The Vestibule [never to be finished]

Started by abstauber, Tue 29/07/2008 12:42:37

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Hi there,
again another ancient announcement. I hope, this is the right place to post, since this is not a game in progress, but also it's not really a complete game. It's more like a relic - a demo of a never to be finished game and therefore somehow completed. There's probably nothing to come after anymore.

Anyhow - say hello to The Vestibule

A game was intended to be done by myself, Yahtzee, Captain Mostly and mods.
During the development (ended 2001), a certain team member decided to take break from amateur adventures and so the development came to an end (and caused another certain team member to take a break too ;))

So what's left of this game is now to be released. Short but fun.
Download:
vestibule.zip (6.2 mb)

Screenshot: Intro

Screenshot: During the game

Screenshot: Interactive readme and adventure playing tutorial

You might need Dosbox for this game since this has been compiled with AGS 2.15 SR2 (dos mode).

Jon

The game looks really good, downloading now.

EDIT: The game is quite short but the tutorial is very good, maybe this could be released as a separate game for users new to AGS. I also love the ending ;)

abstauber

Don't be too disappointed - it's really really short (hardly a game)

Cyrus

What was its plot going to be like ? There's only a tiny bit of it in the demo.

abstauber

Well.. it continues with you puzzling your way out of an elefant farm  := The characters and backgrounds had been already finished but the dialogs unfortunately...   ::)

The story iteself is about an epic journey... blablabla...  no seriously, it was quite unique ;) It's not that easy to summarize that story, but I might post it somewhere (6 pages doc) but I also might ask Cpt. Mostly first.

FireOrange

abstauber gräbt seine Leichen aus... ;)

I just checked the intro now, but it looks like a very nice game. Very sad that this one has never been finished. :(

wpowell

Resurrect this game, abstauber. the graphics are great and cool. The only problem is the first screenshot it seems to be too dark so it is a little hard to see the scene. But please resurrect this abandoned game. In fact, if anyone wants to start a petition on this site or any site to protect this piece of game history then start it and also make a group up called the Resurrection Society. The slogan would be "Game abandoned, game restored." Thanks.

abstauber

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm still a little upset about the Vestibule (even after all those years ;) )

@wpowell:
I'm not sure, if this game is ever going to be developed by the same team again (the sun might freeze over  earlier). However I've got material (backgrounds + sprites) for about 3 rooms left.
So if anyone wants to continue on The Vestibule, drop me a PM. If it really gets ported to AGS 3.0 and those 3 rooms have been added, I might do the graphics again.

For the first room - there's also a "daylight" version of it, which is brighter.

Cyrus

Does the whole game take place in jungle?

abstauber

Well, if you count buildings inside the jungle as jungle too.. then yes  :)

But we also planned to spend some time in the after life (The land of eternal cake), everything else takes place in a village and its surroundings (being the jungle).

Cyrus

Why does the game have such title?

abstauber

Just play the ga.... no wait, you probably can't do that  ::)

Spoiler

The Vestibule is the entry to the land of eternal cake. Furthermore the vestibule is the crossroad for Stone and maybe the whole society he's living in.
[close]

abstauber

Here's the whole deal... The Story of Vestibule

Just as it was sent to me in 2001 ;)

@Captain Mostly: PM me if you want this to be taken down.

m0ds

The game that invented Mittens? :D I'm going to play as soon as I can, so thanks for putting this back online absy! If you do consider reworking it, I'm always happy to help. Doubt you'd get Yahtzee back for it tho...hehe

Captain Mostly

Gosh! Blast from the past!

Strange re-reading the plot! I didn't remember any of it - my main memory of the game is the awesome underground bit in the demo...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk