Mars.

renaldz

Nope still no luck. I have uninstalled divx and also xvid and re-installed one at a time but to no avail.

Really annoying me now as i was able to play it not so long ago!

Leon

I've got it working! I indeed uninstalled fddshow and then (re)installed xvid codec. Game is working in all modes now. Need several reboots though.
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

renaldz

After uninstalling fddshow and reinstalling divx it is working fine now.
Thanks everyone

Sektor 13

AGS have some problems with videos, the easiest way is to remove intro.avi from games directory and watch it in media player.
Run the game without the AVI file in the dir, it should give you some error but it work fine...

Neil

I had the exact same problem.  However I fixed it without changing, installing or uninstalling any codecs.  This is how I did it.
1- I converted intro1.avi to intro1.mpg using "magic video converter" (other video converter programs might also work).
2- Then using "command prompt" (usually found in your startup menu under programs/accessories) I renamed intro1.mpg to intro1.avi (in command prompt type "ren intro1.mpg intro1.avi" without the quote marks).

Hope this helps.  It worked for me.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk