Eye of the Tempest - a 3-D RPG

Started by Radiant, Wed 03/09/2008 22:30:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Radiant

Eye of the Tempest

Well, the people over at Mittens have already seen it in action. The folk from Crystal Shard are working on Eye of the Tempest, a 3-d dungeon RPG made in AGS, reminiscent of such classics as Lands of Lore. Featuring dozens of spells, skills and monsters.

Here's some sample music. We do not have an official release date yet.

Artwork by Cris, Fizzii and Meerbat. Music by Bosa. Scripting by yours truly.

InCreator

Looks great!
Suggestion: It looks a bit sterile. Maybe try adding a black semi-transparent (gradient/soft brush) layer with shadows and darkness over it.
It would give much-much better atmosphere and yet you wouldn't have to redraw your walls and floors.

Is it going to have real-time :( or turn-based :) combat?

But!

Make sure you make a map. A working, well readable map.
Which shows your position and direction.
It's 2008. Games aren't meant to make people bald anymore.

I always hated RPGs like this because there was no map.

**cries

Radiant

Thanks!

Quote from: InCreator on Wed 03/09/2008 23:07:11
Make sure you make a map. A working, well readable map.

See that 'scroll' button in the lower right corner? Guess what it does  ;D

(aside from that, several Mitteneers suggested that the interface needs a small automap always visible, so I'll be putting that in shortly)

.M.M.

Looks really interesting! :D When it could be released (in 2008???) ? I like how many things the player can equip!

wpowell

Sounds very similar to the non-AGS game called Eye of the Beholder (which I have never downloaded yet). It's not the interface that makes me say this it is the name (good, by the way) and it being RPG. Since Eye of the Beholder was sort of RPG I would think that your game could have an interface like it or keep the interface you already have. Good luck on this project. I will estimate this project end around October 12, 2008 (just a rough guess). Thanks  :)

Buckethead

I don't really fance these 3d graphics they look like there were premade or something. Textures look rendered with a texture filter and the models also look kinda random.

But I'm sure it will play well as all Crystal shard's games are fun to play.  :)

LimpingFish

Quote from: Buckethead on Fri 05/09/2008 21:27:08
I don't really fance these 3d graphics they look like there were premade or something. Textures look rendered with a texture filter and the models also look kinda random.

As far as I can tell those are pre-made Daz3D models. I don't see any problem with using pre-existing resources such as these; after all, that's what they're made for. I would guess that these aren't completely finished graphics, as there's slight pixelation around the edges of those characters. Rendering them as alpha channel PNGs would improve that a lot.

Example 1 (Using the same model as the second screen: Daz3D's Earth Elemental)
Example 2 (With background)

Apologies for any off-topicness. :)

Steam: LimpingFish
PSN: LFishRoller
XB: TheActualLimpingFish
Spotify: LimpingFish

Zyargeikunn

I think it looks just like on of the later Might and Magic games and i totally dig those games, so I'm really looking forward to this one.

Baron

Hey, it kind of looks like MOTLPAA, but with more interactions.  Have you been recycling ideas, Radiant?  Anyway, looks interesting.

Nikolas

Just wanted to say that it's looking extra extra good. And it sounds good as well! :)

Well done guys (and dear Fizzi of course). :)

dirk delshire

In the second screen shot the "Bosa's" head is cut off by the roof you might want to make the character layer the top one so you don't get that problem. The graphics remind me of the original Doom with 3d environments and 2d sprites.
OMEGA Works Lead Director
Sometimes the art defines the artist but I believe artist defines himself...

Rd27

This looks very interesting! I really hope that the battle-system works nicely, it is the heart of these games in my opinion :).

Radiant

Thanks for all the positive reactions, everybody!

Quote from: wpowell on Thu 04/09/2008 23:34:26
Sounds very similar to the non-AGS game called Eye of the Beholder (which I have never downloaded yet).
Yes, that is intentional, because I have fond memories of Eye of the Beholder. Took me ages to get those special quests down, too. The interface is slightly different to allow for different kinds of attacks (like Team Attack and Whirlwind Strike).

Quote from: Buckethead on Fri 05/09/2008 21:27:08
I don't really fance these 3d graphics they look like there were premade or something.
I dropped you a PM; if you have suggestions I'd be happy to hear them.

Quote from: LimpingFish on Sat 06/09/2008 01:34:31
Rendering them as alpha channel PNGs would improve that a lot.
I'm not sure if that's possible in terms of performance. The game already does more rawdrawing than is entirely healthy :)

Quote from: BaRoN on Sun 07/09/2008 03:54:35
Hey, it kind of looks like MOTLPAA, but with more interactions.
Indeed, it was based on the MOTLPAA engine. In fact this is what I had in mind when I first wrote MOTLPAA, only I didn't have time back then.

Buckethead

I still haven't seen you on msn. Will send you some suggestions soon  :)

Radiant

Quote from: Buckethead on Fri 12/09/2008 09:28:15
I still haven't seen you on msn. Will send you some suggestions soon  :)

That's probably due to time zones? I'm easiest to reach during evenings, GMT. But then you haven't told me your MSN screen name so I can't see when you're online :)

Neutron

whoa, AGS supports 3D now?  I guess I have been away for awhile ha.  Hey, let me know if you need some 3D objects, I am fairly skilled with blender. 

beomoud

This looks very good. What i like the most is the direction this game is heading, it seems to be evolving into a completely different kind of game than the majority of ags games. In fact i am making an rpg of my own and it has took me more than a year so far so i am a little bit jealous. I started with  full detail models but i realised that i had to change my approach if i wanted to complete it in a realistic time frame. I just wanted to ask you... how many people are you working on this, how far you have gotten, in what time and are these models yours or have you used models from elsewhere...

Thanks and keep up the excellent work!

bicilotti

Looks impressive scriptwise (a-mazing oh oh oh)! Good luck with it and let us know when you'll set a release date!

Radiant

Quote from: Neutron on Fri 26/09/2008 05:23:42
Hey, let me know if you need some 3D objects, I am fairly skilled with blender. 
Thank you for the offer, I've dropped you a PM.

Quote from: beomoud on Fri 17/10/2008 12:50:24
I just wanted to ask you... how many people are you working on this, how far you have gotten, in what time and are these models yours or have you used models from elsewhere...
The core team is four people. We've got all of the music, about half of the graphics, 90% of the coding, and 20% of the level data. Does that help? :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk