Living Nightmare Deluxe

Started by LRH, Mon 22/03/2010 22:28:28

Previous topic - Next topic

LRH

Well, it's ready.

I have to say I'm quite happy with it. While it may not be the best thing ever, it's something that can finally be taken seriously, it's what I always wanted the original to be.

To download, go here:
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/Newsite/Games.aspx/Detail/1294/Living_Nightmare_Deluxe

(Please vote/comment after playing.  :=)

WARNING: There are some scary moments that can make you jump. If you don't like that, read the spoilers text included with the game, or just don't play at all. :D

The plot is as such:
James isn't feeling very well. It's his 20th birthday and
he has come down with some sort of cold. This isn't too
unusual for April, it is very cold and rainy outside.

His family and friends visit, but James quickly calls off
the celebration after only an hour or so,
fearing that he will accidentally spread whatever illness he has.

However, what he
is dreading the most is how he will sleep, as through his
whole life, he has had strange dreams (mostly nightmares...)
and delusions whenever he sleeps while sick.

Although he no longer fears the nightmares as he had in the
past, James is certainly no fan of becoming delusional and
suffering from incredibly light sleep.

Dreading the worst to come, James decides to write to his
journal to take his mind off of things, but ends up writing
about his current situation. Thinking about the nightmare(s?) sure
to come, James can't help but think of the very first time it had
happened, and begins to think back to the experience...

You then take control of the 5-year-old James in the memories
of the now 20-year-old James.

Commentary video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSZ5GDzzZuk

Dualnames

Faster than the speed of light, and wow, I'm really glad this is out!!
Worked on Strangeland, Primordia, Hob's Barrow, The Cat Lady, Mage's Initiation, Until I Have You, Downfall, Hunie Pop, and every game in the Wadjet Eye Games catalogue (porting)

Danman

OK Domithan got the game. Playing very cool. Very original too. Just walking around trying to figure how to look out the window. ;D .. I like the story too. Good work I can't say I would've done much better.  :P

Edit: Me too glad this is out.. Really wanted to play it after I first saw it.  ;D

LRH

If you need help, feel free to start a thread in hints in tips, I'll be up for a while tonight. Thanks for the nice words, the both of you. :D

Danman

Quote from: Domithan on Mon 22/03/2010 23:27:51
If you need help, feel free to start a thread in hints in tips, I'll be up for a while tonight

Nah I am better then that. ;D .. At least for a hour or so. I love to play adventure games and win the whole thing but I get too frustrated too quick.
But I will try really hard with this one ;D

Leon

Wow, that's quick. I wasn't even finished with the second run. Some spelling errors I indicated haven't been corrected...  :-\

Nevertheless, a very nice game to play. Good story, well told. Good graphics to accompany it: simple, clear, not distracting from the main object.

Well done!
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

LRH

Sorry about that Leon, but I'm pretty positive everything was fixed... I'm not sure which part you mean.

In any case, glad you like it. :)

Leon

Found another thing: I crashed the game:

Error: unable to render character 0 (James) because loop 1 does not exist in view 3.

Occurs when:

Spoiler
Enter the basement in dream 3. Use the ruler on the dryer to get the bear. Use the toolbox (James sits down) and when moving around, he doesn't stand up anymore. At some positions the game crashes.
[close]
Ultimate Game Solutions - Because there is a solution for everything

LRH

Oh wow. I was positive I had fixed that...  :-\

In any case, I'll have a fix up in a second.

Edit: Fixed. Sorry to whoever downloaded version 1.0.

SarahLiz

This was a lot of fun!  Nice graphics!  And I proudly admit that I pretty much covered my eyes EVERY time I opened a door.   ::)

The only bug I see is in the last scene--using the hand icon on the washer, the game crashes.  I know that's not what I'm supposed to be doing in there anyway (seeing as how I've finished the game), but thought I'd throw that out there.  Luckily, I am a savegame-a-holic.   ;D

Very well done, I thoroughly enjoyed playing it!!

~Sarah

LRH

Hmm. I don't have that problem and I can't re-create the crash. Do you have version 1.1? I'm willing to bet this is the same thing Leon mentioned that I released a fix for earlier. Did you do anything special before trying to open it?

Very glad you liked it though :)

Danman

Yeah I just had the error that Leon described in the basement. Loop 1 does not exist in view 3.

A bit a of a pain cause I never saved it. :P .. Oh well I am going try the new version 1.1.

I am enjoying the puzzles a little bit irritating at some points but still good.

Edit: Ok replayed I was so close to the end  ;) .
Good story, Good graphics, OK puzzles and Animations were bearable  ;)

Good work. Not to mention Good scripting bugs were very minimal.

Saurabh

Gotta play it! looks nice...

LRH

Quote from: Danman on Tue 23/03/2010 10:38:42
Yeah I just had the error that Leon described in the basement. Loop 1 does not exist in view 3.

A bit a of a pain cause I never saved it. :P .. Oh well I am going try the new version 1.1.

I am enjoying the puzzles a little bit irritating at some points but still good.

Edit: Ok replayed I was so close to the end  ;) .
Good story, Good graphics, OK puzzles and Animations were bearable  ;)

Good work. Not to mention Good scripting bugs were very minimal.

Actually at this point I'm willing to say there are no bugs left after quick-fix 1.1... ???

In any case, thanks for the feedback.

Cogliostro

Somehow I missed the original Living Nightmare, but I have to say I liked this game.

Using a five-year old's continuous nightmare is an amazing storytelling device.  Basements at night can scare kids, the reason the player won't open the basement is that he's scared.  It made a perfect way to limit what the player can do.  Additionally, the music, sound effects, muted colors at night and especially the expression on James's face, all worked together to build the atmosphere.  The puzzles helped advance the story as well.  Expect for the one that didn't make sense... because it wasn't supposed to.

In order for this to be a useful post, I usually try to come up with something constructive to say.  In this case there isn't much to improve upon.   So I'm left with a lame suggestion of... better graphics would have been nice.   Of course I can't draw, so feel free to ignore me.

Keep up the good work,
Cogliostro
"First things first, but not necessarily in that order." - Dr. Who

MrCheminee

Played it, liked it!
Original story!

Jim Reed

Cryxo

I am just writing to congratulate you on making a brilliant atmosphere at the beginning of the game. I felt very nervous and turning round the corner or opening doors.

I am only ten minutes in, but I felt the need to do this before continuing    ;D
Currently working on "My Neighbour is a Serial Killer"
with a certain friend of mine called Geork.

LRH

Cryxo, Jim, cogliostro, MrCheminee,

Thank you all very much for the comments! They mean a lot to me and encourage me to work on a sequel. :P

david

just finished  :D
You built the plot and atmosphere whith a several changes so well that this one is really worth to play.
Very well Domithan
I am so excited what you will come up with next time  ;D

cheers

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk