Hourgame Saturday [finished] [play the 6 games and vote!]

Started by , Sat 21/11/2009 09:41:39

Previous topic - Next topic

bicilotti

Hourgame Saturday

The purpose of Hourgame Saturday is, to encourage the amateur game-making, or to put it bluntly, to make you tear your ass off your chair and finally make something.
In this activity your task is to make an AGS game within a strict and a very short deadline (i.e. one hour).

Timeline:
The event takes place Saturday, starting at 7:00 pm GMT, when the theme is revealed on the IRC and in this thread. The participants then have one hour to make their entries and 15 more minutes for uploading. In brief: the deadline for entries is 8:15 pm GMT.
Then the voting takes place till the Monday Morning.

Basic rules:
- Participants can join IRC for rules and updates (3 easy steps to IRC), but every information will be posted here too, so it's your choice.
- The theme is set by the previous week's winner and by the contest's host in event of his/her absence.
- While it is not forbidden for the theme-setters to participate in the activity, their games cannot be voted for (to prevent accusations of cheating and to discourage regular participation).
- Instead, theme-setters are encouraged to draw trophies for the contest's winners.
- Making your game from scratch is strongly encouraged, though it is not forbidden to use music or artwork from public sources if you are allowed to (e.g. using public domain music tracks in your game is OK, but not really necessary). It is also possible to use a pre-existent AGS template for your game (e.g. that Verb-Coin GUI template).
- You cannot use the stuff you've made earlier, because this competition is about making something new.

Uploading:
Suggested hosts to upload your entry to are:
- TerranRich's ShutUpload
- http://www.mediafire.com/
- http://www.sendspace.com/
- http://www.rapidshare.com/
- Or your own place.

Voting:
Just tell us your favourite game (and possibly a couple of less favourite ones), and hopefully someone will do the counting.

Important: please post here if you'd like to join but the timeline is not ok for you! Slight changes are always possible!

bicilotti

3 easy steps for joining IRC (no download / no hassle)

1 - go to mibbit
2 - click on server and on "Server Name" enter: "irc.adventuregamestudio.co.uk"
3 - on "Channel" enter "#ags", choose a nickname and click "go"!

Bulbapuck

I have very little time today, but I'm in for a 30min game :P

bicilotti

Rules

This week's rules are a bit different:

- Download this tune (.ogg format.mp3 format )
- Make a game that fits the tune
- Since this time you have to listen to the theme (and download it), you got 15 more minutes than usual (i.e. dealdline: 20:30 GMT)

While you are downloading it, you may want to read about SeekMP3PosMillis() int the manual (and the Music and sound part too).

The tune was composed by ShiverMeSideways! Let me thank him here, you did a great job dude!

mirrors for the track http://www.mediafire.com/?dmgtzldnknm http://www.mediafire.com/?w2mvhz2nyyn

Dataflashsabot

<Dataflashsabot>: Well, unable to make a game I made a 'joke game' that's the least funny thing ever, consisting of random statements lasting ten seconds and ending in an error message. I'm kinda tempted to upload it anyway
<Matt>: might as well
And so it's his fault that ARGH came into being.

FSi++

PowerCow: Träumend

Er. Yeah. :=

Edit: fixed the link, the game is now a lot better.

Bulbapuck

Harry, the wannabe pirate:
http://shutupload.com/dl/87743edb4218/

Have fun!

And here's a beatable version :=
download here and not above

Akatosh

Take the music.vox from this file
and the other ones from this

(or this one, but that was technically finished after the deadline)

Sorry for any inconvenience, stuff may not actually work and/or go out of sync, I had no time to playtest. Concept was too frigging ambitious.

/EDIT: Goes out of sync if you ? the first or ! the second peasant or ! the second living soldier see the "waiting" cursor. So read fast.

/EDIT2: Not if you use the version I linked to third. Complicated I know.

bicilotti

Babar

The ultimate Professional Amateur

Now, with his very own game: Alien Time Zone

bicilotti

Thanks once again to ShiverMeSideways for his awesome track and to TerranRich for his awesome upload site.

Vote & comment now!

ShiverMeSideways

Hello, everyone! Before I begin voting, I'd like to say a big thank you to Bicilotti for allowing me to participate in this week's hourgame and many equal thanks to all the gamemakers who were pleased with the song, I really enjoyed making it! :D

Now, then, the stand-out games for me were FSi's and NsMn's. While NsMn had pretty graphics and a small puzzle, I'll have to vote for FSi because he did exactly what I had in mind for the song. I conceived and named it as an overture, therefore the best place for it is in a game intro. Not only did he do that, but he also added the battle after the intro! Both parts were equally funny, and the length added to my vote as well.

Another honorable mention is Bulbapuck yet again, as he did add some puzzling and dialog in there.

Good job, everyone!

Oliwerko

First thing, Shiver - that song is wonderful. Simple as that.

ARGH cracked me up with the error in the end, but...well, I missed something more...substantial?  ;D

Island of the lost blackboard graphics was very nicely drawn, a shame that it's so short.

FSi's Powercow was something evil, almost made me quit before the fight  ;D

I somehow couldn't get past the woman in Akatosh's game, which is a shame, it had a nice atmosphere.

And bulbapuck - that was awesome, the colors hurt my eyes, but the dialog was just awesome.

Overall - my vote goes to MsMn; i felt that it was THAT kind of atmosphere I wanted to see by the track and the graphics were very appealing. Them, together with the song reminded me of 5DAS, which is probably the best thing an adventure can do for me  :)

Akatosh

Quote from: Oliwerko on Sun 22/11/2009 08:47:46
I somehow couldn't get past the woman in Akatosh's game, which is a shame, it had a nice atmosphere.

Just in case anybody was interested, the correct sequence of actions should be something like

Spoiler
Wait until the medieval war scene
? and ! the corpse
Wait until it's the tranquil castle scene again
? and ! the peasant
Wait for the next transition
! the red soldier
Wait until the next transition
! the blue soldier
Wait for the next loop to begin, then quickly ! the survivor
Wait for the end, then ! the General Ripper expy
Be disappointed by the ending.

Fun how a game called 160 Seconds an Adventure cannot possibly be completed in less than 480 seconds without cheating, huh?
[close]

As for my thoughts... well, watch this space, I still have to play some of those games.

Okay, played them all now... I liked all of them quite a bit (even if ARGH featured Comic "Satan" Sans! >:() and I had a hard time deciding for whom to vote... in the end, however, I'll go with FSi, both for the visual style and the dialogue.

And ShiverMeSideways does, indeed, r0xx0r.

bicilotti

Vote time!

ARGH: joke entry (even for this kind of competition), but I appreciate how the tune mixed well with the general atmosphere of the game. Also, the end-error looks much like Pmdee's a walk in da tomb.

160 seconds an adventure: the first playthrough I didn't understand the commands, the GUI, the story, the characters, the setting and the general meaning of it. Upon replaying (with the help of some hints) I enjoyed very much. The "vicious circle" exploits the ShiverMeSideways' tune in a great manner. There are simple and logical puzzles, the end is fair and rewarding.

PowerCow: quite funny, had ASCII graphics (which are a definite plus) and a cute Cthulu. Also the music is well placed. Said that, unskippable intros are *evil*.

Babar's game: it is a solid production, even though I expected a bit more since it was given a time extension. Probably the best graphics of all 6 games (and the one with most logical puzzles).

NsMn game: great use of the music (for the intro screen, which closely reminds of Monkey Island I) and nice graphics. I failed to get the story, but that's a minor thin when you compare to working walk/talk animations and the various responses on "look at main character" and "interact with main character".

Harry the wannabe pirate: fun, multiple endings, a sensible puzzle and vulgar dialogues. Oh, a readme too. It scores high in every department, but I feel the music hasn't really to do much with the game.

So, my choice is Akatosh. His games managed to capture the soul of the music, and to be immensely frustrating like the ones of the good old days.
Also, ShiverMeSideways rocks.

Bulbapuck

Great job guys!

ARGH: It made me laugh, which is what I assume you were going for there, so good job!

Island of the lost blackboard graphics: Quite a neat little game that cought the atmosphere of the tune well.

PowerCow: Träumend: Brilliant!

Harry, the wannabe pirate: What an awful game! You should be ashamed good sir! And what kind of name is bulbapuck anyway?

160 seconds the adventure: I quite like the idea of this, but it was a bit hard to follow.

Babar's game which had no name which is why I call it Steve: Steve was quite an intresting game! It fitted the tune well.

My vote goes to FSi because it was incredibly funny :D and fitted the tune well.

bicilotti

FSi and his evil game win!

Congrats to him, to all the other participants and to ShiverMeSideways!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk