Thanatus - Death from the Stars :: DEMO available!

Started by AJA, Sat 05/07/2008 22:38:15

Previous topic - Next topic

AJA

From the guys who brought you the OROW winners The Heist, How many... and Alone in the Night, comes a new and exciting adventure game filled with humor. (Just like the title suggests.) A game that's been in development for almost two years (and it's still nowhere near finished). Evolum Games proudly presents...

Story

Vincent wakes up from a terrible nightmare: a huge rock from outer space was headed towards the Kingdom of Colvennen. The dream felt so real it must've been a vision of the future. If the asteroid hits the planet, the consequences will be disastrous. Vincent decides to consult the vast knowlegde and wisdom of the mages without delay.

Screenshots

Visit the International House of Mages.

Try your luck with hang-gliding.

Blow dust off of very very old books.

Team

Ari Huuskonen (MadReizka)
Design, writing, background art, music

Aki Ahonen (AJA)
Design, writing, scripting

Sam Dobbs
Writing, proofreading

Actors

Aki Ahonen
Ari Huuskonen
Tommi Kivistö (Ishmael)
Joni Ahonen

Features

- Resolution: 320x200
- Gorgeous 3D background art
- Live actors with tons of animations (check "Alone in the Night" for a preview)
- Wacky characters
- Video cutscenes
- Original soundtrack
- Voice acting, hopefully
- And probably more!

Progress

- Graphics   50%
- Puzzles   95%
- Scripting   50%
- Music/sound   5%
- Cutscenes   0%

MadReizka

Man, I just cant get enough of that dancing dude.
I do music and visual effects:
http://www.distantshitfilms.net/personal/

Dualnames

Thanatus= the correct word for death in greek is Thanatos. Just mentioning.
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

AJA

We decided to use the Latin version of the word because it sounds nicer. :)

nihilyst

Though Thanatus has not been recorded in any Latin text ^^ But hell, who cares? The game looks nice and the style is magnificent.

Peder 🚀

Sweet ;D.

Now this makes me think how do you manage to do such animation? (dancing man)
I mean, as it clearly looks like its done in real life :-\.

DazJ

Very good! In our original plot for our game, we set it in Greece on an island called Thanatos, weird coincidence! :)

AJA

Thanks very much for your comments!

Quote from: Peder Johnsen on Sun 06/07/2008 11:48:29
Now this makes me think how do you manage to do such animation? (dancing man)
I mean, as it clearly looks like its done in real life :-\.

The actors are shot against a green screen with a camcorder. Then we just remove the green parts, drop the frame rate, do some color correction, and we have a nice "realistic" animation.

Quote from: nihilyst on Sun 06/07/2008 00:32:32
Though Thanatus has not been recorded in any Latin text ^^ But hell, who cares?

Yes, well... This game really has nothing to do with our real world, so in the game it might mean something totally different. You'll see. :P

Quote from: DazJ on Sun 06/07/2008 11:51:06
Very good! In our original plot for our game, we set it in Greece on an island called Thanatos, weird coincidence! :)

Heh, one of the other reasons we chose "Thanatus" is that it doesn't get as many hits in google as "Thanatos" does.

Ishmael

This is looking promising. And yet another addition to my acting portfolio I'm too ashamed to show anyone :=
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

Makeout Patrol

Quote from: AJA on Sat 05/07/2008 22:38:15

(blooper footage)

This should be the "wait" cursor

This looks pretty awesome, actually! I'm looking forward to that demo.

Ubel

Serpent Pictures is taking over the game industry...

Great looking game guys!

Rd27

Heh, looking good.

I wish you guys luck to finish this project :).

CosmoQueen

This looks great!! I can't wait :)

By the way, I haven't played your previous games so I'll be sure to go and check them out.
KPop and AGS....................that is my life.

MadReizka

Great news guys! The project has been canceled!

No, not really. The news are that the demo will be out this weekend! We are almost done with it, and AJA has been hard working to sort out the bugs and gettin everything in order. We are stoked to give you guys some preview on whats to come when the game is finished (hopefully it will, because there is ALOT of work to be done). And, ofcourse we want to hear what you think of it. So stay tuned, few more days and you will be playin the demo of Thanatus - Death from the Stars!

Cya.

dirk delshire

The real life green screen style reminds me of another adventure game I loved as a kid.
Ripley's believe it or not: The Riddle of Master Lu
Thats was an awesome game and you got to play as Ripley himself.
I hope your game comes out as well as it did.  ;D
OMEGA Works Lead Director
Sometimes the art defines the artist but I believe artist defines himself...

MadReizka

You're right. I needed to google that to find some screenshots, and indeed, there are some similarities. Our game looks 200 times more better though ;)

Ishmael

Hm, I actually have that game somewhere so if I can get it to work I can do a side by side comparison...
I used to make games but then I took an IRC in the knee.

<Calin> Ishmael looks awesome all the time
\( Ö)/ ¬(Ö ) | Ja minähän en keskellä kirkasta päivää lähden minnekään juoksentelemaan ilman housuja.

robvalue

This is looking really good! I look forward to playing it :)

MadReizka

Today is the day. Next update will be made by AJA and will contain the link to the demo! Stay tuned!

AJA

The demo you've all been waiting for... at least one or two of you... is finally released!

Download

Go and play it right now!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk