Another pixel art tutorial

Started by abstauber, Thu 14/01/2010 15:19:50

Previous topic - Next topic

abstauber

Hi there,

I've just finished a pixel art tutorial covering this background:

I know, that there are quite a lot tutorials covering pixelart so I tried to move focus more towards the creation of a coherent background.

Here it is:
http://shatten.sonores.de/2010/01/12/how-we-make-our-graphics/

I hope you'll like it :)

Danman

Great work abstauber i wondered how you did those backgrounds on aeronuts. I will read through it tommorow

WHAM

Great tutorial! Very detailed, and since I use similiar techniques, I got a hell-of-an-inspiration to beef up my old backgrounds with the tips you point out here. (I have a LOT of empty wall space in mine)
Wrongthinker and anticitizen one. Pending removal to memory hole. | WHAMGAMES proudly presents: The Night Falls, a community roleplaying game

IndieBoy

Good job abstauber! I learnt a lot. Also that site for colours is awesome.
Quote from: Calin Elephantsittingonface on Tue 08/02/2011 09:00:55
The only person in favour of the mobs seems to be IndieBoy.. but he's scottish so we dont listen to him anyway.

abstauber

Thanks guys! So all the spelling mistakes didn't prevent you from reading :)

@Indie:
This site is even better: http://www.colourlovers.com/ 
Kuler is just better arranged and easier to understand :)

tzachs

This tutorial was really helpful, I've put it in my favorites....
If you'll ever feel like making a tutorial about how you did the character portraits in the game as well, I wouldn't complain.  ;)
Thanks, Astauber.

Shane 'ProgZmax' Stevens

I added this tutorial to the big list.

ashmc2

I loved this. I am just getting started and this is the kind of help I need. I have a few questions though if you don't mind.

1 - the doors are smaller than the characters are. Do you use scaling for this room?

2 - do you save your rooms with this large black outline?

abstauber

yay, my own spot at the fridge :)

@ashmc2
Great that you liked it. The easy way to answer your questions would be: just play the game already ;D

Quotethe doors are smaller than the characters are. Do you use scaling for this room?
Nope, I've just taken submarine doors as a base. Those are pretty small and sturdy so they can bear a lot of pressure. I remember being on a submarine once and almost hit my head on every door :)

Quotedo you save your rooms with this large black outline?
The final room in the game has an even bigger black area surrounding it (320x320). That's because the room shifts slightly up and down.

I've chosen the black void around the room to display it's small size. It also drags the focus to the room and strengthens the need for the player to get out of there again.

Of course I don't do this with landscape backgrounds ;)

Layabout

That is a really good and comprehensive tutorial. Really nice work there.
I am Jean-Pierre.

InCreator

It is absolutely awesome.

I wonder if you could do a tutorial about planning/idea -- I mean, I'm easily able to make such room, but I would never come to an idea to use such angles and shapes on room. Like that one room being higher with ceiling and so: where did you get such ideas?

Anyway, rock on!

Darth Mandarb

Excellent tutorial (and the English was just fine).

We actually have a very similar style of BG production.

Anyway, good work.

Iliya

I must say that this screenshot and tutorial are really good! Good work abstauber.

cat

Thanks for that great tutorial!

abstauber

Thanks again :)
Since I did the tutorial in german first and then translated it in one step, I've been afraid that the grammar somehow "stayed" german. But I'm relieved that this is not the fact (at least not through the whole document).

@InCreator:
I bet, some "real" artist could cover the section of planing way better than I can. I'll try it anyway :) I knew that I wanted to take it place in a carrier. And usually ships are space optimized - space ships as well, I took those angeled corners from Battlestar Galactica :)
So the structure of the room is dictated by it's position on the vessel and because of that, not all walls can be even - another reason for no 90° angels. The explaination for the different room heights is pretty cheesy. I simply wanted to draw just one room, but it had to perform  two tasks: One being Elfies puzzle and interaction room, the other one being the cell for her dad.
When I had the ceiling on the same level, the cell wasn't uncomfortable at all. It was more like her Dad might say: Come on, let's stay here forever :) So I had to make it smaller. Changing the width wasn't an option since I wanted the bed to stay so I chose the height.
Of course these decision are pretty easy if you're aware of the place of your room. Having a smaller room on the right implies (for me) that it might be near the hull and therefore its small. It also makes the prison a safer place because you can't escape through the right wall.

Maybe one day Kastchey writes a tutorial about composition... he's really good at creating convincing locations.

aventurero

Great tutorial, and great game, too :)
I know that this is maybe off topic, but... could you give me the link for the LucasArts verb GUI? thanks!
Code: ags
function iToxicWaste_Talk()
{
Display ("You eat the toxic waste. Obviously, you die.");
QuitGame (0);}

abstauber

Hehe, I'm glad you've enjoyed both the game and the tutorial.

The template is located here
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/yabb/index.php?topic=38874.0

Though it has been designed to work with AGS 3.2 which is still at beta-stage (or better: Release Candidate).
It's also included in AGS 3.2 RC3.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk